IGNORED

England v Panama Match Day Thread

wendyredredrobin

7 minutes ago, Olympian said:

It's very very obvious that England just let Panama get their fun after they achieved the 6-0 they needed and they sacrificed their headstart against Belgium for that. I think those players are pure filth. And everyone's smiling like it's all ******* great.

Get this shit out of football

They’re still top on fair play 

Positives:- young side, job done, set pieces are dangerous and team has goals and the squad looks happy and confident.

Negatives:-far too casual at the back at times, over complicating at times, Sterling still a passenger, surely we have better than Young and Delph.

As I said job done, hopefully we won't take our foot off of the gas against Belgium, try to qualify top of the group but will definitely need to tighten up at the back IMO.

13 minutes ago, Olympian said:

It's very very obvious that England just let Panama get their fun after they achieved the 6-0 they needed and they sacrificed their headstart against Belgium for that. I think those players are pure filth. And everyone's smiling like it's all ******* great.

Get this shit out of football

It’s a hot day and we’ve all had a coffee

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I agree and Southgate was right to keep him on but I think he needs replacing for the next game.

I sort of agree but part of me thinks stick with him in a dead rubber and see if he can get one to get him off and running. We know how good he can be and it is so frustrating that he`s so off the boil at the moment.

Haven't read a single comment of this thread. This is the most confident I've ever been having seen England play (I'm only 24 (as of today)). Granted, it's only Panama, but we look like we have an actual team out there. Suddenly the combative nature of Henderson makes sense, Kane has 4 goals from 4 shots if I'm not mistaken, Stones gets a shot of confidence, Loftus Cheek has an impressive game, Lingard shrugs off the WWE wrestlers. The setplay at 4-0 was masterful, even if Sterling couldn't put it away. Not predicting anything, but this is already the best functioning England team I've ever seen play (wasn't watching Euro 96, as I was 2 years old). 

Haven't enjoyed us play like that for years. For that, thank you Southgate. Thank for making us a beast at setpieces.

Just now, Luxo Jr. said:

Haven't read a single comment of this thread. This is the most confident I've ever been having seen England play (I'm only 24 (as of today)). Granted, it's only Panama, but we look like we have an actual team out there. Suddenly the combative nature of Henderson makes sense, Kane has 4 goals from 4 shots if I'm not mistaken, Stones gets a shot of confidence, Loftus Cheek has an impressive game, Lingard shrugs off the WWE wrestlers. The setplay at 4-0 was masterful, even if Sterling couldn't put it away. Not predicting anything, but this is already the best functioning England team I've ever seen play (wasn't watching Euro 96, as I was 2 years old). 

Haven't enjoyed us play like that for years. For that, thank you Southgate. Thank for making us a beast at setpieces.

You old man!

(I'm 23 today)

Happy with that. Controlled possession, had the chances- managed to make some subs after getting it settled early. Scoring 6 goals from about 11 shots- not 11 on target- is so clinical.

On the downside- we gave away too many chances. Not just talking about when the game was won either which obviously can happen, talking the first phases of the game. Gave the ball away a bit early on also- better sides could well have punished both of these.

Overall good- enjoyable too, but some questions moving forward- Belgium should undoubtedly be a good gauge but overall a good day IMO.

Seeing a lot of ‘it’s better to finish second’, and sure, it might be.

Should not rule out however that calculation goes out the window, if Germany actually win their group. Yes, it’s not in their own hands, but assuming they win by a few, it only needs Sweden to beat Mexico, which is not that unlikely.

By the time we kick off v Belgium, we might both want to win it, preferring Brazil in the QFs than Germany, if we all get that far.

Lots of positives today of course, but still do not really look like keeping clean sheets any time soon. Panama could still have had two or three.

First game we played well for maybe a half, but missed chances. Today I thought was the same , but we took the chances.
Too many miss placed passes at the back giving away chances, Tunisia missed a few , as did Panama earlier. Against better sides we will be punished.
That said, against better sides we may be more focused , lets hope. TBF after it went 3-0 so early , it's hard to judge them as they're bound to lose a little intensity.
Few changes for the Belgium game. Rashford has to start, maybe TAA and Rose. Dier may be given a run against a better opposition, but I don't think any of those weaken the side much but depends on knocks.

53 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

This is the most confident I've ever been having seen England play (I'm only 24 (as of today)).

Young man, when you have as many grey hairs as I do, you may well have seen a better performance by then. But possibly not many. Malcolm MacDonald may have had a more emphatic game back in the days when telly was in black and white.

Have to say it was a strange feeling to see us waltz away with the first half - more used to frustration and/or concerns. Not the usual England style. The second half was perhaps predictably down a gear or two and some players were caught having a siesta. The Belgium game will prove whether that is simply down to preserving energies or reverting to type. In the mean time it's flags aloft! :englandflag:

Oh, and happy birthday!:drunk2:

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

First game we played well for maybe a half, but missed chances. Today I thought was the same , but we took the chances.
Too many miss placed passes at the back giving away chances, Tunisia missed a few , as did Panama earlier. Against better sides we will be punished.
That said, against better sides we may be more focused , lets hope. TBF after it went 3-0 so early , it's hard to judge them as they're bound to lose a little intensity.
Few changes for the Belgium game. Rashford has to start, maybe TAA and Rose. Dier may be given a run against a better opposition, but I don't think any of those weaken the side much but depends on knocks.

Fair play and 'hats off' to England-first half outstanding focus and great finishing  against shithouse tactics..

But boy,how bad were England 'without the ball???...will be seriously punished by the stronger sides if not addressed.

4 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Fair play and 'hats off' to England-first half outstanding focus and great finishing  against shithouse tactics..

But boy,how bad were England 'without the ball???...will be seriously punished by the stronger sides if not addressed.

Yep, I do worry. The goals glossed over the fact we gave them several decent chances, but . I hope some of that was down to relaxing a bit, which I hope we won't do from now on in, unless we're 6-0 up Vs Belgium, then I'll forgive them a little.

2 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Pathetic defending at corners. Why continue to hold, not look in the direction of the ball and giving away pen after pen? Another team the tournament can do without.

Because they are not very good at it. England hold players and use blockers who will not look at the ball v man at corners. 

56 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

did it really matter, they did what they had to, don't we all?

Archived