IGNORED

Kit Production

Edge1981

Anyone know why we use Bristol Sport to produce our kits?

Is it simply so we can choose our own designs and have ultimate control over what we put out?

I’m not entirely sure how it works but I would imagine that a big sports brand pays a football club money in order to produce their kits for the season? Surely we are losing a fair bit of money allowing by not having a proper sports manufacturer producing our kits?

I believe that the deals only become value for money for teams higher up.

I think the problem with the Adidas deal was that Adidas had a very large minimum order, so City would have to order the whole season's stock at once and hope it was enough, risking having lots of leftover stock. 

Having in-house means they have total control over everything.

47 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

Is it simply so we can choose our own designs and have ultimate control over what we put out?

I’m not entirely sure how it works but I would imagine that a big sports brand pays a football club money in order to produce their kits for the season? Surely we are losing a fair bit of money allowing by not having a proper sports manufacturer producing our kits?

You think Adidas paid us to produce our kit..?! 

55 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

It’s so we fans don’t have to pay so much for shirts..

I’d say we aren’t losing any money at all by not having a ‘proper’ sports manufacturer

1 minute ago, David Brent said:

It’s so we fans don’t have to pay so much for shirts..

I’d say we aren’t losing any money at all by not having a ‘proper’ sports manufacturer

But we pay exactly the same amount we did with adidas don't we?

• Admin
1 hour ago, Edge1981 said:

Surely "Bristol Sport" don't produce the kits though, it is just outsourced to another company - hence the reason the club shop ran out of stock last November

6 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

No. Most shirts these days are around £50. 

Ours are £45 and all season ticket holder get £10 off, plus the new 10% bonus in credit, meaning a replica shirt effectively gets retailed at £31.50, which is incredibly cheap by comparison. 

Plus the thousands of free shirts given to under 12 STH. 

There is no doubt that we get a better deal with things being done this way. 

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Surely "Bristol Sport" don't produce the kits though, it is just outsourced to another company - hence the reason the club shop ran out of stock last November

More than likely. And the chances are it's a shared facility being used by the big name kit manufacturing companies like Nike and Adidas.

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

More than likely. And the chances are it's a shared facility being used by the big name kit manufacturing companies like Nike and Adidas.

WHAT...?! You mean the Lansdown’s aren’t sat around of an evening, hand stitching the new Robins badge on to the new away kits..?! 

Much prefer having them done in-house. Gives us much more creative freedom when designing the kit. Got so fed up of generic Adidas templates towards the end, can't even remember a good kit before we switched (in fact my favourite one was the one with the black bar on the kit but we had an awful season so I didn't get it). It's not a coincidence that we are going back to what fans want, or have desired for a while, now it is in-house. Hence the return to purple and lime, and even the robin this season. Last season's kits in particular I thought were the best set we had had in a long time.

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

The Oxford United label episode confirmed they were being produced by Vision Outsourcing: https://www.bristol-sport.co.uk/news/bristol-sport-investigate-isolated-kit-label/

The White Label Solution (based at the same address as Vision) also seem to be involved in the process: http://thewhitelabelsolution.co.uk/bristol-sport/

14 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

WHAT...?! You mean the Lansdown’s aren’t sat around of an evening, hand stitching the new Robins badge on to the new away kits..?! 

Did you all miss the offer of a tour at the shirt manufacturers base? Here are a couple of pictures for those who missed out.

corry 1.png

corry 2.png

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

@BS4 on Tour... although we both agree on the merits of Mick McCarthy, you’ll see an interesting section on ‘net spend’ and why it’s largely irrelevant especially in comparison of one club to another.

Bristol Rob - thanks for posting.  Good to see some facts about shirts sales too....lots if oropie saying Utd made up for Pogba’s fee with shirt sales which I knew was BS!

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

Shirt costs the same in shop before ST benefits etc +/- a few quid, however we keep the profits on the shirts rather than puma/adidas getting their share as well. 

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

No. We pay more.

We shouldn’t have to though.

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

No. Most shirts these days are around £50. 

Ours are £45 and all season ticket holder get £10 off, plus the new 10% bonus in credit, meaning a replica shirt effectively gets retailed at £31.50, which is incredibly cheap by comparison. 

Plus the thousands of free shirts given to under 12 STH. 

There is no doubt that we get a better deal with things being done this way. 

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

Shirt costs the same in shop before ST benefits etc +/- a few quid, however we keep the profits on the shirts rather than puma/adidas getting their share as well. 

Cheers everyone.

£50 is ******* daylight robbery for a football shirt. Definitely prefer the kits being made in house.

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Cheers everyone.

£50 is ******* daylight robbery for a football shirt. Definitely prefer the kits being made in house.

£45 for adult shirt, £35 for youth shirt on online shop, that's before the £10 for season ticket holders etc

1 minute ago, hodge said:

£45 for adult shirt, £35 for youth shirt on online shop, that's before the £10 for season ticket holders etc

Yeah thats what I'm getting at, we've got a better deal now than we'd have with a major manufacturer where you don't get that tenner off.

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:
  1. We have control over the design - no template horrors like the Adidas Star Trek kits
  2. We keep profits from sales
  3. We control the production and ordering
  4. Potentially, we could do kits for other teams - more money

We are probably still subject to a minimum order though, which given the shirt changes every year and the popularity of shirts vary, might explain why we run out and don't have an end of season sale.

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

Which still makes it surprising we ran out of shirts 

But then had loads left over at the end of the season which they failed to reduce the price of, and Africans are more than likely to be sporting right now. 

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

But then had loads left over at the end of the season which they failed to reduce the price of, and Africans are more than likely to be sporting right now. 

I still don't get their logic on this.
They would have known that they were going to change the kit for this year. Then why not have a sale maybe a month or so before the end of the season with shirts at £20, I'm sure they would have shifted a few. They probably would have covered the costs of manufacturing them , they still would have had some for charity.

Interesting bit in that article that jumped out "Adidas, Nike, Puma and other kit suppliers get 85-90% of shirt sale revenue and this is the industry standard"
Going by that it makes perfect sense to have them made locally, we then have design and manufacturing costs but keep all profits. As others have said, more design say and numbers purchased could be monitored better. Plus we don't play in the same kits as half the other teams around. And didn't we have supply issues with a so called big company?

14 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I still don't get their logic on this.
They would have known that they were going to change the kit for this year. Then why not have a sale maybe a month or so before the end of the season with shirts at £20, I'm sure they would have shifted a few. They probably would have covered the costs of manufacturing them , they still would have had some for charity.

They do seem to reappear on a discount rail at the back of the store next to the coffee shop but a season or so later. What they do with it inbetween I anyone’s guess.

Archived