IGNORED

Hordur Magnusson - Signed for CSKA (Merged)

bcfcredandwhite

• Admin
17 minutes ago, gordie said:

Good luck to him, always thought there was a good player in there trying to come out. Prone to the odd clanger but is still only young so to be expected. Sad to see him go especially as I liked his song but that Viking clap we were truly shit at.

Agree, always seemed like there was more to his game than we saw

Sadly it always seemed like there was a mistake around the corner, but I put a lot of that down to him covering players infront of him that were either out of position or making silly mistakes

6 minutes ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

Not to be awkward, I had a lot of time for Mags! But correct me if I'm wrong did we only score two from his throws? Cardiff, Leeds? ( Last season anyway)

Flint scored from the long throw against Cardiff, the two goals at Leeds were following the chaos the long throws caused in the Leeds box

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

I think LJ has already admitted Flint is off and thus Mags main contribution to the team is no longer necessary.

Not related at all, Magnusson hardly played as it was, nonsense to suggest one leaving means the other is off too

Just now, phantom said:

Not related at all, Magnússon hardly played as it was, nonsense to suggest one leaving means the other is off too

We're all entitled to our own opinions but I think Maggy was kept around to see if he would improve and offer that long throw for our big target man, Flint wanted out last season, if there is interest from any Premier League team I think he'll leave and the club would be wrong to deny him that after he essentially ensured the club wouldn't lose him on a free. Flint has been very professional, even when he wanted to move on for whatever reason he stayed and even signed a contract to stop us being forced to sell him at a reduced price. I think he'll move on and Mags has been sold as he doesn't offer us the quality we need as CB or LB and his throws are no longer important if Flint goes, all in all it adds up perfectly to me.

• Admin
21 minutes ago, Rich_s said:

Not sure it makes sense to sell a player who is playing in the World Cup prior or during the tournament.

I guess one of his problems is that he previously didn't play for Barnsley.

It is an odd one, but the deal was done a while ago, just hadn't been announced yet. I guess there is the chance he has a blinder and his value increases, but equally is open to injury?

Though surely the chance to put him in the shop window is more likely?

Spot on with your other point though 

• Admin
Just now, Spike said:

We're all entitled to our own opinions but I think Maggy was kept around to see if he would improve and offer that long throw for our big target man, Flint wanted out last season

Very true - but would query the Flint wanting out part, that was more to do with his agent last summer than the player himself, who will openly tell you he is more than happy staying here

18 minutes ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

Not to be awkward, I had a lot of time for Mags! But correct me if I'm wrong did we only score two from his throws? Cardiff, Leeds? ( Last season anyway)

Palace in the cup as well I think

We didn’t seem to have a plan for what to do with them, were a great weapon which we didn’t use enough.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Flint wanted out last season, if there is interest from any Premier League team I think he'll leave and the club

Flint wanted out?  Did he?

It was only 'Arry at Brum who unsettled him with a derisive offer last winter window.

If a £10m offer came then the club will accept it - if Flint wants to move.

11 minutes ago, Spike said:

We're all entitled to our own opinions but I think Maggy was kept around to see if he would improve and offer that long throw for our big target man, Flint wanted out last season

he wanted out that much he signed a new contract........... in march towards the end of the season.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43241961

Good move for all concerned.

In two years here he hadn’t established himself as first choice CB or LB, and I don’t think there is much of a groundswell to say he should have been. The only point I think he was unlucky on is that undoubtedly we should have stuck with him LB and Bryan LM, but now we are looking to progress Kelly, he’s surplus.

Decent squad player, by all accounts a good “egg”, but doesn’t fundamentally weaken the team. Would also say I think he has a mental issue as there is always a mistake in him however well he plays in the other 90 and he just can’t seem to eradicate that.

Best of luck to him

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

he wanted out that much he signed a new contract........... in march towards the end of the season.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43241961

You cut out the part of my quote where I said that....
He may have signed a new contract, that doesn't mean he wants to stay for the duration of it. How many footballers these days see out their contract? I'd say it's a safe bet that the club didn't want the situation we now have with Bobby where they would be forced to sell for a lower price. More than likely Flint got a small raise with a promise of being allowed to leave if a Premier League club approaches us with a decent fee.
Everyone knows in football contracts don't mean much, if anything players have the power even if a player is under long contract. That contract was a deal for both player and club, player gets a small financial boost, the club ensure they don't have to sell a player for cheap.

19 minutes ago, phantom said:

Very true - but would query the Flint wanting out part, that was more to do with his agent last summer than the player himself, who will openly tell you he is more than happy staying here

I don't think he's unhappy, I just think he's ambitious and been here long enough to know if he wants Premiership football he needs to go this summer or next or he may never have the chance.

7 minutes ago, Spike said:

You cut out the part of my quote where I said that....
He may have signed a new contract, that doesn't mean he wants to stay for the duration of it. How many footballers these days see out their contract? I'd say it's a safe bet that the club didn't want the situation we now have with Bobby where they would be forced to sell for a lower price. More than likely Flint got a small raise with a promise of being allowed to leave if a Premier League club approaches us with a decent fee.
Everyone knows in football contracts don't mean much, if anything players have the power even if a player is under long contract. That contract was a deal for both player and club, player gets a small financial boost, the club ensure they don't have to sell a player for cheap.

last time i checked middlesborough werent a prem club, and if he wanted to leave he can submit a transfer request or not sign a new contract,

him wanting to leave is bollocks 

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

last time i checked middlesborough werent a prem club, and if he wanted to leave he can submit a transfer request or not sign a new contract,

him wanting to leave is bollocks 

I don`t think he does want to leave and nor did he in the summer. He knows in his own mind he`s not a premier league player and where else in the championship would he be as loved and appreciated by the fans as he is here? Alright, he could earn a bit more but I think to Aden it`s about more than just money.

44 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

CSKA head coach has signed him to play centre-back apparently so will be interesting to see how that turns out.

One other point I'd like to make. A lot of people saying it's a step-up for him going to CSKA Moscow as he'll be playing CL football. Whilst that's true, isn't the Russian league probably a worse standard than the C'Ship overall? Week in, week out CSKA must be up against some pretty poor sides...

Not really, the Russian league has a fair few decent teams. CSKA (of course), Spartak, Zenit, Rubin, Krasnodar, Lokomotiv, Dynamo, Rostov (the ones who wanted him before)

Far, far better player than most around here ever gave him credit for. Many quick to criticise the howlers he did make but little analysis as to why he ended up in the positions he did. Also apparently blind to the serious and frequent errors, that proved far more expensive in the Against Column, occasioned by 'one of our own'.

At least Mags can now appreciate playing at a higher standard and with better players. Good luck fella.

Archived