IGNORED

Tournament yellow cards

22A

In domestic football, if a player is booked that is a warning and if he commits another offence is shown a second yellow card he is sent off.

For a straight red card a player is banned for three games. For receiving two yellows in a game, it's a one match ban. If a player receives five yellows in a season, he misses one game.

Why therefore in World Cups & Euro cahmpionships, does a player miss the next game for receiving one yellow in a game? 

20 minutes ago, 22A said:

In domestic football, if a player is booked that is a warning and if he commits another offence is shown a second yellow card he is sent off.

For a straight red card a player is banned for three games. For receiving two yellows in a game, it's a one match ban. If a player receives five yellows in a season, he misses one game.

Why therefore in World Cups & Euro cahmpionships, does a player miss the next game for receiving one yellow in a game? 

They don’t 

20 minutes ago, 22A said:

They don't, it is two.

There's also an amnesty at the semi-final stage so that you can't be suspended for the final unless you are sent-off in the semis.

14 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

I thought it was 2 for a one match ban and it reset at knockout/QF stage. (Ie anyone with a yellow has it taken away)

They're only reset after the Quarter-Final.

Thiago Silva missed Brazil's 7-1 mauling at the last world cup because of a booking he got in the groups. He was booked in the 0-0 draw against Mexico in the group, then in the QF against Colombia.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realise it was no longer the rule. Italia 90, two players were booked in the semis which had their teams qualified meant they would both miss the Final.

28 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Thiago Silva missed Brazil's 7-1 mauling at the last world cup because of a booking he got in the groups. He was booked in the 0-0 draw against Mexico in the group, then in the QF against Colombia.

Good knowledge Coxy.

Most of us remember the 7-1 hammering of Brazil but that's it.

I'm pretty sure the refs have been instructed not to be too rigid on yellow cards because they have such a devastating effect on the individual player is he gets suspended.

In Brazil 1-1 draw last night Neymar was getting some very rough attention but it was an age before one of the Swiss was shown a yellow. Very lenient refereeing indeed.

1 hour ago, 22A said:

A Danish player picked up his 2nd yellow in 2 games today, so misses Denmark's next game. That wouldn't happen in domestic football.

Was a shocking yellow as well, it might well have been a penalty but it was accidental handball, unless he has said something to the ref of course

On 18/06/2018 at 09:53, 22A said:

A straight red in club football does not necessarily mean a 3 game ban....it depends on the offence.

On 18/06/2018 at 10:15, Coxy27 said:

They don't, it is two.

There's also an amnesty at the semi-final stage so that you can't be suspended for the final unless you are sent-off in the semis.

I completely disagree with this rule. So a player on a yellow plays in the semi and denies an opponent a goal or a crucial bit of play, but decides to drag the player back.  He gets a second yellow Scot-free.  That could be a defining moment of a semi-final.

11 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Am I the only one thinking the refs have been extremely lenient and reluctant to book players?

got to be some sort of record. Not been any Red cards yet has there?

Good to see I think better than players getting booked for there first challenge like past tournaments.

One thing that doesn't change is that nearly every tackle ends up in a free kick.

33 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

got to be some sort of record. Not been any Red cards yet has there?

Good to see I think better than players getting booked for there first challenge like past tournaments.

One thing that doesn't change is that nearly every tackle ends up in a free kick.

A Columbia player got a red card for a handball in the box, but as you say, there does seem to be a directive gone out to the refs to be more lenient.

4 hours ago, gordie said:

Was a shocking yellow as well, it might well have been a penalty but it was accidental handball, unless he has said something to the ref of course

If it was an accidental handball then it wasn’t a penalty. 

The laws are quite clear - handball is only penalised if, in the referee’s opinion, the handball is intentional. 

10 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

A Columbia player got a red card for a handball in the box, but as you say, there does seem to be a directive gone out to the refs to be more lenient.

Oh yeah forgot that one, sent off first three minutes.

Have always thought stopping a goal like that, (anyone that's ever played knows that's just a natural reaction) should just be the awarding of a goal. Booking for the player ok.

The fact that FIFA change the laws every 5mins would be something to think about.

6 minutes ago, North London Red said:

The laws are quite clear - handball is only penalised if, in the referee’s opinion, the handball is intentional. 

I think the problem is that “intentional’” is being misinterpreted by the new en-vogue “hand not in a natural position” bollox.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think the problem is that “intentional’” is being misinterpreted by the new en-vogue “hand not in a natural position” bollox.

Agreed.

In my view, far too many penalties are given for handball. It’s very rare that a player will intend to handle the ball in the box, especially as they’re all aware of what the punishment wil be. 

The problem is that ‘intent’ is almost impossible to prove, so it’s left to the referee to determine whether it was intentional. 

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

8 hours ago, North London Red said:

Agreed.

In my view, far too many penalties are given for handball. It’s very rare that a player will intend to handle the ball in the box, especially as they’re all aware of what the punishment wil be. 

