IGNORED

Goodbye and Good luck - Aden Flint gone, official (Merged)

Davefevs

5m is too low but it is about the market value for him I’d say. That said I imagine we are looking for more in the 7-8m range atleast. I also think that is fine. We either keep him or get daft money for him. 

I am all for clubs thinking we over value him but does seem to be a leader. Take that and add it to his goals and his good defensive play then we can ask what we want with his contract. Boro have parachute payments. Doesn’t mean they have to spend big but clubs are going to try and milk the fee they receive and good on anyone that does. Everyone looking for their portion of the pie

8 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

I've no doubt that Flint will have a buy out clause in his new contract.

It'll be interesting to know if his agents will make that common knowledge around his possible suitors.

£5m is what we turned down from Birmingham last summer, so my guess is that the buy out figure won't be much more than that; possibly 7-8m.

The Birmingham offer was for Flint and Bryan, when we rejected it they came back with 3m for Flint. Had they offered 5m for Flint, he would have been sold.

21 minutes ago, 123red1 said:

The Birmingham offer was for Flint and Bryan, when we rejected it they came back with 3m for Flint. Had they offered 5m for Flint, he would have been sold.

no he wouldn't 5m was well below citys valuation 

52 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

5m is too low but it is about the market value for him I’d say. That said I imagine we are looking for more in the 7-8m range atleast. I also think that is fine. We either keep him or get daft money for him. 

I am all for clubs thinking we over value him but does seem to be a leader. Take that and add it to his goals and his good defensive play then we can ask what we want with his contract. Boro have parachute payments. Doesn’t mean they have to spend big but clubs are going to try and milk the fee they receive and good on anyone that does. Everyone looking for their portion of the pie

What's the going rate for a Championship forward with 9 goals in his last season ?

Indeed he has, just commenting on the Birmingham bids.  Some on here saying we wanted a lot more than 5 mill at the time. Worth more now? Probably. Seems settled now, depends on ultimately his ambitions,  model pro and comfortable here, or one last chance of playing/reaching premier elsewhere! 

5 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I said last year that Flint would be unlikely to depart for Boro and still believe that. Despite press talk he is not a natural replacement for Ben Gibson. Gibson is left footed and Flint is undoubtedly not. On the right they have Daniel Ayala, a younger and better centre half than our Aden. 

I don’t rate Ayala, but agree with the sentiment of your post, although I don’t always buy the necessity of a right footer to partner a  left footer. It can actually restrict flexibility of squad options and in games marking / passing on a player.  Hansen and Lawrenson were both right footers, as were Moore and Charlton, as were Bruce and Pallister.  There are of course examples of opposite footed players, Berg and Hendry, Walker and Butcher, but the sheer fact that there are less left footers than right footers means typically you are likely to find two right footers as the likely pairing.

58 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t rate Ayala, but agree with the sentiment of your post, although I don’t always buy the necessity of a right footer to partner a  left footer. It can actually restrict flexibility of squad options and in games marking / passing on a player.  Hansen and Lawrenson were both right footers, as were Moore and Charlton, as were Bruce and Pallister.  There are of course examples of opposite footed players, Berg and Hendry, Walker and Butcher, but the sheer fact that there are less left footers than right footers means typically you are likely to find two right footers as the likely pairing.

Of course we had to be different and have two left footers in Fontaine and Nyatanga :grr: 

On 21/06/2018 at 13:59, JonDolman said:

Why? Mags had one year left on contract. Flint about 4 isn't it? 

And because of that we can stick to our alleged valuation of £9m, especially as the rumblings about Flint wanting away are absent this year.

It puzzles me why some of our fans think we will capitulate on transfer fees as soon as any self styled big club comes along.

Archived