IGNORED

John Atyeo statue

Redmycolour

2 hours ago, nebristolred said:

Exactly, this isn't a generation thing. I don't want a whole millenials v old folk argument ;), but let's face it, it was the older generations who were beating the **** out of each other in the 80's, and getting us banned from European competition. Fact is, there are knobheads in all age groups.

It's 100% a lad culture issue but this is not a new phenomenon. 

It was those who are now middle aged! 

Those of us who are OLD, stood side by side with opposing supporters exchanging nothing but banter. And queued in the local newsagents for the Green Un without any bad behaviour at all. 

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

if it’s solid bronze it’s probably pretty strong

Most bronze statues are hollow, with it being so expensive and difficult to manage large, solid pieces. I suspect Big John is at least partly hollow and not designed to withstand extra loads.

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

No. Risk assessment does not work like that. It is as basic as it gets. You sell alcohol to people outdoors for hours in the sun YOU have the responsibility to assess risk. 

When Massive Attack played in Queens square the statues were boarded off and stewards placed in the vicinity. That is not football

Like I said...sad state of affairs, where you need 'Authority' to think ahead, because certain people can't control themselves.

Just wish everyone could be civilised.

24 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

It was those who are now middle aged! 

Those of us who are OLD, stood side by side with opposing supporters exchanging nothing but banter. And queued in the local newsagents for the Green Un without any bad behaviour at all. 

Okay fair enough, point was that it's not something that is only typical of the youth of today, it's not a new thing whatsoever. 

3 hours ago, nebristolred said:

Exactly, this isn't a generation thing. I don't want a whole millenials v old folk argument ;), but let's face it, it was the older generations who were beating the **** out of each other in the 80's, and getting us banned from European competition. Fact is, there are knobheads in all age groups.

It's 100% a lad culture issue but this is not a new phenomenon. 

It is compared to The Fifties when I and other fans were young

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

On twitter there's a trend this tournament to film the craziest goal celebrations.. usually involving beer throwing, limbs and general destruction. That'll explain the bean bag thing.

I think this statue thing is pretty straightforward really.. just the result of people drinking. Would've happened with any post-war generation since football has been a spectator sport. Alcohol + sun + England winning does things to people!

Sadly, the beer throwing craze seemed to start from Ashton Gate. The video of the game against Wales was the first of the bunch, now it just seems rather predictable. 

40 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Sadly, the beer throwing craze seemed to start from Ashton Gate. The video of the game against Wales was the first of the bunch, now it just seems rather predictable. 

I've had beer thrown over me up at the races, not a new thing at all. I'm sure it's been going on all over the world for years, not a new craze 

11 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I've had beer thrown over me up at the races, not a new thing at all. I'm sure it's been going on all over the world for years, not a new craze 

I don't think it's a new craze, but what seems to be is getting the footage of these celebrations online and sharing with their mates saying I was there, look at Jack going mental blah blah, 'utter scenes' etc.. Like some sort of competition to be at the 'craziest' place and look at me I was there innit. 

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Maybe the answer to the beer throwing stupidity would be to serve drinks in proper glasses.

Sure they number of people who can't possibly refrain from acting the fool will drop.

Granted, there may be one or two flaws in my plan, but I reckon it's worth a try.

Not so sure, Can see innocent people getting hurt by flying / broken glass. 

16 minutes ago, chowie said:

I don't think it's a new craze, but what seems to be is getting the footage of these celebrations online and sharing with their mates saying I was there, look at Jack going mental blah blah, 'utter scenes' etc.. Like some sort of competition to be at the 'craziest' place and look at me I was there innit. 

This guy has hit the nail on the head. It's all about social media for people these days, who was most soaked in beer, who was in the most crazy crowd etc. Quite sad really.

28 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Maybe the answer to the beer throwing stupidity would be to serve drinks in proper glasses.

Sure they number of people who can't possibly refrain from acting the fool will drop.

Granted, there may be one or two flaws in my plan, but I reckon it's worth a try.

Or , and this won't be popular, put the price of drinks up so only rich cretins will waste it .

:yes:

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

On twitter there's a trend this tournament to film the craziest goal celebrations.. usually involving beer throwing, limbs and general destruction. That'll explain the bean bag thing.

