IGNORED

Goodbye and Good luck - Aden Flint gone, official (Merged)

Davefevs

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Amazing how people are saying Evans isnt that good. Been fantastic for them WBA for ages now and last season, which was atrocious for the club, he was easily their best player.  

I do rate Evans but where on earth have you got that from? Evans was as bad as everyone else at WBA last season, in fact when they won 4 games in a row under Moore at the end of the season the centre half pairing was Hegazi and Dawson.

17 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

I do rate Evans but where on earth have you got that from? Evans was as bad as everyone else at WBA last season, in fact when they won 4 games in a row under Moore at the end of the season the centre half pairing was Hegazi and Dawson.

True, the West Brom fans were pretty damning about his performances / attitude last season.

On 11/06/2018 at 12:24, BS4 on Tour... said:

Bugs me when players contribute to a relegation campaign then say ‘I’m too good for the championship’ and sign for another prem club....I know it’s all part of modern football but where’s the pride and determination to put it right by sticking with the club you helped relegate?! 

Won't have to move the 'family lock stock & barrel,will likely get a bit more lolly plus stays in the Premier league..

A no brainer for him.

3 hours ago, 123red1 said:

Which is why he is going nowhere !

Aden is not proven in the Premier League and he isn't going to improve at his age. The reality is CLUBS DO NOT REALLY WANT HIM, If the price is right they will buy him as he is solid at this level and could be good cover in the premier league, but there is no chance he is going to be bought for 10m. There is 0 sell on value. You don't pay 10m for a player who is 29 and you'll recoup nothing from him. 

£5m for a 29yo central defender who is solid at this level is still a great price. Sadly it's the fans delusion that they think he is worth so much, the reality is, he is not worth 10m, now he may be worth 10m to the board, as they dont want to sell him as they want to keep him and he is under contract, but no one is gonna empty big money on buying a player like Flint.

No sell on value means nothing to other clubs. It is not a practice all clubs use. The value comes from promotion to the premier league or staying in it. Flint could help for either of those causes. His value probably is in the 5-6m range but good for us trying to get 8-10m. He is one of the few key players we have on a favourable contract. We either get excellent money for him or he stays. Win win for Bristol City

3 hours ago, BessexRED said:

Moore got them organised.  A centre backs job is a lot easier if he is playing in a team that is organised.  Look at Michael Keane....great at Burnley but then massively exposed at Everton. 

5 hours ago, Leveller said:

West Ham fan sites suggest they made an enquiry but were put off by a high asking price of £9M.

I don’t think we’d come much further down from that either. It feels more and more likely Flint will be going and Bobby and Bryan will be the only key players to leave. 

On 12/06/2018 at 07:43, Major Isewater said:

The herd are following the old " ex-Utd player must be rubbish " cliche .

No one said he was rubbish. I just said that I don’t think he’s ‘that’ good and agreed with another comment saying ‘over rated’. 

This essentially means that lots seem to think he’s a definite top 6 player and I think that’s over hyping him as, whilst good, I don’t think he’s top 6.

Seemingly this is now borne out, as for £3.5m, any of the top 6 could’ve snapped him up, but he ended up at a club that finished 12th and 9th in the last 2 seasons, having spent the last 3 seasons at a club finishing 10th, 14th & 20th. Even his last couple of seasons at Man U saw them 4th & 7th!! Man U mind, 4th & 7th!! 

So. No one said he’s rubbish. Just overrated. He’s basically not a player who would be classed good enough for a top 6 club. 

6 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don’t think we’d come much further down from that either. It feels more and more likely Flint will be going and Bobby and Bryan will be the only key players to leave. 

If we are setting too high a price then he stays. More than happy with that. If we get a taker at £8-9m then that is excellent business.

Just glad to hear we won't let him go for the sort of fee that won't fund a suitable replacement.

21 minutes ago, Harry said:

No one said he was rubbish. I just said that I don’t think he’s ‘that’ good and agreed with another comment saying ‘over rated’. 

