IGNORED

Tunisia v England Match Thread (Merged)

reddogkev

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Sterling may not have had the best game last night, but I hope Gareth plays him against Panama where he could hopefully get a goal or two & gain confidence from it. If we had him & Kane firing we could do some serious damage. 

I love the shite that comes out about him only looking good because of the players around him. If he’s not on Man City’s level, with all the money they’ve got, they could easily go out and replace him, but they don’t. I think i’ll trust Peps opinion on a player!

Personally I hope Southgate f**ks off both Sterling and Young. The rest can all stay.

11 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Being one of (the 65 million) Henderson haters, I think he had a decent game to follow on from a good game in the friendly.

He could have scored more than a 6.5 out of 10 had he not reverted to type in the second half!!!

Count me out of (the 65 million) Henderson haters.  I think he is a very good player indeed, and has grown into a new role since Steve Gerrard left.  He's a key player for us at the world cup and he really did the business last night.  Some of his passing last night was top notch and he covered a huge amount of ground.

13 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The whole back 4 have been poor, far too casual for my liking, they will get caught out again.

we weren't playing a back four.

13 hours ago, hodge said:

First real time I remember Kyle Walker bombing on beyond and Lingard instantly turns back to the defence...

He was a centre back, he isnt expected to "bomb on" consistently.

48 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Personally I hope Southgate f**ks off both Sterling and Young. The rest can all stay.

Agreed. Rashford and Rose in for those two and suddenly we look like a proper side.

7 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

He was a centre back, he isnt expected to "bomb on" consistently.

Maybe not consistently but it was late on in the game, 3 cb's and how dominant we were he should have been able to more, just a case when he does then Trippier slots back and play as a back 4 while Walker is forward. 

11 hours ago, CTIDhc said:

Rival premier league fans have such an agenda against him, sideways pass b***cks, he showed his incredible range of passing tonight with a real number 8's performance 

The problem with the Henderson haters is they don't understand that for him to play incisive forward passes, the players in front of him need to move! So often he is left with no choice but to go back or sideways to keep the ball, but he's always looking to get on it and demanding the ball from the defence.

37 minutes ago, hodge said:

Maybe not consistently but it was late on in the game, 3 cb's and how dominant we were he should have been able to more, just a case when he does then Trippier slots back and play as a back 4 while Walker is forward. 

I thought Harry Maguire did that pretty well on the left. Walkers pace is very useful when the opposition are on the break as we saw a couple of times, I think it would have been unnecessarily rash to have him bombing forward as well. Maybe in knockout games if we are desperate for a goal but not in the group games.

Just now, Port Said Red said:

I thought Harry Maguire did that pretty well on the left. Walkers pace is very useful when the opposition are on the break as we saw a couple of times, I think it would have been unnecessarily rash to have him bombing forward as well. Maybe in knockout games if we are desperate for a goal but not in the group games.

We were desperate for a goal in this game for the majority of that second half but our play was so laboured, Trippier should have been going forward more rather than just being an option out wide to pass to. Tripper/Walker getting forward into the wide space drags their defence wider opening gaps in the middle for Sterling, Kane, Lingard, Alli etc 

30 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

The problem with the Henderson haters is they don't understand that for him to play incisive forward passes, the players in front of him need to move! So often he is left with no choice but to go back or sideways to keep the ball, but he's always looking to get on it and demanding the ball from the defence.

Although you rubbished my post, I am not a Henderson hater, I was just pointing out that it's a trap that some defensive midfield players fall into, that they look back too often. Sometimes it's down to the way the pass is made to them, sometimes it's their stance when they receive the ball, especially if they are receiving it facing directly towards their own goal. 
Henderson has always had the ability to pass, but it has come to the fore far more since he has Salah, Firmino and Mane, making great runs. At international level, I think it has taken some of the players a while to realise that if they make the runs he will find them, but it's getting better all the time.

4 minutes ago, hodge said:

We were desperate for a goal in this game for the majority of that second half but our play was so laboured, Trippier should have been going forward more rather than just being an option out wide to pass to. Tripper/Walker getting forward into the wide space drags their defence wider opening gaps in the middle for Sterling, Kane, Lingard, Alli etc 

Not that desperate, a draw would not have been the worst result, if we had got caught on the break with just Stones covering and lost because of it, they would have been slaughtered by the press and fans.

12 hours ago, North London Red said:

City flag at the game tonight, pic taken about 30 mins before kick off. 

799BC227-F454-4403-BB5E-12A28D95B38B.jpeg

Surprised that there were any English there. The Russian camera crews didn't seem to find any, just endless shots of swarthy men wearing fezes.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Well thanks for pointing that out and I stand corrected but the point is they were still incredibly casual and especially in the first half, in one Tunisia attack Maguire, Stones and then Walker all managed to make a mistake as the ball passed between them, it was also obvious that Tunisia had been coached again especially in the first half to chase and harry England's defence and to expose the casual way the ball was being moved around at the back, although after the first 20 minutes the game should have been over, it put us under unnecessary pressure and better teams will expose it.