The problem is that ‘intent’ is almost impossible to prove, so it’s left to the referee to determine whether it was intentional. 

I disagree. Just because someone doesn’t deliberately move their hand to touch the ball, it should still be a penalty if their arms/hands are spread in an unnatural position, giving them extra blocking ability. 

Of course a penalty should be award if an arm is struck a yard away from a players body because they are spreading their coverage, even though there wasn’t a specific action to handle that specific ball. 

Imo, any hand ball outside the line of the body’s standing position is/should be a penalty. Otherwise the player gains an unfair advantage. 

19 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I disagree. Just because someone doesn’t deliberately move their hand to touch the ball, it should still be a penalty if their arms/hands are spread in an unnatural position, giving them extra blocking ability. 

Of course a penalty should be award if an arm is struck a yard away from a players body because they are spreading their coverage, even though there wasn’t a specific action to handle that specific ball. 

Imo, any hand ball outside the line of the body’s standing position is/should be a penalty. Otherwise the player gains an unfair advantage. 

Yeah, think what I was trying to say is that referees and VAR officials are not determining Natural position very well.

The problem we’ll see in future is players deliberately aiming for the hand.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, think what I was trying to say is that referees and VAR officials are not determining Natural position very well.

The problem we’ll see in future is players deliberately aiming for the hand.

That’s been done before. If a player is spreading their body, arms outstretched, then an attaker is entitled to kick the ball at it. 

One example that springs to mind is Stuart Pearce in Euro 96 V Switzerland? Never a penalty, despite blatant hand contact. His hands were in line with his body, as protection. Far more “deliberate” than yesterday’s example, but it didn’t interrupt the course of the ball, so shouldn’t be a penalty, imo. 

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

That’s been done before. If a player is spreading their body, arms outstretched, then an attaker is entitled to kick the ball at it. 

One example that springs to mind is Stuart Pearce in Euro 96 V Switzerland? Never a penalty, despite blatant hand contact. His hands were in line with his body, as protection. Far more “deliberate” than yesterday’s example, but it didn’t interrupt the course of the ball, so shouldn’t be a penalty, imo. 

Yeah, the problem with football is they write grey rules / laws.

In cricket if the ball pitches outside let stump you can’t be out LBW.  It’s black and white.  Of course the umpire can get it wrong, but he’s still following the rules, e.g. I gave him out lbw because I reckon it pitched on leg.

I do think you’re on to something though.  Something along the lines of did the hand stop the direction of travel, e.g. if your hand is covering your nuts, the handball hasn’t affected the ball travel, as your nuts would’ve stopped it also, albeit more painfully.

10 hours ago, North London Red said:

Yes your right and I agree imo it wasn't a penalty but some refs give it and some dont wether it's the rule or not

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, the problem with football is they write grey rules / laws.

In cricket if the ball pitches outside let stump you can’t be out LBW.  It’s black and white.  Of course the umpire can get it wrong, but he’s still following the rules, e.g. I gave him out lbw because I reckon it pitched on leg.

Except that you can be out LBW if the ball pitches outside the line of the stumps if you don't play a stroke!  Not that black and white then.

1 minute ago, Nongazeuse said:

Except that you can be out LBW if the ball pitches outside the line of the stumps if you don't play a stroke!  Not that black and white then.

Not leg stump you can’t.  That is b&w.

(although I did mistype it let stump above)

On 21/06/2018 at 16:46, 22A said:

A Danish player picked up his 2nd yellow in 2 games today, so misses Denmark's next game. That wouldn't happen in domestic football.

Yes it would. Happens in champions league / europa league (which in turn usually leads to players trying to get a deliberate yellow so they serve their ban in a dead rubber and reset the count for the knockout games) also in league games 5 yellows is a one match ban, and 10/15 etc. There are cut off points but can’t remember when, might be December for 5 and Feb/March time for 10.

On 21/06/2018 at 23:11, Davefevs said:

Yep that’s the whole problem....what is ‘deliberate’ or ‘intentional’? Very difficult to interpret unlike a few examples in the ‘70s when a defender would dive full length to tip the ball round the post on some occasions!

One hilarious, yet ‘UNintentional’ example I was close to was when I was once playing on a Sunday morning up near the airport. In the first minute our right back jumped up and caught a cross into our box and then exclaimed in horror: “Oh sh*t, sorry lads, I was playing in goal yesterday and I forgot!” They scored the resulting penalty....

21 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep that’s the whole problem....what is ‘deliberate’ or ‘intentional’? Very difficult to interpret unlike a few examples in the ‘70s when a defender would dive full length to tip the ball round the post on some occasions!

One hilarious, yet ‘UNintentional’ example I was close to was when I was once playing on a Sunday morning up near the airport. In the first minute our right back jumped up and caught a cross into our box and then exclaimed in horror: “Oh sh*t, sorry lads, I was playing in goal yesterday and I forgot!” They scored the resulting penalty....

Were his initials JR?  If so, the ref should have let him off, he rarely caught it :D

Archived