IGNORED

Goodbye and Good luck - Aden Flint gone, official (Merged)

Davefevs

I hope Zak Vyner is given a good chance pre-season as there impressive reports about his performances for Plymouth.   Will need experience though and cover for Baker as Lloyd Kelly looks better suited to playing full-back. The other plus factor for Flint was his lack of injuries and desire to play every game.

15 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The harsh lesson in this that people still can’t seem to grasp is that we are a million miles away from being able to match the financial clout of teams that have recently come down from the premier league. 

They talk like retaining our best is simply a case of clicking ‘offer new contract’ when we are operating in what is fundamentally a completely different universe. 

The gulf, financially, between recently relegated from the PL and a Championship ‘water treader’ is absolutely stratospheric. 

Pretty condescending and simplistic response there B86. Not sure I've seen people saying we can offer what the former prem teams can anywhere. What we couldve done though is show faith in our talisman last year before Brum came sniffing by assuring him of first team football. And we could show ambition by showing a bit more willing to strive for the Prem in January, we could do a bit more to quash the rumours about Joey, Reid and Pack going and finally we could look to improve his contract - maybe not to Boro levels but to make him paid according to his stature in the team. Maybe he isn't the best CB in the country technically but you'll do very well to find someone who does the intangibles better than him and we will very much struggle to replace him in the short term imho. 

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If youve ever managed a side Hodge

You will know just what golden nuggets players like Flint are

Much more than footballing ability

Hes a winner and we havnt got too many 

Out of interest bob what would your strategy be to retain a player who can earn 2/3 x the maximum you can afford to? Just curious. 

Sometimes you have to concede you’re lower in the food chain than others.  

Been an excellent servant to the club and a massive part of the growth over the past few years. 

Still believe his goals cover up that he’s not the greatest defender. Been great for us but think at his age and if £7m is true. We could buy a decent young replacement.

Unfortunately for us it’s now or never for Flints premier league aspirations and they certainly won’t happen with us. Boro is a club he can go to and play with a chance of PL next season. 

Wish him all the best and just pray we can get a decent replacement. 

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

5mil is lower than expected but enough to find a potential replacement tbf 

potential; money talks mate and its why Flinty is likely to go to Boro and unlikely anyone anywhere near as good as him will come here;

We could have gone for it ourselves the last window, what did we get? apparent potential then...bag of shite more like it; so we rebuild again then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Just now, BRISTOL86 said:

Out of interest bob what would your strategy be to retain a player who can earn 2/3 x the maximum you can afford to? Just curious. 

I see my previous question was difficult to answer

Speaks volumes of the people who run this club and the ability they have of taking us to the next level. 

Sorry but this is a ridiculous bit of business if the fee is £5m. After all that happened last summer ...to then go and sell him for peanuts anyway is a joke 

At least it gives the club their ready made excuse for when we are in the bottom 3 next season

As someone said above...for a club that has the resources we have, to sell one of our prized assets to a league rival for peanuts speak volumes of the club and it's true ambition 

The club are a laughing stock 

14 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The harsh lesson in this that people still can’t seem to grasp is that we are a million miles away from being able to match the financial clout of teams that have recently come down from the premier league. 

They talk like retaining our best is simply a case of clicking ‘offer new contract’ when we are operating in what is fundamentally a completely different universe. 

The gulf, financially, between recently relegated from the PL and a Championship ‘water treader’ is absolutely stratospheric. 

I'm talking in terms of FFP.

We can lose a decent amount because of our good figures in 16/17, unsure how much we lost last year and the profit on transfers will be down quite a bit but at the same the extra appearances on Sky, the average attendance being up by over 1,00 and the Cup run mean we should be able to have lost a decent amount this year.

However in general financial terms, I agree with the thrust of your post.

Just now, ... said:

Very sorry to see him off from the club.

However he is gone - apparently.

Can we buy a replacement for £5-£7M.

"Yes".

.......... or Johnson can just play Smith at centre-half ...............

:me?:

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

Pretty condescending and simplistic response there B86. Not sure I've seen people saying we can offer what the former prem teams can anywhere. What we couldve done though is show faith in our talisman last year before Brum came sniffing by assuring him of first team football. And we could show ambition by showing a bit more willing to strive for the Prem in January, we could do a bit more to quash the rumours about Joey, Reid and Pack going and finally we could look to improve his contract - maybe not to Boro levels but to make him paid according to his stature in the team. Maybe he isn't the best CB in the country technically but you'll do very well to find someone who does the intangibles better than him and we will very much struggle to replace him in the short term imho. 

We did, in March... 15 months after we also have him another improved deal. 

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Not intended to be condescending at all - it’s a simple fact that a large proportion of our fans have absolutely zero clue about the reality of working within a financial constraint. 

Not sure where first team football comes into it. He has had that from day one here. 

3 minutes ago, ... said:

"Yes".

I think the bigger question is "Will we buy a replacement for £5-7m?" to which the answer is almost certainly no. We will probably buy on the cheap, young, quite possibly from abroad and all are a gamble. If you said we'd spend the money, and that of Hörður, Bobby and Joe on Marriott, a big commanding keeper and a commanding CB etc then I think people would be happier but having seen our recent transfer business no one has confidence in this board to do that.

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

The profit we'll make from the Flint deal is £3.7m apparently. £5m guaranteed of which £1m goes to Swindon and £300k we paid for Flint. 

Pathetic.

1 minute ago, ... said:

"Yes".

Can we buy a replacement for £3.7m? Do you actually trust MA/LJ to deliver a replacement?

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Flint proved last season he can be a professional 

He had what...3 years left to run on his contract?

Sorry but it's a terrible bit of business from the club. Just proves they have zero ambition 

Just now, Sturny said:

Absolutely,  but we've never struggled to find goal scoring replacements. Whether it's within the team or elsewhere  :thumbsup:

and what exactly do we do with these goalscorers, keep them and build a powerfull force to take on the prem or cash in and go back to sq one ? its the later same old same old wake up.

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I see my previous question was difficult to answer

Not at all. Just can’t believe for a second you needed it pointed out!

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think you’ve just highlighted what you are

:clap:

Back to your quarterbacks hot dogs

I rest my case

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Not at all. Just can’t believe for a second you needed it pointed out!

And maybe you could try and answer it after your holier than tho (:laughcont:) statement

I was also reading a few threads where insults (Again pls point out mine) to RR were on a different level - have you butted your nose on in these too

:whistle2:

Shall I answer for you

Archived