IGNORED

Goodbye and Good luck - Aden Flint gone, official (Merged)

Davefevs

I found it a bit strange at the time that the contract he signed in January only added one year onto what he already had. 

I find it even stranger now. Did we offer him more money to stay only for him to leave a few months down the line? We wouldn’t have renegotiated it to put in a release clause either would we? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38181994

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/43241961

In fact I’ve just seen in the second article, the new deal only went on until 2021 if we triggered an option. So the new contract must’ve been for a wage increase to keep him at the club.

Despite the hysteria, the truth in my opinion is a great scoring record, bang average defender and not suited to the way Johnson wants to play.

Vyner and Kelly are well rated and we will probably spend £2m on another up and coming defender with much cheaper wages.

We may even use the wage saving to effectively keep Reid or Bryan.

Seems totally fine to me.

3 hours ago, Paul Cheesy said:

I actually feel a bit sorry for Aden, he now has to live in Middlesbrough!!!

I don’t think a Boro player has lived in Middlesbrough town centre for 30 years plus. 10 miles from to town centre to the North Yorkshire Moors and coastline.  

Training ground isn’t in Middlesbrough it  is in county Durham. £50 million 5 star rockcliffe hotel spa resort and golf course. Built by Steve Gibson. 

Even players who have retired/left the club still live in yarm, people like mendieta.  

The only time the players go to middlesbrough will be for the game. 

13 minutes ago, Boro5707 said:

I don’t think a Boro player has lived in Middlesbrough town centre for 30 years plus. 10 miles from to town centre to the North Yorkshire Moors and coastline.  

Training ground isn’t in Middlesbrough it  is in county Durham. £50 million 5 star rockcliffe hotel spa resort and golf course. Built by Steve Gibson. 

Even players who have retired/left the club still live in yarm, people like mendieta.  

The only time the players go to middlesbrough will be for the game. 

Ah, but do you live you in Middlesbrough?

if so, I feel sorry for you

Always sad to see a club legend go, and I think Aden is without doubt, however everyone seems to want the club to push on to the Prem, and keeping a defender of 29 who isn’t getting any better, and has been part of a leaky defence in a team that has collapsed in the 2 seasons, is not the way to get to the Prem.  A sad day for sure but we got top dollar for a guy who gave us good service and cost less than a Tilson, win win 

Bought for £300k sold for £5m plus and definitely given us his best years. Would have liked more but on reflection I think this is us kicking off the merry go round so that we can get business done relatively early in respect of targets. Hope so !

Flint (and Bryan) have been great servants but undoubtedly have been a big part of a very leaky defence in recent seasons. They are both committed players (up to xmas anyway) and will be missed but if they have been part of the reason for the slump (heads turned) then it’s only right the club take things into their own hands and get what they want for the players.

1 or 2 transfers won’t prove or disprove our selling strategy but if as many of us believe this is make or break season for the current management structure then I am glad we are proactive in the market rather than reactive. 

The problem will be whether we as a team can produce the goods with the big players moving on and the spine of the team gone. 

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

I found it a bit strange at the time that the contract he signed in January only added one year onto what he already had. 

I find it even stranger now. Did we offer him more money to stay only for him to leave a few months down the line? We wouldn’t have renegotiated it to put in a release clause either would we? 

In fact I’ve just seen in the second article, the new deal only went on until 2021 if we triggered an option. So the new contract must’ve been for a wage increase to keep him at the club.

I believe that his contract in January was as you said a wage increase to get him to commit until this window, on the basis that if we didn’t get promoted we would take a nominal fee come the transfer window. 

11 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Just like when we sold Kodjia?

Watch this space, I have it under reasonably good authority that a replacement is lined up and should be announced at a similar time to Flint leaving.  I don't lnow any names but based upon the Webster thread looks like it could be him.

I have no reason to doubt the source of the info as it is from someone who I would expect to be ITK, based in Bristol with links to the club. 

12 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

And there lies the problem . The belief that from this moment and going forward...this club can only progress with Bristol Sport and Lansdown 

We would be an attractive option for many decent investors

Believe me mate - the process to find them has already begun.

The whole lot - clubs, stadium, AV land.

Lansdowns 'endgame' - it always has been.

Be interesting to see how much of the 20m+ we get for the 'big four' (plus Mags fee) wanting out gets re-spent  - or paid into BS piggy bank.......

37 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I agree, leaders encourage and support other players, not chew them out at every opportunity.

I remember Vyner's first or second game at right back.  Vyner was struggling but Flint did nothing to help him.  A true leader would have talked him through the game, not left him to flounder.

6 minutes ago, SX227 said:

Be interesting to see how much of the 20m+ we get for the 'big four' (plus Mags fee) wanting out gets re-spent  - or paid into BS piggy bank.......

That’s quite a statement SX. Not doubting you at all but is it common knowledge that this is happening? I always thought I remember SL saying that he would only look at investment (not selling outright) and only if it was completely right for the club? Are you saying he’s looking to sell up completely? Quite a turn of events if so!

