IGNORED

Goodbye and Good luck - Aden Flint gone, official (Merged)

Davefevs

13 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Exactly, peak. As in, we'll never get more money for him than now, and he'll only get worse. It just makes sense for us to reinvest. If we were signing a 29 year old defender with Championship experience for the fees being quoted, there would be a hell of a lot of raised eyebrows.

11 minutes ago, chinapig said:

It's also the peak of his value and, from his point of view, the peak of his earning potential. Neither we nor Flint are going to make that kind of money at some later stage.

I don’t think people would be raising eyebrows about signing one of the divisions best known defenders with plenty of years left in him, who’s capable of scoring into double figures.

If it’s solely about getting the maximum for him then that’s true we won’t make more. But I’d rather have another 3-4 years from him and sell him for less or nothing.

If he wants to go that’s a different issue. But solely in business terms I’m not convinced we will benefit more from the money than we would from the player.

9 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

After having to put my 16 yr old labrador to sleep today and feeling pretty down, I thought I'd check out whether Jon Lansdown came through with a signing today to feel a bit better- 

He did... for Pulis.

If Carlsberg did totally and utterly shit days.....

Gutted for you. This news is nothing in comparison. Head up.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I don’t think people would be raising eyebrows about signing one of the divisions best known defenders with plenty of years left in him, who’s capable of scoring into double figures.

If it’s solely about getting the maximum for him then that’s true we won’t make more. But I’d rather have another 3-4 years from him and sell him for less or nothing.

If he wants to go that’s a different issue. But solely in business terms I’m not convinced we will benefit more from the money than we would from the player.

I personally doubt this, which means we can't really debate this any more. But fair enough, opinions are opinions.

I have a q too.

Middlesborough just signed McNair for £7m also as well as this Flint deal- presumably FFP isn't a concern for them this season? Even though parachute payments being Year 2 definitely see a drop.

10 minutes ago, Fuber said:

May of been me. There were one or two.

I compared players on that basis iirc, along with whether they would garner a greater fee.

Someone also argued with me that Maggs would sell for a profit. I pointed out he only had a year left and WC aside, would be lucky to recoup the €3m we spent l him. We did make a loss in the end if the rumoured fee is correct. 

@Davefevs can you recall? I cbf to trawl my past posts.

In FFP terms Mags may well go down as a profit...there seem to be a lot of different fees ventured for him though so it's hard to say.

Great servant, improved loads but honestly not bothered. If he wants elsewhere then good luck to him. I’m sure the club got the best deal they could. 

Nobody knows the fee other than those involved, be amazed if it was only £5m.

Interested to see who we have lined up. 

9 minutes ago, Olé said:

I hear what you're saying, but a club can have a model of developing and selling young players for profit and retain some long standing experienced assets in the team over the longer term.

I'm guessing here, but I very much doubt any of the great player development clubs succeed by cycling through their team so regularly, or without any "continuity" players making up their spine.

Flint doesn't fit into the bracket you describe. His level is at a club like ours or similar and if we're serious he was the sort of player you continue to build around. It's not like he's off to the Prem.

We complain about inexperience and mental weakness n the annual meltdowns under LJ, then sell one of our most experienced and consistent players, and to a very close rival. It's inexplicable.

Perhaps Flint signing a new contract convinced me he would never outgrow us. I assume the truth will out about what happened with him at the start of last season, and that is the defining issue.

Agree Ole. I think the difference is Flint is already at maximum value and not really still developing. What else could he do with us to add value to his transfer fee? Nothing IMO. 

The model only works if you have the conviction and guts to ‘go again’ when the time comes. 

Ultimately it comes down to how badly the player wants the move. And I’d say in this case the answer is ‘badly’. If we offered him £40k a week would he stay? Probably yes. But would that be good for the club, long term? Personally I’d say very much not. 

I very much have my doubts about our ability to replace. However I won’t throw the club under the bus for doing exactly what they’ve very publicly said they’d do. 

I think most now realise that a player signing a new contract does very little, except 

a) improve value of player to club

b) improve the players wages

c) buy a little time for the club to line up a replacement.

In this case a) seems to have failed and c) we shall see.

I suspect club and player knew he would leave (unless promoted maybe) and with either scenario we possibly broke our pay structure knowing it would only probably be for a few months maximum.

Added to this our performances since Xmas suggested either heads had been turned or as some have alluded to maybe SC’s core players have not bought into LJ’s philosophy. Either way change had to come.

Many would have preferred LJ to go but I think he had to break up the core, but now comes the real test of replacing it.

