IGNORED

Air Iceland - Mags

Selred

1 hour ago, devoncider said:

I really don't understand the Mags boo boys (and girls - especially that Michelle Owen on Robins on the wire who bashes him at any opportunity)

We played our best football with him at LB. Only young and learning at this level, defenders peak at 26-28. This guy will achieve far more than bcfc in the next 10 years imho...

How do I get to bash Owens back?

1 hour ago, brizzlecityfc said:

typical so called fan who judges a talent of player on a mistake. steven gerrard must be an awful player due to the chelsea slip. tierry henry must be sh*te due to the 1-2 pass side ways penalty with pires..list goes on.

guy set up several goals saved us goes and brought a stunning leg peg and out of this world throw in. 

grow up.  watch the full 90minutes of a game and assea amount of games and minutes a player gets. Hes going to CSK moscow for christ sake! clearly shows his talent. on a side note he was very good verus argentina yesterday defending against LIONEL MESSI!

He hasn’t made one mistake..!

Everyone can see, whether they believe he’s worth keeping or not, that he was pretty costly to us last season. 

I was really surprised how far forward he got - just look at their goal, he was ahead of the scorer and this was typical - he was sometimes their most advanced player.

He clearly has more of an engine than we have seen at City as he was up and down all game.

Why didn't LJ encourage this ability - I would never have described him as an attacking defender?

btw I think he shot before the goal rather than the cross box pass!!

Nice bloke & very marketable. However for the majority of his City career he was bang average & didn't seem capable of adapting to English football. Unfortunately you can't earn a living in the Championship  just from being pretty & throwing it a long way.

22 minutes ago, Cardy said:

Nice bloke & very marketable. However for the majority of his City career he was bang average & didn't seem capable of adapting to English football. Unfortunately you can't earn a living in the Championship  just from being pretty & throwing it a long way.

Bollocks, I'll have to look for a different career path.

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

You are right. 

It is a game of opinions..! 

I’d love Mags to be a success but not as much as I’d love to not see him make the same costly error over and over again anymore. 

How many costly errors has this player actually made over and over again this season?

1 hour ago, Big C said:

I like Mags I really do and I will be sorry to see him go but he wouldn’t get in my best back four and with the likes of Kelly and Vyner coming through if we have received a decent offer from a Champions League side for him  isn’t everyone a winner?

To be fair a lot of his mistakes were down to being let down by a fellow defender, it’s great when a defender gets forward and provides the attack with great Assists, but not much use when the out of position defender loses the ball and can’t be bothered to get back and cover, mistakes will happen, especially when wide players are allowed to run through midfield unchallenged.  

Defenders with huge egos are not good team players, but that defender will hopefully move on soon and feed his ego elsewhere.

Mags will be missed, just like a few others that did not fit in and recently went on to prove the suits at our club wrong!

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

The only evidence we’ve seen is that he’s not very competent and doesn’t learn from the mistakes he’s made. 

Nothing against him, but he’s not good enough for us, sadly. 

It is unfortunate that our head coach and his assistants seem unable to rectify the situation.

I thought that was a major part of their role.......given that their employer spent a significant sum on the player.

1 hour ago, Cardy said:

Brutal!

Love the guy. However, he does seem to have the ‘one crucial error per game’ virus that afflicts numerous centre backs. 

Reminds me a bit of Flinty at the early start of his career with us, who also was similarly afflicted. He was cured and has turned out to be one of the best players I’ve seen in a City shirt.

Thought towards the end of the season, Maggs looked far less of a ‘Bambi on Ice’ and a tadge more accomplished... but I was always wary of that one big mistake being made.

Could have gone either way with his career for us, sad to see him go but we have too many ‘high risk/for the future’ type of players in the squad at the moment and we need more steady eddy’s.

3 hours ago, brizzlecityfc said:

typical so called fan who judges a talent of player on a mistake. steven gerrard must be an awful player due to the chelsea slip. tierry henry must be sh*te due to the 1-2 pass side ways penalty with pires..list goes on.

guy set up several goals saved us goes and brought a stunning leg peg and out of this world throw in. 

grow up.  watch the full 90minutes of a game and assea amount of games and minutes a player gets. Hes going to CSK moscow for christ sake! clearly shows his talent. on a side note he was very good verus argentina yesterday defending against LIONEL MESSI!

