IGNORED

Tunisia v England Match Thread (Merged)

reddogkev

Decent (but wasteful) performance by England in the first half. Unlucky with the penalty and we should have been given at least two penalties for the wrestling in the box. Referee was as weak as water. 

Second half was more laboured and so frustrating up until the winner. Tunisia defended very well but I'm glad their slightly cynical approach didn't get them any points in the end. 

After the non awards of penalties for the 2 incidents where Kane was wrestled to the ground, someone should be raising questions with FIFA as to the purpose of VAR and how it is being applied. They should also question the people operating VAR as to why they did not alert the ref to the incidents in question.

These were exactly the incidents that the calls for technology were made and now it is up and running if this is the way it is to be applied who can have any confidence in it?

16 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Was that a City flag I saw in the stands?

It was. 

Interestingly, I’m gonna throw another ‘conspiracy theory’ out there. The tv hosts showed about 60 shots of Tunisian fans throughout the game and yet there were absolutely none of England fans - even on the 2 goals. 2 very brief shots after the final whistle. 

Its almost as if the tv were ignoring England fans and pretending they weren’t there. 

One big concern for me is that Southgate was reluctant to change the system, we needed the win from the game and in the end got a bit lucky Kane was left unmarked. Only made 2 subs and could have chucked another attacking player on but didn't, feel this could come back to hurt us if we make it to the knockouts. Also the players stuck to 'the plan', things like set pieces, they pushed such a high line I think the players lacked initiative and creativity when they couldn't put the ball into the box, it was a ball pumped cross pitch towards Maguire all the time. I said it earlier but have someone peel off or one of the guys level with Trippier, have them make a run towards the corner flag, easy ball to the side of the wall and the player has a chance to put a cross in, doesn't matter if you're infront of the defending line then if the crosser is ahead of you. 

17 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

What’s the point in VAR if it’s not going to be used?

Perhaps England should get savvy to VAR. In both instances when Kane was wrestled to the ground, far more deliberate than the pen we conceded, we didn't make much of a fuss. We should've stopped playing and immediately surrounded the ref on both occasions. They cannot then ignore it and VAR would have to be used and they'd look pretty bad not awarding penalties in both instances.

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

It was. 

Interestingly, I’m gonna throw another ‘conspiracy theory’ out there. The tv hosts showed about 60 shots of Tunisian fans throughout the game and yet there were absolutely none of England fans - even on the 2 goals. 2 very brief shots after the final whistle. 

Its almost as if the tv were ignoring England fans and pretending they weren’t there. 

I'd noticed that myself...

...but also that throughout the competition thus far the TV crowd shots are almost always of young women with face paint, or (as in the Mexican game) comic national stereotype costumes...in fairness the England travelling support doesn't offer much of the former and - unless dressed as knights in armour - not a lot of the latter.

Editorially it was a remarkable decision though. As you say, almost denying that England supporters were there.

We won the game, most decisions went against us but we came out on top and deserved the win IMO.

Need to get to that training pitch pronto to make up for those 8+ chances on goal, funny to say my friend had a 5-1 scoreline £5 bet where he would of gotten £4k back. If only they buried the chances that they had.

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Cannot believe the criticism Henderson is getting on social media.  My MOTM followed by Trippier.

Rival premier league fans have such an agenda against him, sideways pass b***cks, he showed his incredible range of passing tonight with a real number 8's performance 

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Cannot believe the criticism Henderson is getting on social media.  My MOTM followed by Trippier.

Being one of (the 65 million) Henderson haters, I think he had a decent game to follow on from a good game in the friendly.

He could have scored more than a 6.5 out of 10 had he not reverted to type in the second half!!!

Pretty solid performance against a tricky side.

Thoughts..

Trippier looks very comfortable in that role.

Young is tidy enough but is a total dead end on that side as he never uses his left foot.

What is the point of VAR? The cynic in me would suspect it was invented just ruin England.

Missing someone in the middle who can ping the ball around at a tempo.

Sterling continues to offer no end product.

Both Rashford and Loftus-Cheek looked good when they came on.

Archived