IGNORED

£20m plus BUT

BS3_RED

• Admin
23 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Sell on clause was allegedly 20% of profit. So we'd get about £5.6m from £7m.

WRONG - the £7m is TOTAL amount from Boro if all the add ons come good

The payment has been quoted as nearer £5m and who knows over what timescale

26 minutes ago, phantom said:

At this moment in time I have real reservations that we are going into next season any better than we were when Cotts brought us up

At the moment, I’d agree. 

Thankfully it’s only the end of June and not Mid August. 

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

WRONG - the £7m is TOTAL amount from Boro if all the add ons come good

The payment has been quoted as nearer £5m and who knows over what timescale

Not 'WRONG' whatsoever :laugh::laugh:. I said it would be £5.6m from £7m, I didn't speculate as to the legitimacy of the fee at all. Though if it is as reported, it could well be true if all add-ons come good.  Pipe yourself down.

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

We already have a 20 plus goal striker in diedhiou. Play him on his own and bring up another back up to go with djuric. We have been linked with some very good players, so hoping we get some of them and then I'll be happy. 

No we don't. That's pure conjecture. We have a 13 goal a season striker.

22 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

If people really have such great faith in LJ's signings, why last season on many occasions did he start with 6 or 7 players who were at AG before his arrival?

Only way to ensure the majority of the team will be made up of his signings- Sell the players that were here before he got here.

57 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Which is too cheap after the pay outs IMO.

54 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

That's our own fault for agreeing to the deal on purchase though. It's not something Middlesbrough should be expected to compensate for, particularly if the player wants to leave.

Everybody negotiates sell on clauses now. We paid Angers some when Kodjia sold. We probably have one with Brownhill and COD. I imagine with Reid, Bryan, maybe not Flint but anyone else that goes we will also put a sell on in the sale. That is part of football deals now so can’t really complain about that. 

Worrying times.

Once again, we are replacing players who have performed well in the Championship with others who MIGHT do likewise.

And what I don't get is with a billionaire owner, increasing revenues from the increased crowds and most of the squad tied into decent contracts we do not need to take these sorts of risks.

Moreover as the OP and @phantom correctly point out, our record in the transfer market under Johnson/Ashton has been more miss than hit. And bloody expensive misses at that!

1 hour ago, BS3_RED said:

Who has faith in LJ and Ashton spending it well?

I'm sure we will get players in from quality experienced clubs all challenging for the big prize like we always do , Scunthorpe , Doncaster , Gillingham , Barnet, Cheltenham , Yeovil , etc.  Sale our best players and buy .............................................. or our continental option  

some French geezer with a pineapple on his head and £2 million on a Swede that never played ! or

go Premier league youth and not play them , resulting in large fines. 

no confidence in L.J or Ashton at all , but PLEASE prove me wrong !

2 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

Who has faith in LJ and Ashton spending it well?

I have it on good authority that we've, at this very moment, an extensive scouting network hard at work covering the length and breadth of Barnsley.

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

No we don't. That's pure conjecture. We have a 13 goal a season striker.

He scored a goal every 182 minutes on the pitch for us. 

I don’t think that makes that classing him as a 20 goals a season striker is completely unreasonable. 

5 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

I have it on good authority that we've, at this very moment, an extensive scouting network hard at work covering the length and breadth of Barnsley.

They’ve obviously taken a wrong turning to Ipswich somewhere. 

34 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Worrying times.

Once again, we are replacing players who have performed well in the Championship with others who MIGHT do likewise.

And what I don't get is with a billionaire owner, increasing revenues from the increased crowds and most of the squad tied into decent contracts we do not need to take these sorts of risks.

Moreover as the OP and @phantom correctly point out, our record in the transfer market under Johnson/Ashton has been more miss than hit. And bloody expensive misses at that!

Reid's had a contract offer since March if believed and hasn't signed, 12 months on his deal left, sorry but £10m is a cracking deal for us for a guy who 12 months ago people probably wouldn't have blinked if he'd been given a free transfer. Flint we don't know what went on, personal opinion nothing backing it up but his new contract in March I think contained a clause letting him leave if we didn't go up. He only signed a contract 15 months earlier so would have had a good wage increase already and it only added an extra year so signing a new deal so soon after made me think there was something about it. 

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

Reid's had a contract offer since March if believed and hasn't signed, 12 months on his deal left, sorry but £10m is a cracking deal for us for a guy who 12 months ago people probably wouldn't have blinked if he'd been given a free transfer. Flint we don't know what went on, personal opinion nothing backing it up but his new contract in March I think contained a clause letting him leave if we didn't go up. He only signed a contract 15 months earlier so would have had a good wage increase already and it only added an extra year so signing a new deal so soon after made me think there was something about it. 

TBH Hodge, I was talking more about the departure of Flint and mooted departure of Bryan and potentially, Pack, than Reid.

Reid was the only player I felt outside pressure and good offers would force us to sell this summer, and I agree that £10m is a fair price. If that is indeed what we're getting.

52 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Everybody negotiates sell on clauses now. We paid Angers some when Kodjia sold. We probably have one with Brownhill and COD. I imagine with Reid, Bryan, maybe not Flint but anyone else that goes we will also put a sell on in the sale. That is part of football deals now so can’t really complain about that. 

Yep exactly. I'm not saying we shouldn't have done it, I'm just saying there should be no obligation for any buying club to compensate for its existence.

"what happened to his belief in keeping HIS squad together ? if this window is worse than the last one we are only going one way.

I will await LJ`s comments of giving his newbies time to gel closely followed by fine tuning in the next xmas window, predictable and been here before"

Agreed. I do get the impression that our ambition only stretches to staying in this league.

If that does become apparent the 20k crowds will soon dwindle away.

4 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Only one thing in common?

I know all of them bar Reid have been key players in a team that has had three dreadful periods of form in three seasons but surely there are other things they have in common too?

They've all been managed by LJ?

2 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Someone just said to me that Bryan and Pack are leaving tomorrow. I like Pack, he has his limitations but he is excellent. 

Surely we'd have heard a whisper if they were actually off tomorrow?

2 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Someone just said to me that Bryan and Pack are leaving tomorrow. I like Pack, he has his limitations but he is excellent. 

Where to?

Pack's limitations stop him being a Premiership player.

Yes I do have faith in them in the transfer market, and quite excited at some of the prospects we have been linked with!

Let’s face it we all knew Flint was going, and the only surprise is that it has taken this long for him to leave.

If the reported £10 million fee for Reid is true well, seeing as though he has refused to sign a new contract is a great bit of business. Let’s remember that Johnson stuck his neck out converting him to the striker role last year, when most people on here would have happily let him go, and who is to say he will have another season like the last! 

Lets all just see what happens in the coming weeks, players come and go, and will continue to do so, so let’s do all that we can and trust the powers that be to move the club forwards!

Just continue to enjoy the ride that following the City gives us week in week out!!

Just now, Shtanley said:

Oh right gotcha. No idea, out of the blue former city employee said so. Bryan going is almost certain but I didn’t think we’d get rid of Pack

Both have 1 year left on their contracts so not surprising if they're not willing to sign new contracts.

Archived