IGNORED

Mark Lawrenson

MC RISK77

2 hours ago, cider-manc said:

If only it was so simple. These quotas only exsist because of 100s of years of inequality. You only have to look at some of the responses on this thread to see that some people would still not give a woman a chance if they were responsible for hiring comentators/pundits regardless of their qualifications.

Truth is Men would more than Likely hire men. It's a barrier that needed help to be broken... And it still does.

Men have had a 100 years head start on Women and It's what we are used to- it is odd for us to hear female comentators. If we had grown up with it then it wouldnt be an issue at all. Future generations probably wont give a shit- And that is what these quotas are aiming for in the long run.

Just for balance...  Id rather listen to pundits that have experienced the situation they are talking about. At present there are no female football players who can have experienced the weight of a nation and 100s of millions watching on tv etc....  But despite that i understand why they are (and need to be) there.

And for what it's worth id rather listen to (and look at) alex scott than the likes of evra and lawrenson. At least she prepares for games rather than winging it as those two do. The best pundits imo are male...  But so are the worst.

No likes left, but top post.

11 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Ok I am going to sound controversial but need to get off my chest how does everyone feel about the tick box on diversity and inclusion In respect of women now being a part of commentary teams and panels?

i am trying hard to be objective but not sure how much Alex Scott, eni eluko and Jacqui oatley add to the party and it all appears a little awkward when they are sat next to true footballing greats.

i may be slaughtered for this but meh I can take it but world has gone pc mad

I take your point, but it's positive that they're involved, and they're new to it - no doubt some of the old hands were absolute bobbins when they started.

Plus, it annoys Gammons, always a massive positive in my book :devil::devil::devil:

11 hours ago, nebristolred said:

Bunch of idiots in here, some of these comments ffs :facepalm:

I'll agree the pundits aren't necessarily the best, same with the women commentators I've heard. But there are tons of absolutely crap male pundits and commentators too. With a smaller sample size, it's mathematically going to be slightly longer before you find a great female pundit purely because there are less of them.

I think in general most pundits are a bit irritating or a bit crap to be fair.

Surely "statistically"?!?!?!?!!:banana:

8 hours ago, cider-manc said:

If only it was so simple. These quotas only exsist because of 100s of years of inequality. You only have to look at some of the responses on this thread to see that some people would still not give a woman a chance if they were responsible for hiring comentators/pundits regardless of their qualifications.

Truth is Men would more than Likely hire men. It's a barrier that needed help to be broken... And it still does.

Men have had a 100 years head start on Women and It's what we are used to- it is odd for us to hear female comentators. If we had grown up with it then it wouldnt be an issue at all. Future generations probably wont give a shit- And that is what these quotas are aiming for in the long run.

Just for balance...  Id rather listen to pundits that have experienced the situation they are talking about. At present there are no female football players who can have experienced the weight of a nation and 100s of millions watching on tv etc....  But despite that i understand why they are (and need to be) there.

And for what it's worth id rather listen to (and look at) alex scott than the likes of evra and lawrenson. At least she prepares for games rather than winging it as those two do. The best pundits imo are male...  But so are the worst.

That's true and the reason why the best ones are male is because they've been doing it for a longer time.  The 2 women pundits are current players. Younger than all the male pundits..  Alex Scott makes some very good points but is still adjusting to being on TV.  She's like a really keen pupil in class.  

If only the great Brian Moore and Barry Davies were still around........

Agree with others regarding Gabby Logan; she is very good at her job, and I am warming to Alex Scott, as well.

For balance though, in this world of equality, when do we see two blokes every day on the panel of "Loose People" ?

Female commentary does seem uncomfortably odd to me but I guess that's because I've spent 30 years listening only to men. Im sure I'll get over it. As others have said, it doesn't matter who is doing a particular job as long as they are chosen on merit. Not a fan of this positive discrimination, "quota" stuff. 

1 hour ago, The Gasbuster said:

Agree with others regarding Gabby Logan; she is very good at her job, and I am warming to Alex Scott, as well.

For balance though, in this world of equality, when do we see two blokes every day on the panel of "Loose People" ?

Barry Davies is still around and I think I read something saying that this year he will be doing his last Wimbledon commentary.

Don't know how long since he last did football commentary, but he was one of the very best - the ability to say so much in only a few words.

5 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

There has been some shite spouted on here, but you have crossed the line here, fella

For me everything went downhill since some berk of a tv executive decided to put an idiot alongside the commentator. In the good old days the commentator (such as the great Kenneth Wolstenholme) described the action and kept his mouth shut when nothing was going on. Since the introduction of the alongside idiot , he seems obliged to keep jabbering, so that now tv ‘commentators’ talk more than those on the radio. Most of this is either inane irrelevant drivel or his opinion. Many of the games I watch on tv have little in the way of action commentaty but are just a showcase for the duos opinions. If I could keep the crowd noise but mute the diabolical duo I would. 

