IGNORED

Proof is in the pudding - ambition

Londoner

So with us seemingly selling our number 1 cb and number 1 striker.....it would not be inconceivable to argue that we as a club lack ambition.

Fortunately due to excessive funds in these deals we unquestionably have the money available to reinvest in the squad.But will we do it? Or go for the cheaper European options that have done so poorly thus far.

Let's me honest we are serious relegation candidates with our current squad.....and I'm sorry but linked players such as Webster Willis and the cheltenham striker do not fill me with confidence.

At least we have marley Watkins....

Mark Ashton lee Johnson, your making these decisions so get some proven quality into this side to IMPROVE on laat season....if not this is going to be a very long season.

This post is probably going to be shot down but I think it's a half sensible argument people have been making since January. Everyone would say we need to balance talented youth with experience. We're selling quite a big chunk of the experience it seems.

2 minutes ago, Full nelson said:

I don’t trust LJ or MA, both yes men with zero back bone. 

Just what`s required by the boss then, they want their wages so they will not rock his boat.

OP lacks realism, we are a lower-mid ranking Championship side, one of the few that has not been in the Premiership. We had a high profile cup run that put our players in the shop window, so it's pretty inevitable that they will move on. We just have to replace them as best we can, within our budget. The alternative is to show this mythical ambition, pay out silly money, fall foul of FFP and put the Club in a massive financial mess. It's how pro football works, get over it.

3 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

This post is probably going to be shot down but I think it's a half sensible argument people have been making since January. Everyone would say we need to balance talented youth with experience. We're selling quite a big chunk of the experience it seems.

They’re selling them. Not giving them away. If they aren’t sold now they’ll  be worthless when contracts expire or in Flint’s case gets older. 

The money will be reinvested. That’s football these days. 

3 hours ago, Londoner said:

So with us seemingly selling our number 1 cb and number 1 striker.....it would not be inconceivable to argue that we as a club lack ambition.

Fortunately due to excessive funds in these deals we unquestionably have the money available to reinvest in the squad.But will we do it? Or go for the cheaper European options that have done so poorly thus far.

Let's me honest we are serious relegation candidates with our current squad.....and I'm sorry but linked players such as Webster Willis and the cheltenham striker do not fill me with confidence.

Mark Ashton lee Johnson, your making these decisions so get some proven quality into this side to IMPROVE on laat season....if not this is going to be a very long season.

Erm, i’d argue our No 2 striker is on his way.  Diedhiou No 1 for me, hes our 25 a season striker not a one season wonder in Reid. 

Great £ for Reid, one year left on contract and no committment to signing another. 

Umm player that was worthless last year has been sold for 10 million after 1 good season after LJ moved him up front 

player has gone from probably 4K a week to probably 20k a week or more and in 2 years has gone from possibly released into div 2 maybe to big prem move 

terrible business this football lark is :clap:

1 hour ago, redapple said:

They’re selling them. Not giving them away. If they aren’t sold now they’ll  be worthless when contracts expire or in Flint’s case gets older. 

The money will be reinvested. That’s football these days. 

When did I say they weren't selling them?

As I've said quite a lot on here for the last two days it's how the money is reinvested that concerns me, as I have limited faith in the 'team' to deliver suitable replacements.

3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

When did I say they weren't selling them?

As I've said quite a lot on here for the last two days it's how the money is reinvested that concerns me, as I have limited faith in the 'team' to deliver suitable replacements.

Reinvestment so far has been mixed under LJ but some of the ‘ones for the future’ could still come good. To be a real force this year need a few good ones for the present. Definitely need to put pressure on Pack and Smith in midfield.

Let's be honest, 7 million for a 29 year old defender who has had 3 seasons of championship football and 10 million for a striker with one good season in his career and has a year left on his contract is good business. 

It's not about lacking ambition, it's about being realistic that we are a lower mid table club who can't turn down that sort of money

6 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Not happy about Flinty going, the other one is “business” BUT OTIB will be in meltdown if we have a bad start to next season.

My prediction is it might get messy on here soon.

Meltdown will happen regardless of sales because of the fickle nature of fans. 

Books need balancing, end of story. 

Lets see who else we sell before we start calling to sack the board. :gaah:

10 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

That Andy whatshisname (loads of numbers in his username) trumps the pair of them.

It's idiotic to shout from the rooftops predicting relegation when we have no idea who we will bring in as replacements.

Don`t forget Bri Stool City (hilarious eh?) who used to be Glos Old Boy

2 hours ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Umm player that was worthless last year has been sold for 10 million after 1 good season after LJ moved him up front 

player has gone from probably 4K a week to probably 20k a week or more and in 2 years has gone from possibly released into div 2 maybe to big prem move 

terrible business this football lark is :clap:

More by luck than judgement !

The team we had in the second part of last season needed shaking up. After failing to capitalise on the first half of the season they had a fine cup run which enhanced the reputations of players like Flint, Bryant and Reid and then faded when it really counted. We should not start next season with a failed team. Cash in on these reputations and build another team. Good ambitious players are out there. Go get'em Lee and build a new team with the money you will have in your pocket.

Oh, by the way, "The proof is in the pudding" is meaningless. 

The proverb is "The proof of the pudding is in the eating". To put this into context "The proof of our transfer activities will be in the playing". 

6 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Emissionimpossible why rubbish my post ? 

What I said is factually correct do you care to explain or even offer a comment or just read posts rubbish them and leave ? 

Probably because its not factually correct

8 hours ago, Londoner said:

And everything you have posted was written last summer and we finished 11th

Perhaps a little more faith and positivity needs to be applied especially as the club are in the process of replacing Flint & Reid with players who have yet to kick a ball in anger for the club

Archived