IGNORED

Goodbye and Good luck - Aden Flint gone, official (Merged)

Davefevs

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

He also signed a new deal which has given the club the ability to ask for a large fee, unlike the 2 Bristolians wanting away.

Good luck Flinty! :(

He is Bristolian now in my book.

3 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

He's slightly better, yes. All I was really saying was that defensively Flint isn't all that special, we can find his qualities in a replacement fairly easily. As I said, it's the attacking instinct and charisma that'll be hard to replace. But that was always going to have to happen eventually.

I agree with what you’re saying for sure. Of course we can find his qualities but I am sceptical we will.

unfortunately that’s football. Especially in today’s game it was inevitable.

4 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I'm going to be very controversial here but... 

I think this could prove to be a good deal for us, who's to say he'll work out at Boro and 7 mill for a 29 year old with only a few years of championship experience isn't a bad piece of business in my opinion. 

I think if Johnson does want to play a passing game of football Flint doesn't have the skill set to be a part of it, granted he's excellent in both boxes but with the ball at his feet he's not great let's be honest. 

Obviously I'll miss him, he's become a city legend and he'll be missed by everyone, was an integral part of our promotion season and he's scored some vital goals but if we replace him with a younger player who is brtter with the ball at his feet and slightly quicker it'll be good business in my opinion. 

Tim hat on now haha 

If we're playing the passing game then only another 8 players to go

13 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

But £5m? In this modern market? Especially after last year and the stance they took with Birmingham 

Laughable 

I shudder to think what Johnson and Ashton will waste the money on. As I said though...gives him a ready made excuse for next season already 

Have we even had any confirmation of the fee yet or is it pure conjecture? I don’t disagree that IF it’s £5m it’s disappointing. 

But if a player’s head is gone it’s a difficult situation, and I don’t think many realise just how much power players and agents have compared to clubs. 

We also may very well have given him verbal promises about not standing in his way should a club offer X amount or more in the summer. 

13 minutes ago, BCFC_95 said:

Hopefully he realises what an utter sh*t hole the place is and stays in the beautiful south west :crying:

They've got a Transporter Bridge though (unless the Auf Wiedersehen Pet boys have flogged it)  not as pretty as Brunels Clifton Suspension Bridge imo but they do say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

1 minute ago, WhistleHappy said:

They've got a Transporter Bridge though (unless the Auf Wiedersehen Pet boys have flogged it)  not as pretty as Brunels Clifton Suspension Bridge imo but they do say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

So does Newport ;)

37 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Terrible news. 

Oh well, another 5-7 million for Ashton and Junior to blow on rubbish.

I've made it 1.5 pages into this thread and already liked about 10 posts. It's nice to see so many people share the same view.

But I've stopped at this one, as you've nailed it it. It's not just the selling, it's the abysmal record the current people at the club have of recruitment.

It's like a double whammy. You take out part of the spine of the team (and certainly the heart) from the side AND we're likely to replace him badly.

I made the point at the end of the season when we were debating the likelihood of the "three possible sales", that this one makes the least sense.

He isn't going to go to the Premiership, I think we're all agreed he isn't a Reid or Bryan - he is at the top of his game, what you see is what you get.

He's worth disproportionately more to us now than anyone else, as no one is going to pay top dollar for a 29 year old (£5m wouldn't surprise me).

His next contract (including the 4 year one he'd signed with us) is his last at his peak, and in 4 years another transfer will be for significantly less.

So who'll shell out market value on a depreciating asset? No one. That's why he's better value to us. He plays a key role at both ends of the pitch.

To me, selling now to a Championship rival (I would say a promotion rival but not sure if we're serious) is a bizarre, high-risk low-reward strategy.

The mind boggles that SL sanctions sales like this for a management team that has recruited poorly and depended so much on winners like this.

Surely he can see it runs counter to every bit of evidence: how important Flint contributes and how poorly his management team have recruited.

You can't replace Flint for £5m and I doubt Middlesbro are paying much more than that, so what exactly have we gained - unless Flint wants out.

A couple of other points - the idea he's a bad defender is nonsense, everyone makes the odd mistake but he has improved significantly over time.

At the end of last season Baker and Wright were both calamitous (I still have nightmares about Barnsley and Millwall), Flint was far more reliable.

Secondly the idea we have other match winners - at Hull or Sheff Utd you saw how much more Flint wants to win than anyone else we have got :blink:

Not surprised except at the fee. It’s possible that when Flint signed a new contract that he had a release clause, now activated.