41 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

For me everything went downhill since some berk of a tv executive decided to put an idiot alongside the commentator. In the good old days the commentator (such as the great Kenneth Wolstenholme) described the action and kept his mouth shut when nothing was going on. Since the introduction of the alongside idiot , he seems obliged to keep jabbering, so that now tv ‘commentators’ talk more than those on the radio. Most of this is either inane irrelevant drivel or his opinion. Many of the games I watch on tv have little in the way of action commentaty but are just a showcase for the duos opinions. If I could keep the crowd noise but mute the diabolical duo I would. 

Absolutely, & IMO Clive Tyldesley is the worst. He just can't seem to shut the f up. And with Hoddle alongside him I turn the sound down!

From my time in the Forth Estate the first thing that springs to mind every time Lawrenson opens his gob is that during divorce proceedings his first wife stated he was so controlling that upon fear of retribution he forced her to fold his kegs BEFORE putting them in the washing machine. What sort of brute does that?

From The Times:

'Or there’s Mark Lawrenson, for whose tone of captive despair one can have a lot of time (it’s part of football’s rich emotional mix, after all) but who, it cannot be denied, dates back to the era of simply turning up and winging it, and who could be heard the other day idly inquiring what nationality the referee was, as if that might not be something he was well placed (and perhaps even employed) to know.'

Gabby Logan (daughter of the late Terry Yorath), is, of course, an excellent presenter, and benefits from both a diverse, high-class sporting background (not only was her afore-mentioned father an international footballer and manager, but she was also an international gymnast) and a good education.

Alex Scott was an international footballer and, it follows, is knowledgeable about football: in addition, and as I am sure we would all acknowledge, she is both charming and presents herself extremely well.  

On 21/06/2018 at 19:47, JBFC II said:

I completely agree tbh

Alex Scott to be fair to her has been good, the other two haven't though and the woman who commentated on the Portugal game yesterday really got on my nerves. 

I get the BBC trying to be more forward thinking in bringing women in but they could at least bring some in who are knowledgable about football

What I find funny is the female commentator on the BBC tries her very best to sound like a man. Bizarre.

9 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

From my time in the Forth Estate the first thing that springs to mind every time Lawrenson opens his gob is that during divorce proceedings his first wife stated he was so controlling that upon fear of retribution he forced her to fold his kegs BEFORE putting them in the washing machine. What sort of brute does that?

Did you have to do a lot of painting?

6 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

From The Times:

'Or there’s Mark Lawrenson, for whose tone of captive despair one can have a lot of time (it’s part of football’s rich emotional mix, after all) but who, it cannot be denied, dates back to the era of simply turning up and winging it, and who could be heard the other day idly inquiring what nationality the referee was, as if that might not be something he was well placed (and perhaps even employed) to know.'

Gabby Logan (daughter of the late Terry Yorath), is, of course, an excellent presenter, and benefits from both a diverse, high-class sporting background (not only was her afore-mentioned father an international footballer and manager, but she was also an international gymnast) and a good education.

Alex Scott was an international footballer and, it follows, is knowledgeable about football: in addition, and as I am sure we would all acknowledge, she is both charming and presents herself extremely well.  

'Turning up and winging it'. Good grief. 'Captive despair', however, is a nice turn of phrase.

Lawrenson honours,

Liverpool

Unless Lawro is on it's much better to watch without the commentary, especially if there is a woman commentating, they should be commentating on women's football.

Lawro quotes:

http://www.azquotes.com/author/8584-Mark_Lawrenson

12 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

‘Forth’ estate?! I thought journalists / reporters should be able to spell words correctly....sort of a pre-requisite?!

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

‘Forth’ estate?! I thought journalists / reporters should be able to spell words correctly....sort of a pre-requisite?!

That was before the days of miniature Android keyboards, alcoholicly fat fingers and predictive spell checkers (which I still can't fathom - do you hit the word it always thinks you want but don't or do as I and ignore?) If I had a quid for every time 'of' gets written as 'if' I'd be richer than SL.

Ever read The Grauniad?

On 22/06/2018 at 02:23, MC RISK77 said:

Why do the bbc insist on still giving this cynical moaning dinosaur air time...talks absolute shite

Because some viewers like his pseudo moaning and I find his self deference quite entertaining. Much better than the idiots they have in the studio like that French toss pot who slouches in his seat and wears a holy pair of jeans that will give him a hernia and in one world cup play acted the entire tournament and, if i recall correctly, told his boss to sod off on camera. OK so its ITV and we cannot expect much but then there is that pillock Upson who seems to hit a ceiling at 2 syllables and a few other Johny foreigners they have on who find it almost impossible to string a sentence together. Its embarrassing but no doubt for some young upstart who wants to be seen to be doing some token political correctness or have some 'not from these shores' ignoramus to 'balance' the panel. Balance it for what? Most certainly not for our enjoyment and pleasure. Usually I just watch and listen to the match itself where the more intelligent commentators can usually be found unless its Gary, Frank, Alan and Rio who are the polished article. As you were.

Archived