IGNORED

England v Panama Match Day Thread

wendyredredrobin

2 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Positives:- young side, job done, set pieces are dangerous and team has goals and the squad looks happy and confident.

Negatives:-far too casual at the back at times, over complicating at times, Sterling still a passenger, surely we have better than Young and Delph.

As I said job done, hopefully we won't take our foot off of the gas against Belgium, try to qualify top of the group but will definitely need to tighten up at the back IMO.

You make some good points EMB.

Defensively speaking that is not the best back three we could have out there. They are more effective in the opposition box than they are in their own.

I have never been a fan of Sterling and especially in the no.10 shirt. He's not the type of player like a Beardsley or a Bergkamp that you need in that role. Let's hope I'm proved wrong but I would prefer to see us move to a 3-5-2 as against this 3-5-1-1. Kane tends to stay central where he is most effective and could be complemented by Rashford playing across the front line and using the space on both flanks where he has been dangerous recently when coming on.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Yep, I do worry. The goals glossed over the fact we gave them several decent chances, but . I hope some of that was down to relaxing a bit, which I hope we won't do from now on in, unless we're 6-0 up Vs Belgium, then I'll forgive them a little.

We gave them a couple of chances early on through sloppy play when the score was still 0-0. 

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I sort of agree but part of me thinks stick with him in a dead rubber and see if he can get one to get him off and running. We know how good he can be and it is so frustrating that he`s so off the boil at the moment.

It’s not a dead rubber, winning in football and especially competitions like this is a good habit plus top place is at stake and Belgium are to dangerous a side to an advantage to at this stage.

Sterling isn’t dynamic enough to play as a number 10 his body language is one of a player sadly out of his comfort zone and he has had more than enough chances imo, on todays display Lingard looks a better number 10 to me and I think that he can be inconsistent at times but he looked focused today.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Job done .

Emphatically .

It doesn't matter who you  play 6-1 is a good result .

Panama celebrated their goal like they'd won the World Cup which speaks volumes but you can only beat what's in front of you .

Well done England.

Yep , a well deserved thrashing of the second worse team in the World Cup behind Saudi. 

Important to beat Belgium on Thursday - winning is a habit.

That said I have a gut feeling that'll be a 2-2 draw. If its the same on Thursday I'll whack a score on the game.

First thing I’ll say is, for momentum and confidence I think England should absolutely go for the win on Thursday. 

But let’s say it’s 1-1 with 90 mins on the clock on Thursday. England are going through as group winners due to the Fair Play rule but second spot is the more desirable route.

Could they, in theory, pick up a couple of silly yellow cards for time wasting or something and concede the Fair Play advantage to Belgium? Is this even possible?

5 hours ago, Calculus said:

I know that Fifa want to make sure that there's representation from all parts of the world but the idea that the likes Panama are at this World Cup while Italy and Holland sit at home seems nuts to me....

Each confederation sends there best teams to compete against each other for title of best in the world.

Italy and Holland had there chance and blew it.

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

First thing I’ll say is, for momentum and confidence I think England should absolutely go for the win on Thursday. 

But let’s say it’s 1-1 with 90 mins on the clock on Thursday. England are going through as group winners due to the Fair Play rule but second spot is the more desirable route.

Could they, in theory, pick up a couple of silly yellow cards for time wasting or something and concede the Fair Play advantage to Belgium? Is this even possible?

Theoretically it seems possible.

Whether they would manage is another question, referees been incredibly reluctant to book anyone.

Well. My club also won today although barely. We're the only Swedish team to have a player representing in the World Cup but we're also one of few Swedish clubs (with actual support) who don't get a break for the World cup, so we have to play without him. Lots of Swedish supporters are on holiday just to watch our captain for the brief moments when Sweden are still in the tournament. He scored the winner against Korea aswell, although he plays centre back.

I still feel bad about what the English players did towards the end of this game though.

1 minute ago, Olympian said:

They gave the result away. Face it. That's what they did.

I still hope England will win the world cup, but this game was offputting.

Fair enough, I'm not disagreeing with you, just wondered. :thumbsup:

We most certainly took our foot off and could have / probably should have utterly crushed a very poor side.

14 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I may be in a minority of one but I'm quite pleased by that, Rashford seems to have far more impact when he comes on a sub  Sterling seems to start like a train then lose momentum .

Could someone please explain how Ashley Young is the preferred choice over Danny Rose

Maybe because Danny Rose has played very little football this year? Maybe because the coaches watch these players day in day out and therefore know them better than you or I!

9 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Without sounding like I’m putting a downer on that free kick, but why use that one now.

3-0 up against Panama already and you use a free kick that every other team in the competition now knows about.

Surely you save it for when we play someone decent.

I’m sure it’s not the only free kick we’ve worked on!

as for those talking about not beating Belgium, easy routes etc I still remember Iceland for starters. That was the “easier” route.

if we beat belgium there’s no reason to fear any other team in the tournament. The team will want to win to keep momentum going and I don’t think there should be too many changes before Thursday. Keep the rhythm going and let the players gel even more.

3 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Fair enough, I'm not disagreeing with you, just wondered. :thumbsup:

We most certainly took our foot off and could have / probably should have utterly crushed a very poor side.

Why tho? We crushed them in the 1st half and the second half was just a case of going through the motions, no point in wasting energy, risking injuries etc when the win was already secured. 

10 hours ago, Olympian said:

They gave the result away. Face it. That's what they did.

I still hope England will win the world cup, but this game was offputting.

They eased through the second half as the game was won in the first. 

1 hour ago, Super said:

They eased through the second half as the game was won in the first. 

We gave away some good chances early on  though and perhaps ball retention at the start wasn't the best either- vs better sides I'm almost certainly we won't be as clinical.

Southgate said he didn't particularly like our performance which was interesting.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We gave away some good chances early on  though and perhaps ball retention at the start wasn't the best either- vs better sides I'm almost certainly we won't be as clinical.

Southgate said he didn't particularly like our performance which was interesting.

I kind of agree with him. Thought we played better against tunisia and against better teams we would have struggled to score 2 yesterday and with the lack of closing down at times we would have conceded a couple more... 

However, massive improvements have obviously been made and I'm still confident of the quarter finals, which would be a very good achievement

10 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Why tho? We crushed them in the 1st half and the second half was just a case of going through the motions, no point in wasting energy, risking injuries etc when the win was already secured. 

I can see what you're saying UTC but 1 more goal and we would guarantee finishing top of the group with a draw against Belgium, now we're reliant on not getting more bookings than them.

That said, I totally appreciate your point.

20 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I kind of agree with him. Thought we played better against tunisia and against better teams we would have struggled to score 2 yesterday and with the lack of closing down at times we would have conceded a couple more... 

However, massive improvements have obviously been made and I'm still confident of the quarter finals, which would be a very good achievement

Can certainly see that- think we could have conceded another goal or 2 yesterday if I'm honest, vs better sides. Better sides perhaps wouldn't have given away 2 penalties either I would suggest- thought our best period of play, consistently was vs Tunisia first half hour- we were superb and Tunisia also better side than Panama.

Agree- quarter finals seems on the cards, Colombia could be tough though- but quarter finals yeah- we've never lost to Colombia either which would count in our favour in that matchup, undoubtedly.

Archived