IGNORED

John Atyeo statue

Redmycolour

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Don’t know why people are surprised this happened.. great England win, sunny day, weekend, day drinking.. add in the fact that the Atyeo statue is basically tailor made for climbing on with that arm pose! 

I'm amazed people can actually scale it, now I've always been notoriously bad at climbing, but it looks pretty difficult to climb up.

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

Disgraceful. Am going to try and get hold of Tom Murphy today to check how sturdy the arms are and whether he needs to come down from Liverpool to check on it. 

You can actually see the statue move a little in the video because of the unexpected forces it experiences due to the idiot putting pressure on the arms as he climbs down. Getting the sculpturer,who I assume Tom Murphy is, to travel for a site visit is additional expense I guess the SC&T will have to cover instead of investing in other projects, as you say disgraceful. I hope that idiot is proud of himself.

10 minutes ago, RedM said:

You can actually see the statue move a little in the video because of the unexpected forces it experiences due to the idiot putting pressure on the arms as he climbs down. Getting the sculpturer,who I assume Tom Murphy is, to travel for a site visit is additional expense I guess the SC&T will have to cover instead of investing in other projects, as you say disgraceful. I hope that idiot is proud of himself.

Surely someone must know who it is, maybe they would like to pay towards the cost of getting it assessed.

Selling piss to people in the sun. BS want them to drink. There is a statue. That will happen. Control measure for the price of ten pints BS can stick a steward next to the statue. Its pretty basic risk assessment and should have been thought of. 

6 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Selling piss to people in the sun. BS want them to drink. There is a statue. That will happen. Control measure for the price of ten pints BS can stick a steward next to the statue. Its pretty basic risk assessment and should have been thought of. 

Pretty much everyone I know could drink themselves silly, but would never consider it proper to climb on the statue...regardless of age or maturity...it just wouldn't happen.

Isn't this the problem in certain parts of society now...where people can't control their own actions, and blame others for not controlling them?

Sad state of affairs...we've become a blame culture, where so many can't control themselves.

Like I said before...too many like this follow football.

Just now, spudski said:

Pretty much everyone I know could drink themselves silly, but would never consider it proper to climb on the statue...regardless of age or maturity...it just wouldn't happen.

Isn't this the problem in certain parts of society now...where people can't control their own actions, and blame others for not controlling them?

Sad state of affairs...we've become a blame culture, where so many can't control themselves.

No. Risk assessment does not work like that. It is as basic as it gets. You sell alcohol to people outdoors for hours in the sun YOU have the responsibility to assess risk. 

When Massive Attack played in Queens square the statues were boarded off and stewards placed in the vicinity. That is not football

Went down for the Tunisia game and there were some absolute dick heads at the end. Destroying the bean bags and throwing all the polystyrene everywhere

What is this constant need now to throw beer everywhere to? You can enjoy a goal and go potty without acting a bellend 

Sadly it's the 'English lads culture '. You see how badly England fans acting in Holland the other month 

4 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Went down for the Tunisia game and there were some absolute dick heads at the end. Destroying the bean bags and throwing all the polystyrene everywhere

What is this constant need now to throw beer everywhere to? You can enjoy a goal and go potty without acting a bellend 

Sadly it's the 'English lads culture '. You see how badly England fans acting in Holland the other month 

On twitter there's a trend this tournament to film the craziest goal celebrations.. usually involving beer throwing, limbs and general destruction. That'll explain the bean bag thing.

I think this statue thing is pretty straightforward really.. just the result of people drinking. Would've happened with any post-war generation since football has been a spectator sport. Alcohol + sun + England winning does things to people!

21 minutes ago, spudski said:

So very true.

Far too many people have no respect for anything or anyone else and have the attitude of "I'll do whatever I want and don't give a **** about anybody else."

15 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Yep. Part of the reason I and many others stay away from places like AG and city centre because it is full of idiots. You can guarantee it will be mayhem when we get knocked out, don't miss it one bit.

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

On twitter there's a trend this tournament to film the craziest goal celebrations.. usually involving beer throwing, limbs and general destruction. That'll explain the bean bag thing.