I think this statue thing is pretty straightforward really.. just the result of people drinking. Would've happened with any post-war generation since football has been a spectator sport. Alcohol + sun + England winning does things to people!

Unfortunately, England losing invariably does a lot worse.

Does anybody recall when England lost to Germany on penalties back in 1996?

There were numerous accounts of German cars being vandalised by 'supporters' coming home after watching the match in the pub: not actually German registered cars, mind you, just German cars; BMWs, Mercedes, Audi, VW and the like - the same mentality as those who vandalised the house of the local paediatrician in revenge for his suspected child abuse!   

28 minutes ago, Super said:

Not so sure, Can see innocent people getting hurt by flying / broken glass. 

Might be me, but I think you have just been whooshed :laughcont:

Seriously, there seems to be a hell of a lot of cans being thrown. As far as I’m aware the club doesn’t sell cans, so I guess fans must be allowed to bring their own in? If so that surprises me, you can’t at football because a)they want to sell drink to you and b) the safety aspect. And if cans are allowed in are glass bottles too? Is there stewarding, or is it just a free for all. I’m sure many people haven’t gone there as they don’t want to pay £4.50 a pint or whatever it is, but if it’s a free for all bring your own with no stewarding I can see loads going down for the next game. 

1 minute ago, RedM said:

Might be me, but I think you have just been whooshed :laughcont:

Seriously, there seems to be a hell of a lot of cans being thrown. As far as I’m aware the club doesn’t sell cans, so I guess fans must be allowed to bring their own in? If so that surprises me, you can’t at football because a)they want to sell it to you and b) the safety aspect. And if cans are allowed in are glass bottles too? Is there stewarding, or is it just a free for all. I’m sure many people haven’t gone there as they don’t want to pay £4.50 a pint or whatever it is, but if it’s a free for all bring your own with no stewarding I can see loads going down for the next game. 

Could it be the external vendors that were selling cans?

Just now, nebristolred said:

They were stopping people bringing in their own drinks, but I'm sure plenty were brought in on the sly.

They? So there was stewarding of some sort? A few cans are fairly bulky, not like anyone is wearing coats this time of year so should be easy to spot. We have bag searches at football and can’t bring in drink. I wasn’t there, just curious to know what the policy is, whether byo was encouraged or not. But if they aren’t stopping it it’s no wonder cans are being thrown.

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yeah it's been going on for years and years. Gigs, festivals etc are another example where it happens - seemed to happen every time I ever saw Oasis for example. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't always just beer either!!  :drunk2:

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

They? So there was stewarding of some sort? A few cans are fairly bulky, not like anyone is wearing coats this time of year so should be easy to spot. We have bag searches at football and can’t bring in drink. I wasn’t there, just curious to know what the policy is, whether byo was encouraged or not. But if they aren’t stopping it it’s no wonder cans are being thrown.

B&M probably sell a lot of cans during these games.......at £1 per can too.

4 pints of thatchers please. That’s 18 pound thank you. How much he says

Gives them to his mates . England score and they throw it all up in the air . 

Madness. 

Also on a side note . The club advertised friendly family day out . Was thinking about taking the boy down there Thursday. Don’t think I will bother now . Just imagine one of those cans hitting your child. 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Like I said...sad state of affairs, where you need 'Authority' to think ahead, because certain people can't control themselves.

Just wish everyone could be civilised.

Not particularly sad if you look at in in context. Easily manageable and predictable alcohol fuelled exuberance. Something that knows no generational and cultural boundary. Tame compared to a eighties punk or thrash  metal gig. Very tame.

7 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

B&M probably sell a lot of cans during these games.......at £1 per can too.

Exactly. 4 cans for the cost of less than one pint from the club, just really surprised people are getting in with them. Ok heavy handed stewarding/policing shouldn’t be needed in events like this, but there is a fine line before it gets out of hand and the more people drink the more that is likely to happen.

I heard this morning that many cars had been leafleted with Don’t drink and drive flyers too.

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

Not particularly sad if you look at in in context. Easily manageable and predictable alcohol fuelled exuberance. Something that knows no generational and cultural boundary. Tame compared to a eighties punk or thrash  metal gig. Very tame.

But this is being billed as a family friendly place to watch the football, can’t see many parents taking their kids into a thrash gig. You aren’t talking about the same circumstances are you.

Archived