Actually you’re bang out of order with the so called fan shout and if you took your rose tinted specs off you would of noticed mags has made plenty of mistakes. He doesn’t sense danger very well, he cost us 3 or 4 goals last season by not clearing his lines and also got away with a few , especially away at derby . By the way he wasn’t very good against Argentina . The bloke he was marking (not messi ) by the way got in behind him 4 or 5 times and eventually cost them a penalty because he has a tendency to switch off mentally. He’s a sound lad and I’m sure the mistakes can be coached out of him, but please say it how it really is rather than making out he’s the reincarnation of bobby Moore. 

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Actually you’re bang out of order with the so called fan shout and if you took your rose tinted specs off you would of noticed mags has made plenty of mistakes. He doesn’t sense danger very well, he cost us 3 or 4 goals last season by not clearing his lines and also got away with a few , especially away at derby . By the way he wasn’t very good against Argentina . The bloke he was marking (not messi ) by the way got in behind him 4 or 5 times and eventually cost them a penalty because he has a tendency to switch off mentally. He’s a sound lad and I’m sure the mistakes can be coached out of him, but please say it how it really is rather than making out he’s the reincarnation of bobby Moore. 

It was not a penalty , the guy was going down long before Mags touched him. 

Christ he is such a beautiful man :laughcont:

i for one really hope he remains with the club, he’s young but he fits that modern day centre half mould, more of a ball player than the old fashioned types. I think the club should be building on his potential and not moving it on, in a few years the silly mistakes will iron out and he will be a fantastic talent

5 minutes ago, WWred said:

Christ he is such a beautiful man :laughcont:

i for one really hope he remains with the club, he’s young but he fits that modern day centre half mould, more of a ball player than the old fashioned types. I think the club should be building on his potential and not moving it on, in a few years the silly mistakes will iron out and he will be a fantastic talent

Me too, I think there is a brilliant defender there. 

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

He never filled me with confidence. I was always worried that he make another error as he did against Villa and Man City. His passing could be unreliable as well by playing team mates into trouble.

Great long throw tho.......

He reminds me of a young Matt Hill, he didn’t turn out too badly did he?

8 hours ago, Cowshed said:

How many costly errors has this player actually made over and over again this season?

Really..?!

Even his biggest supporters generally accept that he’s always got s mistake in him, but like what else he offers. 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Really..?!

Even his biggest supporters generally accept that he’s always got s mistake in him, but like what else he offers. 

Really is not an answer to the posed question. It is an interesting topic. All players have mistakes in them. Your perception of costly errors would mean errors leading to goals. The reality is that Magnússon does not make mistakes again and again. He made two leading to goals, or an error every 11 - 12 games. To put this into perspective Aden Flint makes one in 18.5. 

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Really is not an answer to the posed question. It is an interesting topic. All players have mistakes in them. Your perception of costly errors would mean errors leading to goals. The reality is that Magnússon does not make mistakes again and again. He made two leading to goals, or an error every 11 - 12 games. To put this into perspective Aden Flint makes one in 18.5. 

Cardiff home. Man City Home. Derby away (no goal) Preston away. 

If you want the ones that spring to mind listed. 

Of course all players make mistakes. It’s a game of opinions and I just don’t think he’s good enough for a team wanting to challenge in the top half of the championship, which is a shame, because he does have some attributes. 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Cardiff home. Man City Home. Derby away (no goal) Preston away. 

If you want the ones that spring to mind listed. 

Of course all players make mistakes. It’s a game of opinions and I just don’t think he’s good enough for a team wanting to challenge in the top half of the championship, which is a shame, because he does have some attributes. 

You stated that the player in question makes lots of costly errors, and highlight your fact by using examples where the players error did not lead to the team conceding a goal.

51 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

You stated that the player in question makes lots of costly errors, and highlight your fact by using examples where the players error did not lead to the team conceding a goal.

It did in all but one, and that was only down to luck, the chance was still presented by another mistake. 

17 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

So do the Icelandic population consider Magnússon to be one of their biggest stars then?  I just wondered why the advert used their left-back as opposed to anyone else.  I guess part of the charm of the ad is that it's not the striker or most famous player scoring the winning goal.

It's because he plays for the inter-city rivals to the biggest club in the world.

8 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

It's because he plays for the inter-city rivals to the biggest club in the world.

Are they really bigger than Real Madrid though... seriously..?!

Forget away followings, owners bank balance and the global appeal of their brand, do other aspects really make them number one..?

14 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It did in all but one, and that was only down to luck, the chance was still presented by another mistake. 

Which is not an error leading to a goal.

Professional football data services - stats bomb/squawka record Magnússon errors (costly) leading to goals as being two. You with debate stretch that to three errors. It is hardly damning evidence that he does not learn from costly mistakes, or he is making the same costly error over and over again. 

Your fact, and that is what you were stridently posting as such does not bear much scrutiny.

Archived