After ‘talk’ of £9m it does seem as Boro have got a good deal, and Swindon will no doubt be happy with maybe £1m approx out of it.

Well whatever it should now start the domino effect, and would expect a 23/24 year old replacement, maybe the Portsmouth guy that has been mentioned before. Hoping Bobby and Joe go to the Premier League rather than rivals though.

14 minutes ago, ReggyRed said:

So basically we have no ambition 

We are never going to be able to compete with clubs like Boro financially, however much some fans ache for us to spend well beyond our means and ignore the reality of FFP.

On the other hand we are not going to end up a financial  basket case like Villa.

For the first time since Alan Dicks' time we actually have a strategy. We should also learn the lesson from the financial profligacy that followed our promotion to the old first division, which nearly destroyed the club.

6 minutes ago, Olé said:

I've made it 1.5 pages into this thread and already liked about 10 posts. It's nice to see so many people share the same view.

But I've stopped at this one, as you've nailed it it. It's not just the selling, it's the abysmal record the current people at the club have of recruitment.

It's like a double whammy. You take out part of the spine of the team (and certainly the heart) from the side AND we're likely to replace him badly.

I made the point at the end of the season when we were debating the likelihood of the "three possible sales", that this one makes the least sense.

He isn't going to go to the Premiership, I think we're all agreed he isn't a Reid or Bryan - he is at the top of his game, what you see is what you get.

He's worth disproportionately more to us now than anyone else, as no one is going to pay top dollar for a 29 year old (£5m wouldn't surprise me).

His next contract (including the 4 year one he'd signed with us) is his last at his peak, and in 4 years another transfer will be for significantly less.

So who'll shell out market value on a depreciating asset? No one. That's why he's better value to us. He plays a key role at both ends of the pitch.

To me, selling now to a Championship rival (I would say a promotion rival but not sure if we're serious) is a bizarre, high-risk low-reward strategy.

The mind boggles that SL sanctions sales like this for a management team that has recruited poorly and depended so much on winners like this.

Surely he can see it runs counter to every bit of evidence: how important Flint contributes and how poorly his management team have recruited.

You can't replace Flint for £5m and I doubt Middlesbro are paying much more than that, so what exactly have we gained - unless Flint wants out.

A couple of other points - the idea he's a bad defender is nonsense, everyone makes the odd mistake but he has improved significantly over time.

At the end of last season Baker and Wright were both calamitous (I still have nightmares about Barnsley and Millwall), Flint was far more reliable.

Secondly the idea we have other match winners - at Hull or Sheff Utd you saw how much more Flint wants to win than anyone else we have got :blink:

Superb post as usual :clap:

EDIT: How do you manage to make every line the same length though?

52 minutes ago, hodge said:

£1m below the record price for a CB in this division for Chester who dropped from the premier league at the time. 

It's an interesting fact,  but I would have thought that with the prices pushed around for championship players at the moment he is probably worth more than the alleged sum.

On 20/06/2018 at 14:17, ncnsbcfc said:

I've no doubt that Flint will have a buy out clause in his new contract.

It'll be interesting to know if his agents will make that common knowledge around his possible suitors.

£5m is what we turned down from Birmingham last summer, so my guess is that the buy out figure won't be much more than that; possibly 7-8m.

Well I'm guessing that the add ons take it up to the above figure.

This will have been built into his new contract. Nothing we could have done about it.

Having to give 15-20% to Swindon is a killer though.

Huge loss, dreadful buisiness. With Mags gone, now down to Wright, where the consensus at the end of last season was 'not good enough ' and Baker who, when not injured just looked unhappy. I guess we'll see what £2/3 m can get you in the Swedish league.

1 minute ago, fishy said:

It's an interesting fact,  but I would have thought that with the prices pushed around for championship players at the moment he is probably worth more than the alleged sum.

I think if it had been £7m even without add ons it would have been just about right, relying on boro to be promoted for another £2m is a risk. 

8 minutes ago, Olé said:

It makes no sense at all. I can only think that for whatever reason that LJ was happy to ‘sanction’ him leaving. Or in other words wanted him out. Another strong character off the staff list. May be clutching at straws but it’s one of the  only reasons I can think of that makes any sense atm as to why we are letting him go so cheaply with another 3 years on a contract. 

Archived