IGNORED

Stephen Lansdown sells nearly £130m of stock

zippycar

The article says Hargreaves Lansdown market cap £9.3 billion so 10.9% of that equals £1.01 billion

I believe that be owned upwards of 25% at one stage.

According to Wiki

"In April 2009, he sold a stake of 4.7% in Hargreaves Lansdown for a sum of £47.2million, which he put towards the cost of building Bristol City's new football stadium."

At today's share price that would have netted him approx £430 million - ouch

But I suppose he's still a billionaire

The article is not that extensive:

The co-founder of Hargreaves Lansdown has sold nearly £130million of his stock.

Stephen Lansdown, 65, offloaded 6.6million shares, leaving him with a 10.9per cent stake.

The billionaire set up the firm with Peter Hargreaves in a bedroom in 1981 and has seen it grow into a £9.3billion behemoth.

Lansdown, a married father of two who lives in Guernsey, has railed against red tape, saying if today’s restrictive rules were in place in the 1980s he would not have launched his firm. 

Ouch!

I bloody hope he employs the right people to spend his money.  

All well and good for us fans seeing money thrown at the club but the amount he’s put in for mid table Championship is bloody frightening.

Perhaps time to spend the money on a proper CEO who knows wtf to do with the cash.

Forgive me for my lack of business knowledge here..

I’m sure he’s sold a large amount of his shares in the last few years. Regardless of his now 10% stake equalling 1 billion, surely this isn’t good for Steve in the long term? I’d imagine HL is generating more profit than City, so is he not ultimately sacrificing consistent profit/assets to fund the development of city/Bristol sport? What part of his strategy am I missing here? 

57 minutes ago, BobbyIsMyDad said:

I’m sure he’s sold a large amount of his shares in the last few years. Regardless of his now 10% stake equalling 1 billion, surely this isn’t good for Steve in the long term? I’d imagine HL is generating more profit than City, so is he not ultimately sacrificing consistent profit/assets to fund the development of city/Bristol sport? What part of his strategy am I missing here? 

He’s got enough. The markets are high. He pays little income tax and he still gets dividends. 

What he has sold really isn’t that significant in terms of his total wealth. 

He is not just leaving money in cash he is investing elsewhere and Bristol Sport while being significant is really not his major investment and certainly not a wealth generator

The question I would ask myself is if he is considering not living in Jersey anymore (after the current tax year) vis a vis the bloke who owns Middlesbrough who moved back because he wanted to go out with his mates rather than sit on millions being miserable!

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

He’s got enough. The markets are high. He pays little income tax and he still gets dividends. 

What he has sold really isn’t that significant in terms of his total wealth. 

He is not just leaving money in cash he is investing elsewhere and Bristol Sport while being significant is really not his major investment and certainly not a wealth generator

The question I would ask myself is if he is considering not living in Jersey anymore (after the current tax year) vis a vis the bloke who owns Middlesbrough who moved back because he wanted to go out with his mates rather than sit on millions being miserable!

He lives on Guernsey

20 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

He has put money in to Ravenscroft a year or two ago. May be he's adding a bit more.

Yes any good advisor will tell you to spread your investments. Maybe he just doesn't want all his money tied up in one company.

It must irk him a bit though when he sees what the shares he sold to rebuild AG would be worth now. Can't say I feel sorry for him though.

It's obscene that one person has that amount of wealth and avoids tax. However good it's been to city it's become a bit sad to see someone frittering money on an attempt to play premier league football when yards from AG people visit food banks. Of course it's good for us but like people say " you can't buy class"

8 hours ago, BobbyIsMyDad said:

I suppose that by selling his stock, it means that regardless of the profit HL make he'll still get a smaller cut of it.

I'm no financial expert, and I know very little about HL outside of interviewing there once (one of the worst interviews I've ever had), but Steve Lansdown is edging towards retirement age. People in his position often retire before the standard retirement age, so my gut feeling is that he's gradually selling off his shares in HL t move away from the company. It makes sense, I guess. His son isn't involved in the business, and a sudden exit would damage HL, so bow out gracefully and gradually. 

With that being said, I wonder what it means for the future of Bristol City. Lansdown won't be around forever, and he's still bankrolling the club, so unless he can improve our fortunes commercially, and ensure we're a steady ship then I can't see anyone wanting to invest in us post-Lansdown, as they could let us fall down the table and pick us up on the cheap.

• Admin
9 hours ago, zippycar said:

Does this mean a spending spree is imminent?

Probably not - remember FFP, unless he invests in the naming of the stadium, but SL doesn't seem the type of person that would want that

2 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

He has put money in to Ravenscroft a year or two ago. May be he's adding a bit more.

Also invests here https://thevoicebw.com/from-bedroom-to-boardroom/

A really nice article to read

1 hour ago, Super said:

Yes for the Bristol Bears.

I would guess that staying in the top league is the biggest priority at the moment

42 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

I suppose that by selling his stock, it means that regardless of the profit HL make he'll still get a smaller cut of it.

I'm no financial expert, and I know very little about HL outside of interviewing there once (one of the worst interviews I've ever had), but Steve Lansdown is edging towards retirement age. People in his position often retire before the standard retirement age, so my gut feeling is that he's gradually selling off his shares in HL t move away from the company. It makes sense, I guess. His son isn't involved in the business, and a sudden exit would damage HL, so bow out gracefully and gradually. 

With that being said, I wonder what it means for the future of Bristol City. Lansdown won't be around forever, and he's still bankrolling the club, so unless he can improve our fortunes commercially, and ensure we're a steady ship then I can't see anyone wanting to invest in us post-Lansdown, as they could let us fall down the table and pick us up on the cheap.

There will always be someone willing to invest in the club, perhaps someone with even more money ( if that's possible ) .

In any case the club will be here long after we have moved on to the upper tier . 

Archived