Anyway for FFP purposes our payroll should free-up considerably with O’Neill, Flint, Magnússon and Joe departing maybe allowing some flexibility for Uncle Albert or another big signing. All of course conjecture and it all could go horribly wrong of course. 

7 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Difference being Flint wanted to leave and was actively seeking a transfer.

Also last year he was, personally, my 5th choice CB.

I ranked Wright, Baker, Hörður and Hegeler ahead of him.

Slightly concerned that Wright has lost form, Baker is a major injury worry, Hörður has gone and Hegeler isn't fit.

27 minutes ago, chinapig said:

We are never going to be able to compete with clubs like Boro financially, however much some fans ache for us to spend well beyond our means and ignore the reality of FFP.

On the other hand we are not going to end up a financial  basket case like Villa.

For the first time since Alan Dicks' time we actually have a strategy. We should also learn the lesson from the financial profligacy that followed our promotion to the old first division, which nearly destroyed the club.

and the strategy is; buy players and don't play them? loan in players that make a team worse? oh I know... develop players then sell them to our rivals; aren't we supposed to be building a squad to take on the prem and Europe, please explain how we are helping BCFC TO PROGRESS 

We had a golden chance at xmas to kick on and bring in some more talent which could of pushed us on, we chose not to and brought in rubbish which upset the apple cart.

We are now facing the result of that bad mistake and could be for many more years yet to come. SL/LJ OUT common sense in.

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think it's fair to assume he was happy to move and maximise his earning potential.

Nothing to be gained by insisting he honour his contract.

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

That's how football works ofc, unless we're a big fish in the league which we're not. 

Money talks but aslong as we keep finding quality replacements, which we have, then I'm not worried. 

Can you not see that we are forever going around and around, oh to be as big as.....Burnley :mafia:

1 minute ago, Selred said:

Slightly concerned that Wright has lost form, Baker is a major injury worry, Hörður has gone and Hegeler isn't fit.

Injury to Baker and we'll line up with a back 4 of Pisano - Wright - Hegeler - Kelly

Oh joy of joys.

So for the second time, Mark Ashton has effectively placed a bet on a divisional rival to have a great season.

Add on clauses can be a good thing, but at it stands we could (in theory) be due up to 4 million on Villa winning promotion with JK and 3 million from Middlesbrough winning promotion.

So I assume we are only targeting the playoffs this coming season.

Absolute joke.

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Fair play, GMcG was saying on the podcast yesterday that he was convinced Flint would stay. Now posting 'it's done' like he knew it all along, liked him when he came in, but he really does know no more than the rest of us, does he?

No way have we sold him for £5m, not having that

And the annoying thing here is the last time I saw Flint play for us was Brentford, and he was absolute ******* bobbins that day, along with the rest of them. That is my last memory of the big fella

Genuinely gutted about this one

As a matter of interest, does anybody know if GMcG actually posts on here?

Clearly, there are many Bristol Live journalists who read the site, GMcG included (Remember us signing the young Liverpool lad who went to Italy?), and I have seen posts from other BL journalists, e.g.  @Tristan Cork, but I just wonder if he is the only one.

7 minutes ago, Selred said:

All entitled to our opinions but that's a bit weird tbh.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Obviously we will bring new players in! And Vyner is ahead of Hegeler surely

Yeah wasn't all that serious a post haha.

I do think if we're relying on Kelly and Vyner to make up a part of our back 4 we're placing an enormous amount of faith in two very inexperienced, if talented, young players. Could end up being a good thing for the pathway but could also be an unmitigated disaster.

Exciting ennit?

2 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

and the strategy is; buy players and don't play them? loan in players that make a team worse? oh I know... develop players then sell them to our rivals; aren't we supposed to be building a squad to take on the prem and Europe, please explain how we are helping BCFC TO PROGRESS 

We had a golden chance at xmas to kick on and bring in some more talent which could of pushed us on, we chose not to and brought in rubbish which upset the apple cart.

We are now facing the result of that bad mistake and could be for many more years yet to come. SL/LJ OUT common sense in.

You can always sack the head coach of course but not the owner. 

We could shell out the big fees but where does the money come from for the big wages that go with them? Unless we can find a wonderful Chinese owner, like Villa and West Brom of course.:shifty:

Alan Dicks took an awful long time to implement his strategy. These days he'd have been sacked long since and doubtless there would be calls for Harry Dolman to go.

Imagine the uproar too if he had signed a Norwich reserve to be a key part of the plan. :whistle:

This has probably already been said before in the thread, cba to check.

If he really wanted to move after his service to the club fair enough, but I'm gutted it's to that Roland Rat faced sheep ******* gas **** Pulis.

edit, sorry forgot to insert 'fraudster' in the above.

Archived