IGNORED

Villa owe us money for JK?

Bristol Rob

46 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not uncommon for amortisation to spread payment over the length of the contract- if we've managed to get it up front we have done well, and MA would deserve credit!

Bottled it at Wembley? Given Fulham are the better side, would say it went roughly as expected tbh- though failing vs 10 a big fail on their part.

Indeed, however I think that the issue here is that Villa are missing the amortised payments, as opposed to people having a problem with the method itself. 

5 minutes ago, lenred said:

Indeed, however I think that the issue here is that Villa are missing the amortised payments, as opposed to people having a problem with the method itself. 

Think we're a bit cross purposes maybe.

Agreed- we all get the methods and agreed the issues is that Villa are missing the amortised payments. However for me the question is, did we get the fee (excluding possible add ons) in one chunk or was it amortised? If it was the former then well done Mark Ashton, if the latter then we'll be a bit stymied financially...

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think we're a bit cross purposes maybe.

Agreed- we all get the methods and agreed the issues is that Villa are missing the amortised payments. However for me the question is, did we get the fee (excluding possible add ons) in one chunk or was it amortised? If it was the former then well done Mark Ashton, if the latter then we'll be a bit stymied financially...

I’m guessing if it’s being leaked that Villa have missed payments that we didn’t get the fee in one chunk up front? Apologies if I’m missing something obvious here, not unknown! 

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

I’m guessing if it’s being leaked that Villa have missed payments that we didn’t get the fee in one chunk up front? Apologies if I’m missing something obvious here, not unknown! 

Well let's hope our transfer was different to the ones like Hogan, McCormack and Chester which they still owe cash to Brentford, Fulham and West Brom on...based on the thread I'd say it's not conclusive either way yet.

Stating the obvious perhaps, but best case scenario we received the £11m up front, worst case we're still owed £2.75m this summer and £2.75m next- which would blow a bit of a hole in our finances, medium term.

For what it is worth, my take on this is as follows:

1. The original article was in The Times and dated 7 June 2018, i.e. almost three weeks ago, and was/is not a Bristol Live exclusive!

2. The article stated that Villa have missed (or are likely to miss) some amortised payments to, inter alia, Fulham, WBA and Brentford - there was no mention of any (amortised) payments being due to City.

3. My recollection was that City didn't want to sell to a club in the same division, but the offer (according to MA at the time being £11 million up front plus add-ons) was so good that they just couldn't refuse - a further, minor detail, I seem to recall, was that, once he became aware of their interest, Kodjia refused to play, but, as i say, that was a minor detail :shifty:

4. The only outstanding payments related to add-ons (goals scored, promotion?), and I also seem to recall that some, if not all, of these were written off or discounted in to the fee for Nathan Baker.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for Kodjia and would not want to see him back at AG, you have to live by your decisions/greed in life and the way he went about manufacturing his 'dream move' was just plain disrespectful.

Albert on the other hand is another story.

As a footnote unless they secure some investment and soon they will have created themselves a buyers market and will end up taking what they can get, again no sympathy from me for the club or it's supporters.

As a further footnote knowing how understanding modern footballers are I am sure that this debacle will spawn Villa's version of the Ashton Gate 8!

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I have no sympathy whatsoever for Kodjia and would not want to see him back at AG, you have to live by your decisions/greed in life and the way he went about manufacturing his 'dream move' was just plain disrespectful.

Kodjia got what he wanted, a big pay rise at a bigger club. Wouldn't be surprised to see him move to China or the Middle East eventually, it's pretty clear all he cares about is his earnings. Nothing wrong with that as such, and besides he's from a humble background and seems to have quite a large extended family he looks after.

It was unfortunate how he chose to try and engineer his move, but we don't know how he was being advised. Possibly his agency suggested that sort of behaviour.. and eventually he got what he wanted.

Great player though and really enjoyed watching him.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Kodjia got what he wanted, a big pay rise at a bigger club. Wouldn't be surprised to see him move to China or the Middle East eventually, it's pretty clear all he cares about is his earnings. Nothing wrong with that as such, and besides he's from a humble background and seems to have quite a large extended family he looks after.

It was unfortunate how he chose to try and engineer his move, but we don't know how he was being advised. Possibly his agency suggested that sort of behaviour.. and eventually he got what he wanted.

Great player though and really enjoyed watching him.

Absolutely nothing wrong with it all, but as I said you live and die by your decisions.

Interesting your sentence about advice, I would say that he needs a new agent, seems like most agents only keen to get his massive cut whilst not carrying full diligence for his client, I cannot believe for the life of me that somewhere someone could not have pointed out the high risk strategy that Villa were following?, in football these days information like that is usually out there to those in the know.

Anyone else learned a 'new word' today?

Amortised ? 

(ffs,  I thought that was French for something to do with 'lurve', mon cheri or something.)

So what happened to good old fashioned plain Hire Purchase (H.P) ?  .. where the goods aint yours til the final payment (inc interest) is made (or they get repossessed ? )

'amortise' my arse! 

