IGNORED

Pivotal moment for the club

YorksRed

I don’t think that the sale of the core of the team comes as a surprise to many.  It was pretty clear that if we didn’t achieve promotion this would happen, which makes the perceived lack of ambition in the January transfer window all the more perplexing.  Will we get a chance like that again?

The club is now at its biggest turning point for years.  If the money coming in is invested wisely and means that the squad overall is improved and we move up a notch then the sale of Flint and Reid (and no doubt Joe) can be seen as brilliant incremental management and the start of our path to become a club in the mould of Burnley or Bournemouth.

My concern is that, similar to what happened after the play-off final, we will have not realised that we had already reached our peak and that the decline had already set in.

Massive pressure on LJ and Ashton now to prove that they can actually deliver with money to spend and with their own team on the pitch.   If they kick on from here then they deserve all our praise, but I’m worried.

Like the play-off final we will all be looking back on this time in years to come and saying - that’s when it all changed.  

Whether that’s for the better or the worse I have no idea!

It certainly does feel like a pivotal summer with the seemingly likely departures of many of the core of our starting 11. The big question is whether our recruitment is good enough to replace these players withave quality. Fingers crossed.

• Admin
29 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'm not even slightly worried. If we are in for the likes of Webster, that scunny winger and Albert, then we are replacing quality with quality.

all nothing more than rumours though - not really anything to base on at present

33 minutes ago, YorksRed said:

I don’t think that the sale of the core of the team comes as a surprise to many.  It was pretty clear that if we didn’t achieve promotion this would happen, which makes the perceived lack of ambition in the January transfer window all the more perplexing.  Will we get a chance like that again?

Just like when we lost to Hull, we had the oppotunity to push on and didn't

We didn't learn from that then, and certainly didn't last season 

35 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'm not even slightly worried. If we are in for the likes of Webster, that scunny winger and Albert, then we are replacing quality with quality.

See I'd agree if we were signing the likes of Webster, Albert etc but we've been linked with quality so many times but it's never amounted to anything. 

I'll wait and see where we are with a week or two left before the season starts but if we do lose Bryan, Reid and Flint then we certainly do have a much weaker starting 11 and will need at least two quality signings who can hit the floor running, not "ones for the future". We do need to keep our ones for the future coming in but not at the expense of not replacing core, and key players.

53 minutes ago, Offside said:

It certainly does feel like a pivotal summer with the seemingly likely departures of many of the core of our starting 11. The big question is whether our recruitment is good enough to replace these players withave quality. Fingers crossed.

It's the million dollar question, and will keep us all on tenterhooks until the transfer window closes.

TBH, I just don't know what to think any more... 

• Admin
1 hour ago, foghornred said:

Selling the crown jewels Flint & Read that's 28 goals lost so unless we get Tammy back we will be in a relegation dog fight. 

Our form for the second half of last season was worse than relegation form and that was WITH those players - God help us without them !

To be honest, I'm sort of relieved by what's happened over the last 24 hours. We knew there was a good chance Reid and Flint were going and my concern was that things would drag on and then they would leave at the last minute.

£17 million for the pair is not bad business. I absolutely agree with the OP that it is pivotal we get it right but, if players are going to go, I'd rather they went when we have time to replace them...

• Admin
27 minutes ago, RaspberryRed said:

The pivotal moment was January's transfer window! If we had handled that better we probably wouldn't be talking about any of these players leaving.

.. and looking forward to trips to Old Trafford et al

Archived