IGNORED

A difficult start to our summer recruitment

Major Isewater

So it appears that we've missed out on two of our top reported targets, Henderson and McQueen , looks like we could be in for a difficult transfer window.

The two mentioned are the types of player that everybody knows are quality and it still seems that we are some way down the list of ' clubs to play for in my career ' for many players.

We need to be much more inventive in our recruitment. This was how we bought in the majority of our recent signings.

If we lose our ' stars ' from the team this is going to be a tough old season.

Anyway , I shouldn't be worrying there are two weeks to go before the squad report back for preseason training and we have Mark Ashton pulling the strings . 

Strap yourselves in people.

I'd say that every year there will be at least 5 clubs permanently ahead of us in the race to sign players if they are looking at the same targets as we are. That would be 2 or 3 of the clubs coming down from the Prem, providing they are not complete basket cases, and 2 or 3 clubs pushing for the prem at the top of the Championship. Until we have been around the top of the championship and really are a side that can press for the play offs / automatic promotion year on year we won't get a look in. I feel a player would compromise on wages a little if he thought that the long term chances of promotion were good but, as we enter our 4th season back in the Championship, we are still not in a position to show that. 

4 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

I'd say that every year there will be at least 5 clubs permanently ahead of us in the race to sign players if they are looking at the same targets as we are. That would be 2 or 3 of the clubs coming down from the Prem, providing they are not complete basket cases, and 2 or 3 clubs pushing for the prem at the top of the Championship. Until we have been around the top of the championship and really are a side that can press for the play offs / automatic promotion year on year we won't get a look in. I feel a player would compromise on wages a little if he thought that the long term chances of promotion were good but, as we enter our 4th season back in the Championship, we are still not in a position to show that. 

Yep, the skill, is finding the players nobody else is after, or if there is other interest we are the big-fish.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, the skill, is finding the players nobody else is after, or if there is other interest we are the big-fish.

It looks like the big-fish strategy is what City is using with the potential signing of Hakeeb Adelakun

So the BP article starts 'reports linking McQueen to Ashton Gate are wide of the mark' .... two lines later 'City will have to turn their attentions elsewhere' waaaaaiiit a minute the first suggests no link and the second suggests there is, quality reporting from the BP as always

• Admin
1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

So it appears that we've missed out on two of our top reported targets, Henderson and McQueen , looks like we could be in for a difficult transfer window.

I would guess this sort of thing happens to every club every transfer window

It's just the power of social media etc that we are all now more aware of what is going on around us

Nothing to worry about, we'll sign who we need.

Surely this summer our stock is as high as it has ever been, and we must be quite attractive to the pool of players we are aiming for.

There are so many reasons why we should be able to recruit the players we are after:

Stable club, top class stadium, League Cup run and improved profile, good management and ownership, play a decent standard of football, etc.

I used to think I knew how transfers worked but it just all seems so bloody complicated now :grr:

CLUB - How much do you want for the player? Ok, fine we'll pay that, tick

PLAYER - How much do you want a week sonny? Ok, fine we'll pay that, tick.

Now it seems there is so much more, cat & mouse, moving the goalposts, kidology?

All maybe it is solely down to how much money the player can get in wages/signing on fee, or a Grand Piano for his Mrs :laugh: (Ivan Testemitanu for the younger members)

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Most of our ‘links’ with players are completely fabricated anyway. Almost all of our signings come out of the blue with no one having even heard a whisper that we were ever in for them. 

Spot on. All the fretting on here about mere conjecture, during every window, is very amusing!

1 hour ago, hodge said:

So the BP article starts 'reports linking McQueen to Ashton Gate are wide of the mark' .... two lines later 'City will have to turn their attentions elsewhere' waaaaaiiit a minute the first suggests no link and the second suggests there is, quality reporting from the BP as always

That bloke is useless. Bring back Stocky!

• Admin
11 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Spot on. All the fretting on here about mere conjecture, during every window, is very amusing!

I would suspect many of the "rumours" actually originate from the players agents trying to drum up interest in their player

OPs like this remind me of Bristol Live reporting.

There is no concrete evidence we ever wanted McQueen in the first place and he hasn’t gone somewhere else, so how can anyone claim we have “missed out”?

Henderson may well be a different matter but once he signed a new deal with Man U I was happy that we are presumably looking to bring in a keeper who will actually be our player.

There are still three weeks before they go to Marbella and I’d be very surprised if we don’t have three new players plus Watkins who has already signed, here by then.

I got slagged off for saying this a while back, but I don’t expect us to have any net spend this summer once the likes of Reid & Bryan leave and I think that is a factor too.

I'm confident we're an attractive prospect - new ground, decent training facilities, no 'names' who will always be picked, think for sensible lower league players looking to make the step up, or Prem players looking for first team games, we're a pretty decent proposition.

But we have to be realistic - if we're after someone that half a dozen clubs are in for, it's going to be a struggle.  But we managed to attract Tammy against strong competition.

Possibly- and admittedly it was only via Bristol Live so pinch of salt etc- we missed out on Henderson because we wanted him permanently. That's right, isn't it?

I think personally, a summer of relative stability- a nice quiet summer would be welcome. Get one or 2 in if needs be, but don't go nuts with the ins and outs or the spending. Maybe our FFP wriggle-room instead of being used to splash out could be used to take the risk and keep Bryan and Reid for one more year- lot of sides in a financial mess this year, or a state of flux

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

How do we/you know that City were in for them?  :dunno:

Just asking that's all...........

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

The two mentioned are the types of player that everybody knows are quality and it still seems that we are some way down the list of ' clubs to play for in my career ' for many players.

We need to be much more inventive in our recruitment. This was how we bought in the majority of our recent signings.

Anyway , I shouldn't be worrying there are two weeks to go before the squad report back for preseason training and we have Mark Ashton pulling the strings . 

Not getting rid of key players is good 

5 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Nothing to worry about, we'll sign who we need.

Surely this summer our stock is as high as it has ever been, and we must be quite attractive to the pool of players we are aiming for.

There are so many reasons why we should be able to recruit the players we are after:

Stable club, top class stadium, League Cup run and improved profile, good management and ownership, play a decent standard of football, etc.

Not sure we are as attractive as you think.

I would not describe us as stable over the seasons since promotion. As for good management, really?  And don't even start me on ownership, not that I think players take a blind bit of notice of that. 

They will ask:

1 How  much will they pay ?

2 is LJ ever going to get beyond his yo yo seasons?

3 Is the club ambitious enough given last January fiasco?

Plus do I really want to play in a shirt shouting Dunder?!?

8 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Not saying ITK but do know someone who has been at the club long time , Henderson we were in for but only signing , moment it was loan backed off , scunny kid seems for real anything else pure speculation , to the extent that they all have a good laugh at the names put forward , wide of the mark and then say we missed out on them ! 

Cards are being kept very close to their chest 

Archived