This essentially means that lots seem to think he’s a definite top 6 player and I think that’s over hyping him as, whilst good, I don’t think he’s top 6.

Seemingly this is now borne out, as for £3.5m, any of the top 6 could’ve snapped him up, but he ended up at a club that finished 12th and 9th in the last 2 seasons, having spent the last 3 seasons at a club finishing 10th, 14th & 20th. Even his last couple of seasons at Man U saw them 4th & 7th!! Man U mind, 4th & 7th!! 

So. No one said he’s rubbish. Just overrated. He’s basically not a player who would be classed good enough for a top 6 club. 

The reason the 'big' clubs were interested in Evans is because he'd be low cost for an experienced player and count towards a home grown quota for European competition. He's also quite a good player. We can talk him down all we like, but the fact is that he's won Premier League titles and the Champions League. I'm not saying he's a world beater, but in the current market £3.5million is staggeringly good value for a player of his quality and experience

35 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Flint is never worth 9 million

It doesn`t matter what he`s worth, if that`s what we want for him he isn`t going anywhere for less.

My take on it is, if we`re quoting figures like £9m, we don`t want him to go and if he does for that money it`s a brilliant bit of business.

53 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

The reason the 'big' clubs were interested in Evans is because he'd be low cost for an experienced player and count towards a home grown quota for European competition. He's also quite a good player. We can talk him down all we like, but the fact is that he's won Premier League titles and the Champions League. I'm not saying he's a world beater, but in the current market £3.5million is staggeringly good value for a player of his quality and experience

Again, didn’t say he wasn’t a good, experienced player. But he’s not top 6 bracket which a lot were talking him up to be. 

Although I would question your champions league winner comment. The year Man U won it, he played once. So whilst this is on his cv, I wouldn’t say it’s part of his aura. 

On 12/06/2018 at 14:00, RedDave said:

Moore got them organised.  A centre backs job is a lot easier if he is playing in a team that is organised.  Look at Michael Keane....great at Burnley but then massively exposed at Everton. 

But Sam got the defence very organised at Everton as his immediate priority....when he took over at Goodison they went on a seven match unbeaten run which included five clean sheets, so not sure how Keane was massively exposed at Everton....

2 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

If we are setting too high a price then he stays. More than happy with that. If we get a taker at £8-9m then that is excellent business.

Just glad to hear we won't let him go for the sort of fee that won't fund a suitable replacement.

I can’t see less than 7m myself with the new improved contract. Expect Flint is now content with his new money too. Unless there is a release clause I think he will stay. I am ok with either scenario tbh. This is the reason we need to try and tie down O’Dowda, Pato, Smith and Pack now if we can. It is things like this that need to be taken into account when we talk about incomings and offering players like Bobby Reid big money. You have to weigh it all up. GONs wages may he used to give pay rises to the 4 mentioned meaning we can’t add. 

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

But Sam got the defence very organised at Everton as his immediate priority....when he took over at Goodison they went on a seven match unbeaten run which included five clean sheets, so not sure how Keane was massively exposed at Everton....

Before Sam got there mostly. Keane was horrific.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

5 million Boro are rumoured to be bidding. That's a bit of a pathetic amount.

if we turned down 10 million last season why do they think we'll accept 5 million a year on after he signed an improved contract..........

17 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

if we turned down 10 million last season why do they think we'll accept 5 million a year on after he signed an improved contract..........

Where has it been reported and confirmed by the club we turned down 10 million for him ? I thought we turned down 4m for him and Bryan to Birmingham then 3m for him to Birmingham. If anyone bid 10m for him he would have been sold in an instant. £5m is a good fee for him. 

18 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Pulis logic

1 minute ago, 123red1 said:

It's what he's worth.

Not if we turn the bid down

Just now, Woodsy said:

Pulis logic

Not if we turn the bid down

Might not be what the club think he's worth, but it is about what he was worth.

