IGNORED

Goodbye and Good luck - Aden Flint gone, official (Merged)

Davefevs

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I’m convinced that the real ambition has gone from City and the new plan is to be content with being a mid table Championship team. Gates of 20k ish, transfer fee income. and good non match day income will keep the club ticking over. The plan seems to  be to have a fluke season where it all goes right, City scape into the playoffs and make it to the promised land 

We will see, I remain totally unconvinced by our transfer dealings of the 2 January's and last summer.

I was talking to my son earlier and he said that he believed that rugby will become SL's his new favourite toy, because the out goings are far less to build a successful team.

35 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Too true mate johnson said we need more leaders on the pitch  what the hell was flint

Whilst there are many things to be grateful to Flint for, on the pitch leadership is not one of them. He did indeed tend to do a lot of shouting and balling and stamping of feet, but that was him letting out frustration as opposed to him ‘leading’ his troops. 

We’ll miss his goals, we’ll miss his aerial ability, and I’m sure he was a character in the dressing room, but he was never a ‘leader’ on the pitch. 

30 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I had a feeling that Flinty wasn't happy here, for last couple of months of the season anyway. Don't know why but just felt he'd lost his spark. :online2long:

Agreed, he was not happy near the end of the season , assuming this goes through we have shifted nine players out now , the loans , out of contracts and mags and flint , tbh of those only flinty and a top keeper NEED replacing , but even as we stand at least two more experienced players including midfielder wanted, of course if and when Bobby and Joe go we need to sort them as well , looks like if those two do go we would have  a pot approaching 25 million , for all the negative vibes re Ashton and Johnson we must have a few lined up 

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Whilst there are many things to be grateful to Flint for, on the pitch leadership is not one of them. He did indeed tend to do a lot of shouting and balling and stamping of feet, but that was him letting out frustration as opposed to him ‘leading’ his troops. 

We’ll miss his goals, we’ll miss his aerial ability, and I’m sure he was a character in the dressing room, but he was never a ‘leader’ on the pitch. 

He didn't need to be a leader in the strict sense of the word because he led by his actions and other players and fans looked up to him for that, now who do we have as a leader on the pitch in either the strict sense of the word or by actions? certainly from January onwards I cannot think of anybody.

It would expect that the sale of Flint has only gone through because we have a replacement lined up that we are confident of/in advanced talks to signing.  

It wouldn’t surprise me if we announced Flint’s replacement soon after if not before he departs.:fingerscrossed:

Well I hope that’s the case anyhow.

1 minute ago, Port Red said:

It would expect that the sale of Flint has only gone through because we have a replacement lined up that we are confident of/in advanced talks to signing.  

It wouldn’t surprise me if we announced Flint’s replacement soon after if not before he departs.:fingerscrossed:

Well I hope that’s the case anyhow.

Just like when we sold Kodjia?

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Yeah, we're wildly agreeing on this one except for one thing - I don't care about him not adding to his transfer value, I believe his value to us over another 4 years is worth considerably more than £5m, I don't want to make any money off him. That's what I meant about him not fitting the model. 

He isn't a big time potential player sale with a sell on too and all that good stuff - he is disproportionately valuable to us as he is, he established himself as an important player at both ends of the pitch and as a winner, why do we want £5m, and off a direct rival too, for me it's a false economy! 

I've been beaten to my point but...
The one thing you haven't taken into account is Flint himself. Rumours of his head being turned with Brum, a struggling Championship side, throw M'boro into the mix and it goes up a scale. It's probably his last chance of a pay day, double your money+signing on fee type payday that we can't compete with. 
Absolutely agree with your point, but there are other things at would I would guess.

51 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

"They'll never see a return "

Get to the Prem and and you take it in. I'm guessing you mean rake it in

Unfortunately under this regime...we will never get there 

Although said as a joke the old , how do you make a small fortune owning a football club, start with a large fortune , is a truism . As @chinapig has mentioned a couple, there is one other way, but I'm not sure we should follow Oyston at Blackpool as a role model either. 
The well reported £100m a year just for being there, soon gets swallowed up if you actually want to stay there. Found some figures (2 years old now) Bournemouth got £75m from TV and their wage bill was £60m + Then you want signings etc.  Lansdown has got the ground in place to try and up our turnover, Bournemouth are totally reliant on the owners. I think he's tried to do it the right way, although maybe he needs someone outside of the club to set up the recruitment side of it.

3 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

He didn't need to be a leader in the strict sense of the word because he led by his actions and other players and fans looked up to him for that, now who do we have as a leader on the pitch in either the strict sense of the word or by actions? certainly from January onwards I cannot think of anybody.

