IGNORED

Tunisia v England Match Thread (Merged)

reddogkev

• Admin
1 minute ago, Gratbot said:

That's not quite true.

Two years ago Walker was playing the RWB for Spurs and Trippier was the understudy, whilst last year Spurs mostly played 4 at the back with Trippier at right back due partly to Son's good form and the need to fit him in, and partly to Alderweireld's injury/contract issues.

As for Rose, yes he was the main LWB two years ago but this year he has been pretty garbage for Spurs and has only played a handful of games whilst Ben Davies has been the main man.

I'm splitting hairs really because I too thought Trippier was excellent last night, my MOTM by far. 

My main problem with your post is I don't believe Rose has done anywhere near enough to deserve a starting place. He offers pace and balance down the left, but he sure as hell doesn't deserve to be played there on recent form.

I'd stick with Young. Good set piece and crossing ability from deep (there was that one inswinging cross which took out the whole Tunisia defence which Lingard really should have scored), and I also trust him a bit more defensively than Rose. After all, he was one of the few LBs last season that managed to shut Mo Salah out. 

It certainly started that way but by the season’s end Trippier was preferred to Walker which was one of the reasons Walker sought his exit.

I will take your point about 442 as I don’t pay enough attention to the Prem to know better than you but if Young is going to be successful on that side he needs to know his limitations. On more than one occasion last night he received the ball in a position to cross with his right but turned to cross (poorly) with his right. I don’t share your confidence in Young’s defensive game as several times he lost his man through ball watching last night. 

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Surprised that there were any English there. The Russian camera crews didn't seem to find any, just endless shots of swarthy men wearing fezes.

Was it me or did they not even show the England team sheet/set up before the game?

3 minutes ago, Cunnyfunt said:

Was it me or did they not even show the England team sheet/set up before the game?

The England players were pixelated out - Kane must have been for VAR to miss the rugby tackles.

On 19/06/2018 at 10:39, Red-Robbo said:

Surprised that there were any English there. The Russian camera crews didn't seem to find any, just endless shots of swarthy men wearing fezes.

On 19/06/2018 at 11:46, Red Army 75 said:

Was strange . A poster pointed that out last night. Even when we scored nothing. **** um 

Watching last night's game and I noticed that the cameras picked out the same "attractive" girls in the crowd as they showed in the Tunisia game. Are they stock shots? Are they related to the production crew? They didn't even seem to have changed their face painting designs. Very odd.

On 19/06/2018 at 11:36, Portland Bill said:

I was expecting a lot more from Tunisia, but in fact they looked a poor side.

No threat whatsoever going forward.

As for England, we definitely need a natural left sided player or two because our left side was a joke last night.

I still worry that we haven’t got the guile in midfield that is needed against the better sides.

It was really only corners that we looked dangerous, not a lot from open play.

We struggled at times against a poor side, so excuse me if I don’t get at all excited!

What game did you watch??

We created more chances in open play in that first half than I can remember for a long long time at a tournament.

Lingard had 2/3, Sterling had a couple and that was just the “should score” clear cut chances that immediately spring to mind.

it really could/should have been 3-0 by half time

On 19/06/2018 at 11:59, RedBrizzleRobin said:

Disappointed with Tunisia, didn't really attempt to try and win the game.   A few of their players had some Technical ability but once they got their goal they just sat back for the remainder of the match.  England certainly weren't as good in the second half but you would have to attribute some of that to Tunisia sitting a bit deeper in the second have and not really committing men forward, was always going to turn it into a bit of a grind and a dour second half.  Certainly had less space to work in after half time.  Glad we got a winner though to triumph over Tunisia's dirty tactics, could be forgiven for thinking you were watching a rugby match when ever we had a corner.

Agree that Tunisia dug in. In the same way Spain, Argentina, France, Brazil have all been frustrated by the under dogs they’ve faced.

thankfully we got the result though, in years gone by we’d have drawn. Russia/Slovakia come to mind very recently

On 19/06/2018 at 14:17, Ian M said:

That’s partly because he has been playing that exact same role under Pochetino at Spurs for the last two years. It’s crazy that with the Spurs left wing back available to him, Southgate still prefers to use a right footed winger at left wing back. Rose has to start.

The spurs left wing back that’s been injured a lot and only started 9 games last season?

as opposed to young who has played left back and been very good there?

6 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

The spurs left wing back that’s been injured a lot and only started 9 games last season?

as opposed to young who has played left back and been very good there?

For me we need Rose playing, Young is decent but he will always slow down attacks by having to come back onto his right foot. 

24 minutes ago, Super said:

For me we need Rose playing, Young is decent but he will always slow down attacks by having to come back onto his right foot. 

Rose would get my vote too, as would Rashford (for Sterling). Those two selections, plus probably an enforced swap due to injury of Loftus-Cheek for Delli. The rest unchanged.

15 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

Rose would get my vote too, as would Rashford (for Sterling). Those two selections, plus probably an enforced swap due to injury of Loftus-Cheek for Delli. The rest unchanged.

I still believe Southgate and his team have a better understanding of fitness etc than we do.

young isn’t playing for any reason other than he is the best/fittest option. If that changes then the team will change, I’m sure 

Archived