IGNORED

Mark Lawrenson

MC RISK77

Quotas. Blame quotas. 

The World needs to return to awarding jobs on the basis of talent, whether male, female, white, black no matter - just give the job to the best person available.

That woman football commentator was like listening to  finger nails be scratched down a blackboard.

Problem is that because everyone knows they’ve been employed on the basis of a quota the viewers becomes even less tolerant of them being sub-standard. Look at Springwatch - Martin, a more than capable presenter who worked well with the team no doubt didn’t have his contacted renewed because he was white and male. Replacement, female and black is very poor in comparison.

3 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Quotas. Blame quotas. 

The World needs to return to awarding jobs on the basis of talent, whether male, female, white, black no matter - just give the job to the best person available.

That woman football commentator was like listening to  finger nails be scratched down a blackboard.

Problem is that because everyone knows they’ve been employed on the basis of a quota the viewers becomes even less tolerant of them being sub-standard. Look at Springwatch - Martin, a more than capable presenter who worked well with the team no doubt didn’t have his contacted renewed because he was white and male. Replacement, female and black is very poor in comparison.

Pretty much agree with this. Instead of fulfilling quotas for the sake of it, you should dig deeper and work on why there is a shortage of a certain group of people in a certain field. That actually fixes the long-term solution and doesn't leave anyone embarrassed/angry.

That said, fair play to the BBC for giving it a go. There are certainly worse pundits/commentators than some of these female ones, so no reason why they shouldn't be there. Some of the crap Phil Neville comes out with is laughable. Referred to Uruguay the other day and said something along the lines of - 'maybe they can go further than they ever have before'. They've won it twice!

4 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Quotas. Blame quotas. 

This is true I manage a sales team and I am instructed to ensure that at least 50% of potential recruitment candidates I interview are women..which is fine until you realise that 80% of sales consultants in my field are men

1 hour ago, OddBallJim said:

BBC co-commentary choice of Phil Neville or Mark Lawrenson is the stuff of nightmares. Both of them have about as much insightful commentary to put through the mic as a sea cucumber.

Phil Neville’s commentary voice is like a cross between David Attenborough and Ross Kemp....the mock intensity is hilarious, why can’t he just chat normally without wanting everything to sound so dramatic?!

I used to despite his turgid, moany commentary, but as the years pass and I find myself getting more and more irate at what modern football has become, I realise he’s just decades ahead of me in terms of his disillusionment with the game. 

It does now make me chuckle when he says things like ‘get up you big girls’ blouse’ as it’s normally what I’m thinking in slightly more polite words. 

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Bullshit . Because a man or woman doesn’t like a female commentator is sexist. People haven’t got to like things because it’s politically correct. Women commentators are shit 

Nope. I'm about as anti-PC as it's possible to be, but "women don't have a clue about football" and "they should be making tea for their man".... come on. You're free to make that statement imo, but it is, undeniably, a sexist statement.

I quite like Lawrenson .  Thing is I don't expect to learn much from summarisers.  He's just an annoying, reactionary, old man.  It's very inclusive to include him on the commentary.  Reflective of the swathe of Victor Meldrews who probably form a large percentage of the TV audience.  He doesn't care what people think about him and I admire that.

My favourite is Roy Keane though.  He was on the other day with Bilic after the Argentina v Iceland game.  All his comments weren't really honest appraisals of the games that day, but a blatant attempt to wind up Slaven Bilic.   I look forward to the day when he succeeds in his enterprise and starts a fight in the studio.  Patrice Evra seems like the obvious candidate.

13 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I quite like Lawrenson .  Thing is I don't expect to learn much from summarisers.  He's just an annoying, reactionary, old man.  It's very inclusive to include him on the commentary.  Reflective of the swathe of Victor Meldrews who probably form a large percentage of the TV audience.  He doesn't care what people think about him and I admire that.

My favourite is Roy Keane though.  He was on the other day with Bilic after the Argentina v Iceland game.  All his comments weren't really honest appraisals of the games that day, but a blatant attempt to wind up Slaven Bilic.   I look forward to the day when he succeeds in his enterprise and starts a fight in the studio.  Patrice Evra seems like the obvious candidate.

Every time Bilic touched his shoulder he looked like he was ready to smack him. Love him.

