IGNORED

RIP Ernie Hunt (Merged)

GrahamC

2 minutes ago, Super said:

What's a donkey kick?

The stationary ball is flicked up by the heels of a player for another to volley.

Willie Carr famously did it for Ernie at Coventry, and Gerry Gow (iirc) adapted it - after the original was outlawed - for Ernie to repeat the trick for City at WBA.

5 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Never saw him play for City but that donkey kick is iconic. I can see it in my mind`s eye now as if it was yesterday.

RIP Ernie.

Nevermind your mindseye… You can see it again now for real in this thread...

Classic, famous and brilliant... RIP Ernie thanks for the memories. 

Ernie should have played for BCFC long before he actually did.

Fred Ford was tasked by Harry Dolman in the mid 60's to sign him and Mike Summerbee from Swindon but Fred who was incredibly nervous in the transfer market allegedly bottled it, Harry was not best pleased.

Ernie Hunt was a gifted footballer and a great character, it was great to see him eventually in a BCFC shirt even for the short time that it lasted.

RIP Ernie a proper star in every sense of the word, maybe fakes like Tomlin should try to take a leaf out of your book and care more about the game rather than the riches.

Me and a mate used to regularly incorporate the donkey kick into school playground games, with me playing the Willie Carr role. On the very rare occasions it did work it would cause arguments as one nerdy mate (who did actually grow up to be a ref|) would point out that it had been outlawed. 

Our routine was of course immediately dropped when Ernie signed for you lot (Oldbury Court was pretty much red free back in the day!)

Not the world's greatest player,  but a crowd entertainer and a team motivator.

That 1973 cup tie on Hereford's waterlogged pitch. Ernie was upended and when he landed a wave was thrown up!

RIP Ernie.

4 hours ago, Super said:

What's a donkey kick?

4 hours ago, class not gas said:

With the ball between  his feet one man flicks it up backwards and another (Ernie Hunt) hits it on the volley and scores.

And when you get it wrong you look like an ass.

Can't understand why Wayne Bray didn't manage to master it.

Archived