27 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Amortised ? 

(ffs,  I thought that was French for something to do with 'lurve', mon cheri or something.)

So what happened to good old fashioned plain Hire Purchase (H.P) ?  .. where the goods aint yours til the final payment (inc interest) is made (or they get repossessed ? )

'amortise' my arse! 

Use of that approach has depreciated over time.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with it all, but as I said you live and die by your decisions.

Interesting your sentence about advice, I would say that he needs a new agent, seems like most agents only keen to get his massive cut whilst not carrying full diligence for his client, I cannot believe for the life of me that somewhere someone could not have pointed out the high risk strategy that Villa were following?, in football these days information like that is usually out there to those in the know.

Stick with the agent I would say.

Imagine getting the signing on bonus upfront, paid regularly for 2 years ish then it starts hitting the fan: you're either going to be sold on the cheap (and another signing fee uplift to negotiate in light of cheaper fee) or you're going to have a couple of missed payments (as a secured creditor), leave the club for breach of contract, sign elsewhere on a free and get a huge signing on bonus. 

If money is what you're after, Villa would be exactly the club to advise signing for 2 years ago imo. 

39 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Amortised ? 

'amortise' my arse! 

It's part of this. EBITDA - Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization ....... Something I have always considered odd,  "This is the profit we made before we had to pay for anything"    ;)

3 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Well one thing for sure. Villa are in deep shit . Seems there is a lot of people queuing up for their money. Or lack of. I have no idea about our transfer dealings. But I’m pretty sure Angers has a sell on clause. And don’t give a shit about villas situation. It’s definitely a knock on affect. But I doubt it will affect our summer recruitment. Pay up Villa . Remember some of there arrogant fans last year. Football has a funny way of biting you on the ass

If you thought Villa's fans were being cocky that's nothing compared to the "famous club" with the latest "Portuguese" influx of talent all willing to exchange top flight and European football for the costa del trent all courtesy of a mysterious agent.

When they get going you'll understand the definition of the word "cocky" 

16 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It's part of this. EBITDA - Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization ....... Something I have always considered odd,  "This is the profit we made before we had to pay for anything"    ;)

Think it was being used in a different context here wheres it is just a term for repayment of a loan, including interest, over a fixed and (importantly here) agreed period of time with no other payment due at any other time - unlike some other types of loan.

EBITDA is supposed to measure a companies performance before any finance gets involved and is used as an industry comparison for example and amortisation within EBITDA is used as a measure of depreciation of an intangible asset.  

FUN! :blink:

Think it was being used in a different context here wheres it is just a term for repayment of a loan, including interest, over a fixed and (importantly here) agreed period of time with no other payment due at any other time - unlike some other types of loan.

EBITDA is supposed to measure a companies performance before any finance gets involved and is used as an industry comparison for example and amortisation within EBITDA is used as a measure of depreciation of an intangible asset.  

FUN! :blink:

It's all there in, I believe, FRS102 and FRS105 if you really want to have a look at the detail. Or you just have trouble sleeping.

8 minutes ago, Swede said:

If you thought Villa's fans were being cocky that's nothing compared to the "famous club" with the latest "Portuguese" influx of talent all willing to exchange top flight and European football for the costa del trent all courtesy of a mysterious agent.

When they get going you'll understand the definition of the word "cocky" 

And if it all goes wrong, they'll understand the definition of bankruptcy and 10-point deduction.

TBH first game is probably best time to play them, before this influx of talent has time to bed in and get used to playing together.

2 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

It's all there in, I believe, FRS102 and FRS105 if you really want to have a look at the detail. Or you just have trouble sleeping.

I’ll stick with my potted knowledge for now but will bear it in mind if insomnia ever does strike!

4 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Well one thing for sure. Villa are in deep shit . Seems there is a lot of people queuing up for their money. Or lack of. I have no idea about our transfer dealings. But I’m pretty sure Angers has a sell on clause. And don’t give a shit about villas situation. It’s definitely a knock on affect. But I doubt it will affect our summer recruitment. Pay up Villa . Remember some of there arrogant fans last year. Football has a funny way of biting you on the ass

Remember when we were thrashed at Villa and LJ was quoted as saying ‘let’s see where we both are at the end of the season’. Perhaps he wasn’t talking about league position!

Can't stand Villa, purely because of their fans. Obnoxious lot. I remember having a look on Villa Talk around the time they sold Benteke to Liverpool and they were all fuming because it wasn't a step up..... 

I'm always happy when a club that is content in just surviving in the Premier League year on year gets relegated. I hope they have a couple of years struggling at the bottom of the Championship. 

15 minutes ago, foghornred said:

They owe loads to players and clubs I think that they could be under a transfer embargo by the time the season starts. 

Could get worse before it gets better.

They won't be short of people wanting to invest, but if the cash situation is that bad, you will get a much better price buying from the administrator than you will the owner.

Not good news for creditors, but a very real reality.

Minus 10 point vs an extra £100 mil in debt and liabilities? They won't be relegation threatened.

Archived