IGNORED

Wilbs

Gillies Downs Leeds

Love that man.

20 goals in a title winning season, role model professional and all round good bloke.

Doesn’t need to do anything to be any more of a City legend, but a goal against the blue few would be splendid.

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Love that man.

20 goals in a title winning season, role model professional and all round good bloke.

Doesn’t need to do anything to be any more of a City legend, but a goal against the blue few would be splendid.

Wilbs hattrick to relegate Rovers :thumbsup:

Edit - Just looked it up, 44th game of the season, its on!

Christ, the meltdown on here when we signed an over the hill, journeyman of a has been striker that hadn’t hit double figures in goals in a season in his whole career and had hardly played a full 90 mins in years!

I was bloody livid that was the standard we were aiming for. How very very wrong I was!

If we could find another Wilbs only 15 years younger...

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Christ, the meltdown on here when we signed an over the hill, journeyman of a has been striker that hadn’t hit double figures in goals in a season in his whole career and had hardly played a full 90 mins in years!

I was bloody livid that was the standard we were aiming for. How very very wrong I was!

If we could find another Wilbs only 15 years younger...

And yet people are still as quick as ever to judge signings now....

8 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Top bloke is Wilbs. Wonder if there might be a spot for him if he wants to do coaching somewhere at the club.

Its what we offered before wasn't it? I expect if we have the same set up when he decides to hang up the boots something could be offered. 

5 minutes ago, hodge said:

Its what we offered before wasn't it? I expect if we have the same set up when he decides to hang up the boots something could be offered. 

That's what I was getting at. Consummate pro, experienced, used all the talent he had, held in high regard here. Wouldn't surprise me come the time he packs it in.

1 minute ago, ZiderEyed said:

That's what I was getting at. Consummate pro, experienced, used all the talent he had, held in high regard here. Wouldn't surprise me come the time he packs it in.

Would make an ideal coach for U16's/U18's imo, that's the age where you want the professionalism to really be instilled in players as things in football start to get real with aspirations of being a pro.

7 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Would be surprised, geographically  I would suspect he would want to stay up north and would think a northern team will take him on 

For me, it wasn't just his ability on the pitch that made Wilbrahimovic such a great player for City. It was having an older player with a good head on his shoulders, who was happy to play in a lower division, and was happy to help out his fellow players. I genuinely believe that Tammy wouldn't have had his breakout season if Wilbs wasn't there to ease him in and get him settled.

It's why I wish we'd sign more older players. We might be lucky with them having a huge contribution on the pitch, but a seasoned player that comes on 20-30 minutes a game could still do wonders for morale.

Brilliant all round professional. My daughter had a parade around the pitch and met Wilbs.He

then he made sure, at his suggestion, that the group of children had pictures taken looking at all the different parents cameras. Little things but summed the bloke up in my opinion. 

27 minutes ago, alandicks said:

Brilliant all round professional. My daughter had a parade around the pitch and met Wilbs.He

then he made sure, at his suggestion, that the group of children had pictures taken looking at all the different parents cameras. Little things but summed the bloke up in my opinion. 

As with all true pro's in all 'walks of life,its the 'attention to detail....

12 hours ago, hodge said:

And yet people are still as quick as ever to judge signings now....

How long did it take Wilbs to start delivering the goods, and what signings are you referring to.

Genuine questions because I seem to recall there were some questions but he hit the ground sprinting so turned everyone around.

As for more recent signings I don't recall such instant success - Tammy excluded of course.

25 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

How long did it take Wilbs to start delivering the goods, and what signings are you referring to.

Genuine questions because I seem to recall there were some questions but he hit the ground sprinting so turned everyone around.

As for more recent signings I don't recall such instant success - Tammy excluded of course.

The point was nearly everyones initial reaction to Wilbraham was largely negative when he signed, but you've pointed out he hit the ground running so that opinion changed. In the time since Wilbs signed there's still often a lot of negative reactions when we sign someone rather than waiting and seeing how they start, Watkins for example doesn't seem to have had the warmest welcome, people drawing on his history with LJ, former Barnsley, goalscoring record, how he did at Norwich etc, pre-conceived opinions already drawing negative pressure on him to hit the ground running. The price tag on Diedhiou drew some as well. Walsh, people were critical of him in January given our situation at the time, if he'd been a summer signing people would probably have been a lot more forgiving of him coming in. 

3 hours ago, hodge said:

The point was nearly everyones initial reaction to Wilbraham was largely negative when he signed, but you've pointed out he hit the ground running so that opinion changed. In the time since Wilbs signed there's still often a lot of negative reactions when we sign someone rather than waiting and seeing how they start, Watkins for example doesn't seem to have had the warmest welcome, people drawing on his history with LJ, former Barnsley, goalscoring record, how he did at Norwich etc, pre-conceived opinions already drawing negative pressure on him to hit the ground running. The price tag on Diedhiou drew some as well. Walsh, people were critical of him in January given our situation at the time, if he'd been a summer signing people would probably have been a lot more forgiving of him coming in. 

I'd have been more excited about the Watkins transfer if LJ hadn't made such a mess of his recent signings. 

17 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Wilbs carrying on playing for another season. Signed for Rochdale.

Fair play to the bloke. I’ve far more time for a Wilbraham than a lot of World Cup players who are spoilt, cheating, diving prima donnas dropping to the deck like they’ve been shot. It’s been excessive and the only way to stamp it out is to book the player. For me it’s been the only sour point on what’s been a very good World Cup.

19 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I'd have been more excited about the Watkins transfer if LJ hadn't made such a mess of his recent signings. 

1 bad window with the odd other poor signing, but it makes the point though, criticisms of players brought in before seeing them on the pitch in a City shirt.

You`ve got to love his reaction the next day after he came on for Bolton at AG last season. Getting Flint to tweet his thanks to us and the way it was obviously so genuine sums the bloke up for me.

It still makes me chuckle remembering him getting booked that night and the whole ground booing the ref!

26 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

You`ve got to love his reaction the next day after he came on for Bolton at AG last season. Getting Flint to tweet his thanks to us and the way it was obviously so genuine sums the bloke up for me.

It still makes me chuckle remembering him getting booked that night and the whole ground booing the ref!

:clap:

DA8A05D6-FDFE-46A6-8E52-52B8B0295019.jpeg

21 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Love that man.

Interesting use of the word legend!!!

16 hours ago, shelts said:

Interesting use of the word legend!!!

I think he's a modern day Bristol City legend. Top scorer in the double season, an inspirational and motivational club captain and even at the very end would still come on and shore the team up. Trusted by Cotts and LJ to bed new players in and help the kids. A wily pro who won far many more balls in the air than you would think for a man his age. Epitomized the revival of the club at a time where we looked rudderless. The only bad thing about him was that he was not younger.

What other criteria would he need to meet? What other players in the last few years would even match that?

3 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

I think he's a modern day Bristol City legend. Top scorer in the double season, an inspirational and motivational club captain and even at the very end would still come on and shore the team up. Trusted by Cotts and LJ to bed new players in and help the kids. A wily pro who won far many more balls in the air than you would think for a man his age. Epitomized the revival of the club at a time where we looked rudderless. The only bad thing about him was that he was not younger.

What other criteria would he need to meet? What other players in the last few years would even match that?

We all need heroes and he’s one of yours!!

Archived