I think this statue thing is pretty straightforward really.. just the result of people drinking. Would've happened with any post-war generation since football has been a spectator sport. Alcohol + sun + England winning does things to people!

Exactly, this isn't a generation thing. I don't want a whole millenials v old folk argument ;), but let's face it, it was the older generations who were beating the **** out of each other in the 80's, and getting us banned from European competition. Fact is, there are knobheads in all age groups.

It's 100% a lad culture issue but this is not a new phenomenon. 

44 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Ive sent Tom a message. Will keep people posted on his thoughts 

Can you start the ball rolling on the club erecting panels around the statue?  Would not be surprised to see an arm snapped off over the next few weeks.

19 minutes ago, Super said:

The amount of cans / bottles hitting the statue. Really makes me feel sick. Embarrassing.

Does doesn't it? It's so disrespectful to the memory of a man who did wonders for this club.

I wasn’t there but there seems a bit of an overreaction if it was simply clambering up a statue.

Im old and old fashioned but statues have been fair game at celebrations since time immemorial, haven’t they? Look at Trafalgar Square and suchlike at New Years Eve and so on. Look at Dickie Bird’s statue in Barnsley.

I know Atyeo is a hero and deserves respect, but let’s not get all religious about it. He was just a footballer after all.

The damage issue is the only one that matters to me, but if it’s solid bronze it’s probably pretty strong.

13 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Let’s be fair here, there were 2 or 3 idiots who climbed on the statue. 

It was disrespectful and wrong, but it was not done maliciously. They were just being a bit over excited and stupid. 

It was great down there today. Massive crowds, great atmosphere, sunshine and obviously a great result. 

I’ll definitely be going down there again on Thursday. It would be good if the statue was fenced off or something though. As a city fan, I didn’t like it being climbed on. 

Very well said. I was stood only meters away from the statue so can give a good account.

Honestly think a lot of our fans need to pipe down - it wasn't malicious, they weren't being offensive, it was a glorious sunny day, at this point England were 6 nil up, everyone was on the Source and it was jubilant scenes. Grated some who had too much beer took it upon themselves to scale the statue to celebrate but it wasn't meant in a nasty way. They got pelted with beer and bottles by other jubilant supporters and everyone was having a good laugh whilst doing it.

Thought the Gate was fantastic yesterday, better than some City home games, and I'll definitely be attending on Thurs night for the Belgium game.

Appreciate getting drenched in beer in huge crowds may not be everyone's scene but for those in attendance it was a great day! 

Bit of an over reaction on here imo.

The club have set up a seething, boisterous area for large numbers to watch England and encouraged fans to arrive early to drink so it's no surprise this sort of revelry occurs in celebration after hours of drinking in the sun.

It appears to have been spur of the moment high spirits, not violent or malevolent in any way, and no doubt there are those on here displaying outrage who've previously thought it was a reasonable idea to have a go at climbing Neptune's statue when under the influence after a night out.

I doubt any disrespect was intended though John Atyeo's statue obviously needs to be fenced off on these occasions from now on, it's clearly a temptation to some and the club have a duty of care to take measures to prevent inebriated fans putting themselves at risk.

I have no concerns over the high jinks involving statues and alcohol that have always happened regardless of the subject of the statue or the era. Look at pictures of Queen Square during the riots of 1831. However, I am concerned for the preservation of the statue and also the fact that we live in a litigious society. People do actually  sue for falling off of statues!

Indeed, in the US recently there have been so many cases of people falling from statues and then suing, that several states have introduced a law restricting people from climbing upon them. These are called Statues of Limitations.

I was a couple of metres away and to be honest i just thought the statue climbing was just cringy and predictable- i was more concerned about a FULL  can of stella that nearly took my head off . Fence statue off with stewards in attendance and job done , luckily no one got hurt or statue damaged and all in all it was a good afternoon - and just for the record im a so called 'remoaner 'but found that brexit comment as a feeble irrelevant cheap shot . 

Archived