5 hours ago, SuperRed said:

I think Southgate has found a formation that suits us but I disagree with his selections. I would swap Rashford for Sterling who flatters to deceive at every opportunity and hasn’t got the ability to play centrally. I would bring in Loftus-Cheek for Lingard and Rose for Young. As good as Trippier was last night, Walker is wasted in the back 3 and I think Dier would be perfectly suited to his role. If we get through the group, I feel the team we started with last night will be too open against better quality opposition. I also felt  sorry for Maguire having to play on the left of the three but we don’t many options there. 

Walker is a CB but defensively it is fluid and covers at CB, RB and CDM. Walker is also playing in possession a sort of right half space position where he overlaps the wing backs or inverts inside as he does at Man City.

With all respects to Dier he does not have the legs for it, while Walker is a aerobic machine. 

FIFA clearly have something against us English - blatant penalties, no VAR mention and dreadfully biased refereeing. Glad we scored so late on so they couldn't possibly screw us out of a result even more.

That said, great performance last night, promising going forwards, looking good for a few goals in the Panama game.

I was expecting a lot more from Tunisia, but in fact they looked a poor side.

No threat whatsoever going forward.

As for England, we definitely need a natural left sided player or two because our left side was a joke last night.

I still worry that we haven’t got the guile in midfield that is needed against the better sides.

It was really only corners that we looked dangerous, not a lot from open play.

We struggled at times against a poor side, so excuse me if I don’t get at all excited!

4 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I was expecting a lot more from Tunisia, but in fact they looked a poor side.

No threat whatsoever going forward.

As for England, we definitely need a natural left sided player or two because our left side was a joke last night.

I still worry that we haven’t got the guile in midfield that is needed against the better sides.

It was really only corners that we looked dangerous, not a lot from open play.

We struggled at times against a poor side, so excuse me if I don’t get at all excited!

We created a lot from open play in the first 25 minutes and should have been 3 or 4 up, if only the chances had been put away.

5 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Sterling may not have had the best game last night, but I hope Gareth plays him against Panama where he could hopefully get a goal or two & gain confidence from it. If we had him & Kane firing we could do some serious damage. 

I love the shite that comes out about him only looking good because of the players around him. If he’s not on Man City’s level, with all the money they’ve got, they could easily go out and replace him, but they don’t. I think i’ll trust Peps opinion on a player!

and I'll trust my own eyes, and they weren't impressed on last nights showing.

Disappointed with Tunisia, didn't really attempt to try and win the game.   A few of their players had some Technical ability but once they got their goal they just sat back for the remainder of the match.  England certainly weren't as good in the second half but you would have to attribute some of that to Tunisia sitting a bit deeper in the second have and not really committing men forward, was always going to turn it into a bit of a grind and a dour second half.  Certainly had less space to work in after half time.  Glad we got a winner though to triumph over Tunisia's dirty tactics, could be forgiven for thinking you were watching a rugby match when ever we had a corner.

15 hours ago, Red Exile said:

I'd noticed that myself...

...but also that throughout the competition thus far the TV crowd shots are almost always of young women with face paint, or (as in the Mexican game) comic national stereotype costumes...in fairness the England travelling support doesn't offer much of the former and - unless dressed as knights in armour - not a lot of the latter.

Editorially it was a remarkable decision though. As you say, almost denying that England supporters were there.

Russian TV getting their own back on the Salisbury conspiracy, as instructed by Putin!

• Admin
16 hours ago, Gazred said:

Pretty solid performance against a tricky side.

Thoughts..

Trippier looks very comfortable in that role.

Young is tidy enough but is a total dead end on that side as he never uses his left foot.

What is the point of VAR? The cynic in me would suspect it was invented just ruin England.

Missing someone in the middle who can ping the ball around at a tempo.

Sterling continues to offer no end product.

Both Rashford and Loftus-Cheek looked good when they came on.

That’s partly because he has been playing that exact same role under Pochetino at Spurs for the last two years. It’s crazy that with the Spurs left wing back available to him, Southgate still prefers to use a right footed winger at left wing back. Rose has to start.

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

That’s partly because he has been playing that exact same role under Pochetino at Spurs for the last two years. It’s crazy that with the Spurs left wing back available to him, Southgate still prefers to use a right footed winger at left wing back. Rose has to start.

That's not quite true.

Two years ago Walker was playing the RWB for Spurs and Trippier was the understudy, whilst last year Spurs mostly played 4 at the back with Trippier at right back due partly to Son's good form and the need to fit him in, and partly to Alderweireld's injury/contract issues.

As for Rose, yes he was the main LWB two years ago but this year he has been pretty garbage for Spurs and has only played a handful of games whilst Ben Davies has been the main man.

I'm splitting hairs really because I too thought Trippier was excellent last night, my MOTM by far. 

My main problem with your post is I don't believe Rose has done anywhere near enough to deserve a starting place. He offers pace and balance down the left, but he sure as hell doesn't deserve to be played there on recent form.

I'd stick with Young. Good set piece and crossing ability from deep (there was that one inswinging cross which took out the whole Tunisia defence which Lingard really should have scored), and I also trust him a bit more defensively than Rose. After all, he was one of the few LBs last season that managed to shut Mo Salah out. 

Archived