IGNORED

Kit Production

Edge1981

1 hour ago, Newquay-Red said:

Much prefer having them done in-house. Gives us much more creative freedom when designing the kit. Got so fed up of generic Adidas templates towards the end, can't even remember a good kit before we switched (in fact my favourite one was the one with the black bar on the kit but we had an awful season so I didn't get it). It's not a coincidence that we are going back to what fans want, or have desired for a while, now it is in-house. Hence the return to purple and lime, and even the robin this season. Last season's kits in particular I thought were the best set we had had in a long time.

Agree with this - apart from the bit about the kit with the black bar, which I hated!

17 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I still don't get their logic on this.
They would have known that they were going to change the kit for this year. Then why not have a sale maybe a month or so before the end of the season with shirts at £20, I'm sure they would have shifted a few. They probably would have covered the costs of manufacturing them , they still would have had some for charity.

I presume they are hoping to avoid having people not buying a full price shirt on the grounds that they will just appear for a discount later.

1 minute ago, richwwtk said:

I presume they are hoping to avoid having people not buying a full price shirt on the grounds that they will just appear for a discount later.

I do get that.
But who in their right mind, knowing we change design/sponsor/colour every year , would buy a shirt after Feb/March? You know you'll get another kit within months so buy one and be current for a couple of months. There is obviously a strategy there. I've not noticed them on a discount rail as @Aipearcey said , and if this happens why not have a 'retro' line on the shop site? It would then make perfect sense.

17 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

But who in their right mind, knowing we change design/sponsor/colour every year , would buy a shirt after Feb/March?

Nobody would, but some would not buy one in August knowing they will be cheaper in feb/march hence the club stopping the discounting meaning that people won't put off buying.

Of course, there will now be some people that won't buy at all, that may have done when the prices were reduced, but I guess the (root of all evil) marketing people, must have decided they will make more profit on forcing people to buy at full price than they would by reducing unsold stock.

7 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

must have decided they will make more profit on forcing people to buy at full price than they would by reducing unsold stock.

Must have.
I'm one that won't pay full price as I rarely wear them. Just got 2 for just over £20 on eBay (one was BNWT) , I wear them around the house but not often out. Used to be tempted when they were discounted, but not at £35. Might get some shorts to use up my £10 though.

58 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I still don't get their logic on this.
They would have known that they were going to change the kit for this year. Then why not have a sale maybe a month or so before the end of the season with shirts at £20, I'm sure they would have shifted a few. They probably would have covered the costs of manufacturing them , they still would have had some for charity.

I make a point of going into the shops of every away ground I go to, I have never been to a club where they haven’t had a sale of shirts of some sort. 

Burton had a great idea I thought. Selling off players match worn shirts, jackets, training kit for hugely reduced prices. Really nice jackets ( which didn’t look like they had been worn at all, so maybe player surplus rather than worn, were about £20/£25 so about £50 off. All badged up with the players name and number etc.

Forest had their shirts for £10 I think for the last game of the season, and they were flying out the shop. Ok we would just miss making a profit if we sold at a tenner I expect, but it can be done. 

I really don’t think people will buy a last seasons shirt and not the next, I think people will think ‘I got this one for a bargain so I will buy the next’

I understand the club wants to support its African community links, if that’s where they have gone, but why not sell off the shirts and use any money to put to better use over there rather than giving an item of clothing ( which is pretty impractical in the heat) to wear.

9 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Must have.
I'm one that won't pay full price as I rarely wear them. Just got 2 for just over £20 on eBay (one was BNWT) , I wear them around the house but not often out. Used to be tempted when they were discounted, but not at £35. Might get some shorts to use up my £10 though.

I haven't bought a shirt for around twenty years now, but still wear some of my old ones around the house. Bit of a tighter fit than they used to be!

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

WHAT...?! You mean the Lansdown’s aren’t sat around of an evening, hand stitching the new Robins badge on to the new away kits..?! 

I hear Frankie Fielding does it most evenings, and that it takes a toll on his hands.

8 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I haven't bought a shirt for around twenty years now, but still wear some of my old ones around the house. Bit of a tighter fit than they used to be!

I've still got my white 76 one , probably look like a crop top on me now 

1 hour ago, RedM said:

But then had loads left over at the end of the season which they failed to reduce the price of, and Africans are more than likely to be sporting right now. 

You have a problem with under privileged children from 3rd world countries being donated our left over stock, ahead of people living in western world comparative Luxury, who hadn’t seen fit to purchase them in the preceding 9 months..?! 

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

You have a problem with under privileged children from 3rd world countries being donated our left over stock, ahead of people living in western world comparative Luxury, who hadn’t seen fit to purchase them in the preceding 9 months..?! 

I don't think that was the point that was being made. I think it was more of a general stock management observation.

3 hours ago, jambodinho said:

Most of the Bristol sport kits have looked pretty nice on the players but up close in the shop, they are of a poor quality. 

this,

i was tempted to buy a shit last season, but the feel of them was horrible which put me off

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Interesting bit in that article that jumped out "Adidas, Nike, Puma and other kit suppliers get 85-90% of shirt sale revenue and this is the industry standard"
Going by that it makes perfect sense to have them made locally, we then have design and manufacturing costs but keep all profits. As others have said, more design say and numbers purchased could be monitored better. Plus we don't play in the same kits as half the other teams around. And didn't we have supply issues with a so called big company?

Agree with this. But if it’s such a great deal for the club (and I’m not doubting that it is) then it begs the question as to why all other clubs of our level and below don’t do the same (appreciate that higher level clubs get paid for wearing a brand)? 

4 minutes ago, city1983 said:

this,

i was tempted to buy a shit last season, but the feel of them was horrible which put me off

Bought one for my 8 year  daughter and she won’t wear it because of the material and ‘itchy neck’ apparently! She’ll wear it in the winter when she can wear a jumper underneath though. 

29 minutes ago, lenred said:

Agree with this. But if it’s such a great deal for the club (and I’m not doubting that it is) then it begs the question as to why all other clubs of our level and below don’t do the same (appreciate that higher level clubs get paid for wearing a brand)? 

Initial outlay? Only guessing, but if the bigger manufacturers really do get 80% of shirt sales (as in that article ) then I'd imagine they take the risks. The big clubs , working with the bigger brands would get what amounts to sponsorship deals, the likes of Puma,Adidas etc making the money back on shirts. Not sure how it works lower down.

37 minutes ago, lenred said:

Fair question. Might it have something to do with Bristol Sport - eg through BS we have the scale to do it ourselves? 

4 minutes ago, City Ben said:

Fair question. Might it have something to do with Bristol Sport - eg through BS we have the scale to do it ourselves? 

Good point. Think you’re right and that must be the case. Lots of kit across all the different sports (especially rugby which has absolute mountains of the stuff) must mean we get a good deal with whoever it is that actually manufactures for us. 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Do I, really? I don’t think so and I know me better than you do.

32 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It was a question, not a statement. 

Based on your previous post and punctuated by the question mark at the end..! 

And if you had read my previous post you would have seen my suggestion that maybe surplus shirts could be sold here ( where the demand is) and money raised to help African communities, thus proving I do not have a problem with helping in a charitable way.

Archived