It would make I laugh if a lady commentator,  tongue in cheek,  makes a comment during their game such as 'not sure what he was doing there but ooh doesn't he have nice legs'. Then see all the detractors throw their comments around!!! 

1 minute ago, ukneil said:

It would make I laugh if a lady commentator,  tongue in cheek,  makes a comment during their game such as 'not sure what he was doing there but ooh doesn't he have nice legs'. Then see all the detractors throw their comments around!!! 

We all know that's all they're watching for anyway!

2 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

i am trying hard to be objective but not sure how much Alex Scott, eni eluko and Jacqui oatley add to the party and it all appears a little awkward when they are sat next to true footballing greats.

I agree with your point about the commentator, but why did you mention Jacqui Oatley and not Dan Walker or Mark Pougatch?

There's one obvious difference between Jacqui and the other two. I'll give you a clue, it's not that they're footballing greats...

And would anyone be up for joining me to crowd fund @Red Army 75 a dictionary so he can look up what prejudice means?

Love watching Alex Scott, she knows her stuff too, not particularly keen on Evra, Roy Keane just looks like he doesn't want to be there, Ryan Giggs a bit uninteresting, like all the others really Gary Nevile tops with Rio, lampard and Shearer, and Danny Murphy, Lawrenson makes me chuckle he's ok. 

2 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Quotas. Blame quotas. 

If only it was so simple. These quotas only exsist because of 100s of years of inequality. You only have to look at some of the responses on this thread to see that some people would still not give a woman a chance if they were responsible for hiring comentators/pundits regardless of their qualifications.

Truth is Men would more than Likely hire men. It's a barrier that needed help to be broken... And it still does.

Men have had a 100 years head start on Women and It's what we are used to- it is odd for us to hear female comentators. If we had grown up with it then it wouldnt be an issue at all. Future generations probably wont give a shit- And that is what these quotas are aiming for in the long run.

Just for balance...  Id rather listen to pundits that have experienced the situation they are talking about. At present there are no female football players who can have experienced the weight of a nation and 100s of millions watching on tv etc....  But despite that i understand why they are (and need to be) there.

And for what it's worth id rather listen to (and look at) alex scott than the likes of evra and lawrenson. At least she prepares for games rather than winging it as those two do. The best pundits imo are male...  But so are the worst.

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Alex Scott is way better than loads of the male pundits there. 

Not a fan of the so called Pundits, why do we even need them? But Alex Scott no not for me. Just the usual bland blaa,blaa, blaa.

I look forward to the day (please come soon i''m old as ****) when you can watch a game, Tennis even, without commentators and pundits.

Just the game and the atmosphere the crowd creates.

2 hours ago, frenchred said:

Surely ironing and washing to do as well, no need to get in the way of football!

A passenger plane loses power from all it's engines and starts a slow dive. The stewardess rushes into the cockpit and asks if they are going to crash and the first office  says " yes Im afraid we are"

The stewardess replies " in that case which one of you will make me feel like a woman one last time"

With that the captain whips of his shirt, hands it to the stewardess and says " iron this for me will you?"

28 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

If only it was so simple. These quotas only exsist because of 100s of years of inequality. You only have to look at some of the responses on this thread to see that some people would still not give a woman a chance if they were responsible for hiring comentators/pundits regardless of their qualifications.

Truth is Men would more than Likely hire men. It's a barrier that needed help to be broken... And it still does.

Men have had a 100 years head start on Women and It's what we are used to- it is odd for us to hear female comentators. If we had grown up with it then it wouldnt be an issue at all. Future generations probably wont give a shit- And that is what these quotas are aiming for in the long run.

Just for balance...  Id rather listen to pundits that have experienced the situation they are talking about. At present there are no female football players who can have experienced the weight of a nation and 100s of millions watching on tv etc....  But despite that i understand why they are (and need to be) there.

And for what it's worth id rather listen to (and look at) alex scott than the likes of evra and lawrenson. At least she prepares for games rather than winging it as those two do. The best pundits imo are male...  But so are the worst.

Yeah but... gradually men are closing the gap.... struth, we’ve now got equal pension age and soon, given women on average pay less in to the pot and take more out, we may well get them retiring later than men.

When we reach that point in gender equality they can have as many women pundits as they like :-)

Now then Wimbledon, when do men start playing the best of 3 sets for the ‘equal’ prize money?

58 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

This is far more eloquently written than I could ever manage. Brilliant.

Archived