If we went out and bought a 29yo who has never played in the top flight, for £5m+, there would be outrage on here. 

2 minutes ago, 123red1 said:

Might not be what the club think he's worth, but it is about what he was worth.

If we went out and bought a 29yo who has never played in the top flight, for £5m+, there would be outrage on here. 

Not disagreeing, but for £5m Flint is going nowhere, unless he has something rather odd written into his contract or chucks his toys out of his pram
FWIW - I suspect it would prove to be a great move for him, but £5m, not having that

Last season I think it was Flint’s  Agent, then perhaps the club after realising they did have value in him if they sold. The value wasn't realised though and possibly when we looked at the cost of getting a readymade replacement for him it wasn’t worth selling the player. He was happy and didn’t want the move, perhaps he was convinced Bristol City were going to be successful.

Roll on a year. Players like Bobby and Joe are the ones attracting interest now. Hordur has just left, although it must have been widely known for a long time, but that’s another team mate gone. The club certainly didn’t push the boat out in January, they showed their intent in a negative way. I think if ANY. Premiership club came in for Flint he would be foolish not to go. I don’t think he will get too many offers so can’t afford to be fussy, and who knows when we will get a chance again.

Hordur wanted games and had ambition, and has gone. Flint has games and with his mentality I don’t think he lacks ambition, it’s whether he still buys into the project or not, would you, honestly?

Edited  by RedM

1 minute ago, Woodsy said:

Not disagreeing, but for £5m Flint is going nowhere, unless he has something rather odd written into his contract or chucks his toys out of his pram
FWIW - I suspect it would prove to be a great move for him, but £5m, not having that

I don't think the club will accept 5m either, which is why I expect him to still be here in September. I think he is over valued by our club, which if we are a business and want to profit on players we run the risk of never making a profit on flint. There is no point in a add on which involves a sell on fee, as in a years time hes 30 and his value will gradually come down. A promotion clause might be worth adding, but I reckon £6m and 500K if Boro go up and the club would be foolish to turn it down. Despite what any fans think, at 29, uncapped and never played in the top flight, he isn't worth anything near 10m and no one will pay that sort of money. This is about as good an offer he will attract. You could easily replace him for £5m with a younger model. If I was the club I would try and get a tad more if I could, but I would be willing to take 5m. 

4 minutes ago, 123red1 said:

I don't think the club will accept 5m either, which is why I expect him to still be here in September. I think he is over valued by our club, which if we are a business and want to profit on players we run the risk of never making a profit on flint. There is no point in a add on which involves a sell on fee, as in a years time hes 30 and his value will gradually come down. A promotion clause might be worth adding, but I reckon £6m and 500K if Boro go up and the club would be foolish to turn it down. Despite what any fans think, at 29, uncapped and never played in the top flight, he isn't worth anything near 10m and no one will pay that sort of money. This is about as good an offer he will attract. You could easily replace him for £5m with a younger model. If I was the club I would try and get a tad more if I could, but I would be willing to take 5m. 

I suspect any 'over-valuing' on our part is to do with the behind the scenes stuff as well. It's clear to see he's a leader and popular with his team mates, what price is that? 

£8m would be my cut off, again if he wants to go. If he doesn't then I'd keep him and screw the sell on. From the first season, where people were celebrating his fractured knee cap at Port Vale, to where he is today is a hell of a turn around. He seems to be settled enough, as far as we know, he didn't chuck his toys out last summer when Birmingham came calling, although he did miss a couple of games. Boro, I would think, are far more appealing and would probably pay more than Brum. I can see why this might tickle his fancy a little more

I love the bloke, but he is far from irreplaceable from our point of view 

I've no doubt that Flint will have a buy out clause in his new contract.

It'll be interesting to know if his agents will make that common knowledge around his possible suitors.

£5m is what we turned down from Birmingham last summer, so my guess is that the buy out figure won't be much more than that; possibly 7-8m.

Archived