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Fair enough but who was the last manager or pair you had faith in on transfers?

I thought Cotterill almost got it right.  Managed to sell the club to players when we were in the first division and was decisive in his dealings which enabled us to get in the likes of Freeman and Ailing who must have been in demand higher up the pyramid. When we got promoted We had a small but talented squad riding high on confidence and it looked like he wanted to add real quality to the spine of the team.  It felt like he had a plan.  Plan A agree a fee for Gray, B agree fee for Gayle, C buy Kodjia (cheaper wages). From the outside looking in the club bottled it when it came to paying fees/wages and we couldn’t get the high profile deals over the line.  Why on earth the board wasted everyone’s time fishing in that pond if they didn’t have the balls to see it through with wages I just don’t get.  We showed no ambition at the last transfer window and players are jumping ship this time round. I think it’s time to accept that we are a small club and the powers to be have no ambition for us to be any different.  Hopefully we will win more than we loose at home, We’ll be entertained and stay up.

15 minutes ago, SX227 said:

Nonsense mate. Lansdown has probably put £100m+ into the football club alone, add on all of the money for the other parts of Bristol Sport, and that is an absolute ****ton of capital he has put in. Not to mention that without outgoing transfers, the club is hemorrhaging money, why on earth would he sell up just as it is beginning to become almost self-sustainable?

It makes zero sense, unless someone wants to come in and buy the club for the amount that SL has lost (not a chance). The whole 'paid into BS piggy bank' statement is not logical at all, the club loses money every year.

The club is not an attractive proposition for any 'normal' investor, but then you have to be abnormal to get into football. You will never make it back, it's only attractive to an investor who is happy to lose his money.

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

That’s quite a statement SX. Not doubting you at all but is it common knowledge that this is happening? I always thought I remember SL saying that he would only look at investment (not selling outright) and only if it was completely right for the club? Are you saying he’s looking to sell up completely? Quite a turn of events if so!

Info passed onto me 4 yrs ago that when all 'pieces were in place' to make BS (as its now known) an attractive investment proposal, a process would begin to find a successor to the Lansdown family.

Everything being on AV was the initial plan but that fell through.

I understand feelers have been put out regarding outside investors taking over at some point. Very informal.

I have no timescale, but strongly suspect it will be when AV land gets re-zoned.

I can't (and won't) say more for obvious reasons

1 minute ago, SX227 said:

Info passed onto me 4 yrs ago that when all 'pieces were in place' to make BS (as its now known) an attractive investment proposal, a process would begin to find a successor to the Lansdown family.

Everything being on AV was the initial plan but that fell through.

I understand feelers have been put out regarding outside investors taking over at some point. Very informal.

I have no timescale, but strongly suspect it will be when AV land gets re-zoned.

I can't (and won't) say more for obvious reasons

Interesting. I guess a lot can change in 4 years but it wouldn’t be the biggest shock ever if it did happen - I’m not sure that JL will have the skills to run the various clubs once his old man is past it on the basis of what I’ve seen thus far. Would be a hell of an undertaking for investors though, now that they have amalgamated the rugby and football plus the other teams as well so I’m not too sure how attractive a package that actually is tbh. Only time will tell on this one. 

2 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

My guess is that we raised his wages in exchange for the protection to the club that comes in the way of a slightly extended contract on the agreement (either gentleman’s or release clause...) that we wouldn’t stand in his way should an offer come in from a bigger club in the summer. 

17 hours ago, Cov 77 said:

From sky sports centre , truth is is it will be undisclosed , even other reports say 5 million upwards , don’t need to look at the worst scenario all the time 

Our deals being undisclosed is exactly why I see the worst scenario, as undisclosed deals are made because one side don't wish the outside world to see how much they've spent/received on a player. It's why the likes of Sky Sports and the BBC know an amount - they've been told by the agent or the happier party.

Sky are reporting £5m with £2m in addons. Additionally, 20% of that deal goes to Swindon, and an extra six-figure sum to someone else (forget who). If Boro don't get promoted, we're probably getting around £3.5m, which is a pathetic amount for a much-loved player to go to a rival.

• Admin
6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

My guess is that we raised his wages in exchange for the protection to the club that comes in the way of a slightly extended contract on the agreement (either gentleman’s or release clause...) that we wouldn’t stand in his way should an offer come in from a bigger club in the summer. 

Considering we could make as little as £3.5m from this sale, whoever sorted that contract needs to take a look at themselves !!

It makes you wonder how bad his previous release clause was

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Considering we could make as little as £3.5m from this sale, whoever sorted that contract needs to take a look at themselves !!

It makes you wonder how bad his previous release clause was

Pure speculation on my part. There may be no formal release clause. But he’s only worth what the market dictates he’s worth, and as we all know, the club holds very few cards in comparison to players and agents in modern football. If the player wants out they’ll be out.

Archived