Yeah, I’m not saying we have any other ‘leaders’ but Flint certainly wasn’t one. I also don’t think he led by example either - he was often very putulent and certainly critical of others with his actions (he’d often appear to have the tantrum of a 4 year old when we conceded - that’s not setting examples to others). 

He had his good points, for sure. But he’s certainly no leader. 

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yeah, I’m not saying we have any other ‘leaders’ but Flint certainly wasn’t one. I also don’t think he led by example either - he was often very putulent and certainly critical of others with his actions (he’d often appear to have the tantrum of a 4 year old when we conceded - that’s not setting examples to others). 

We will agree to disagree on this one.

Except to say that he was right to be petulant at times with certain players, especially his very poor unfit for purpose midfield.

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agreed with you. For all that Flint contributed, leadership of others was not his force. Small example was Bailey Wright going over to Magnússon after one of Hordurs lax moments that conceded a goal and clearly trying to lift him. That's the leadership we need. 

Best wishes to Aden if he leaves and thanks for his efforts. Nobody is indispensable, and whoever replaces him will be different. 

29 minutes ago, Harry said:

I don't disagree mate - not a leader by organisational or vocal standards, but (and I know you know this) leadership takes many forms, and in his case I believe he was our biggest leader by example. His determination to win, his drive in games late on - to me those were all a form of leadership. Given it was among the problems we exhibited during our annual collapse (no one looking interested in the fight), I still think it's leadership we're going to miss. 

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Agreed with you. For all that Flint contributed, leadership of others was not his force. Small example was Bailey Wright going over to Magnússon after one of Hordurs lax moments that conceded a goal and clearly trying to lift him. That's the leadership we need. 

Best wishes to Aden if he leaves and thanks for his efforts. Nobody is indispensable, and whoever replaces him will be different. 

Sadly Bailey Wright began to make the Magnússon type mistakes so it was probably empathy and by then Baker IMO had adopted an almost couldn't give a shit attitude, that even managed to piss LJ off.

16 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

You have far more confidence than I do that somehow BCFC has a cogent transfer policy, I have seen little evidence in the past 12 months.

I haven’t got confidence mate. I’m just hoping and praying we get it right and am happy with the fact that at least we have now got time to replace him :fingerscrossed:

joe and bobby will also go and for me we are now about to finally get to cut through all the spin and splits in the fan base and finally see whether the Johnson / Ashton axis really is the real deal or are they frauds. 

They have both been here 2.5 seasons now . Plenty of players have come in. Now fans favourites will be going and they will have funds to put what bl00dy should be the finishing touches to Johnson’s master plan.

if come Xmas we are bottom 6 and they have signed duds it will surely be time to say goodbye.

34 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. Not to mention that he actually had a chance to lead the team and turned it down. 

I like Aden Flint but he’s not a leader or organiser. 

Not sure if it's been mentioned, buy Sky Sports News just showed him wheeling his man-bag-on-wheels-thing (whatever it is men now feel obliged to pull behind them on public transport) into Middlesbrough training ground, so this isn't just journalist speak, it's a done deal.

We need a new goalkeeper, we are in grave danger of loosing our main striker,  we play our centre midfielder at right back every now and again and now sell a goal scoring centre back without whom we’d have been toast and back playing the dig fiddlers 

thats the spine of our team, any business that wants to progress offloads deadwood and retains core staff, if you don’t well ...

40 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Personally think Johnson struggles with big egos just like his old man did . Hope I’m wrong but think we’re in for a long hard  season 

Couldn’t agree more

the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree 

31 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Just like when we sold Kodjia?

We had Tammy. We struggled that season due to an extremely poor defence of which Flint was the key player, and not through a lack of goals.  Flints a good player but for me has reached his level. There will be better, younger players to be had.  In our position it’s finding these players that will move us forward.  

4 minutes ago, B block said:

We need a new goalkeeper, we are in grave danger of loosing our main striker,  we play our centre midfielder at right back every now and again and now sell a goal scoring centre back without whom we’d have been toast and back playing the dig fiddlers 

thats the spine of our team, any business that wants to progress offloads deadwood and retains core staff, if you don’t well ...

Our team has been lacking a spine for 2 seasons. Hopefully this will force the issue. Either LJ gets the recruitment right and we can push on or we get rolled over every week for a couple of months and he’ll be out. 

We don’t want to keep a spine that’s failed us for two seasons? 

I am not at all confident we will replace Flint effectively but, in principle at least, £7 million is decent money given his age and personality. I actually think one of two things will happen this summer.

Either we will find we have had a clique of established players who, although good in their own right, have made it hard for others to settle into the squad and moving them on will create a space for new voices and new and existing players to grow to fill the void in a way they could have not done if those players stayed or we will find we have sold our best players and have a shell of a squad that will struggle without them. I honestly think it could go either way.

Archived