IGNORED

Mark Lawrenson

MC RISK77

On 21 June 2018 at 19:37, JBFC II said:

The ITV have done so much better with the pundits/commentators. 

Just a shame about the adverts... 

You obviously haven't heard Glen Hoddle then! 

When I'm out and about in the car, I quite enjoy the radio commentary. 

So I might  try muting TV and listening via radio commentary (I've done it on previous  occasions and it worked quite well)

On 22/06/2018 at 07:59, Wanderingred said:

Female commentary does seem uncomfortably odd to me but I guess that's because I've spent 30 years listening only to men. Im sure I'll get over it. As others have said, it doesn't matter who is doing a particular job as long as they are chosen on merit. Not a fan of this positive discrimination, "quota" stuff. 

I love women,but it seems we might be trying a bit too hard to get the ladies commenting on Football matches.

The only ladies I like to see at football matches are the ones dishing up the pies and teas.:punish:

5 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

I love women,but it seems we might be trying a bit too hard to get the ladies commenting on Football matches.

The only ladies I like to see at football matches are the ones dishing up the pies and teas.:punish:

Are you Geoffrey Boycott? Now there's a commentator - "I recall back in 1962 when I was facing 'Fiery Fred' Truman for the first time...."  (Yawn)

On 21/06/2018 at 20:00, Hello Dave said:

This is gonna come across as sexist, but women haven't got a clue about football , and to have one as a commentator or pundit is just wrong. They should be making tea for their man!

Good satire. 

Jokes aside I have fallen in love with Alex Scott and she also knows what she is talking about. Neville isn't has bad as Lawro who belongs in the 80s. Alan Shearer is also rubbish and sadly Ferdinand and Lampard not much better. 

On 21/06/2018 at 20:08, Red Army 75 said:

Agree nothing to do with sexism. Unfortunately though it’s going to happen more and more. I think ML is an appalling football pundit commentator. I think the female pundits don’t need to be on men’s football. They have a brilliant opportunity to progress their own game. Women commentators on men’s football is wrong 

Nothing to do with sexism? Are you sure?

On 23/06/2018 at 02:49, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

For me everything went downhill since some berk of a tv executive decided to put an idiot alongside the commentator. In the good old days the commentator (such as the great Kenneth Wolstenholme) described the action and kept his mouth shut when nothing was going on. Since the introduction of the alongside idiot , he seems obliged to keep jabbering, so that now tv ‘commentators’ talk more than those on the radio. Most of this is either inane irrelevant drivel or his opinion. Many of the games I watch on tv have little in the way of action commentaty but are just a showcase for the duos opinions. If I could keep the crowd noise but mute the diabolical duo I would. 

Not a lot to disagree with there.

I would just like to add a caveat though; since Motson, Gubba, Davies and Brian Moore have long since stopped entertaining us with their dulcit tones (ok Davies quite recent) the leftovers usually need a co commentator because they are invariably second rate. Something to ponder at least.

On 21 June 2018 at 20:15, Never to the dark side said:

Put five live commentary on and you''ll have a Bristol City fan to listen too.

I have to turn the sound off when Jonathan Pearce is commentating, I can't stand the hysterical shrieking when someone scores. Am I alone in this? He doesn't seem to do it when commentating on women's football.

Archived