IGNORED

The Right Profile

Silvio Dante

(Just because I have the Clash on in the background)

So, If all goes as envisaged we may have on board Watkins, Webster & Marriott by the end of the week. This is a marked sea change from recruiting on punts from abroad, or looking at promising prem youngsters a la January. We’re talking a highly rated player at a club at the same level, the most sought after player from the division below and someone who the season before last performed at this level.

We can argue that undoubtedly experience was needed to replace the departures, but in the case of Webster and Marriott, these are young-ish players that can hit the ground running.

So, my question is, has LJ wrestled the recruitment tiller from MA? We’re looking at a different profile of players from the last window so some kind of change in mindset has arisen. Is it now the right profile and not Engvall, Eliasson and (yep) Mags who may not adapt quickly enough to this level?

(Montgomery Clift, Honey - RIP Joe)

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

(Just because I have the Clash on in the background)

So, If all goes as envisaged we may have on board Watkins, Webster & Marriott by the end of the week. This is a marked sea change from recruiting on punts from abroad, or looking at promising prem youngsters a la January. We’re talking a highly rated player at a club at the same level, the most sought after player from the division below and someone who the season before last performed at this level.

We can argue that undoubtedly experience was needed to replace the departures, but in the case of Webster and Marriott, these are young-ish players that can hit the ground running.

So, my question is, has LJ wrestled the recruitment tiller from MA? We’re looking at a different profile of players from the last window so some kind of change in mindset has arisen. Is it now the right profile and not Engvall, Eliasson and (yep) Mags who may not adapt quickly enough to this level?

(Montgomery Clift, Honey - RIP Joe)

I think LJ admitted last season we focused too much on the future in summer 2016, last season Diedhiou, Baker, Pisano, Steele showed the shift towards established players with Eliasson then the punt from the permanent deals and we see that continuing this summer, January I think we just tried going with what we had largely but that's been done to death on here. 

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

So, my question is, has LJ wrestled the recruitment tiller from MA? We’re looking at a different profile of players from the last window so some kind of change in mindset has arisen. 

I think the new mindset should be the dawning realisation that if you sell your best players you will be a worse team than you were before. Therefore you need to try and buy established talent rather than up and coming kids with potential

I bet LJ is shitting it a bit right now

Firstly great track.

Secondly I think we are now on to Plan C, lots of our signings from abroad simply haven’t worked (a few have), so we are on to a hybrid of Brentford’s recruitment plan with a bit more money to spend than them and fewer Scandinavians..

The answer to your question is yes. Control has been wrestled from Ashton and his blinkered belief in his supercomputer. 

I was told back in May that conversations had been had about LJ getting more control and that the Swedish ‘experiment’ was effectively over. 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Often better value in the foreign market- anecdotal evidence often has shown this down the years.

Problem we're crap at utilising it.

Gonna say pretty much the same tho some clubs are very good at it, must look at our staff

1 minute ago, alexukhc said:

Gonna say pretty much the same tho some clubs are very good at it, must look at our staff

I just prefer a mixed approach tbh- what works works. Clearly our recent ventures abroad have not necessarily paid off though.

@GrahamC Brentford sign foreign players you know.. Scandinavian? Think they even have a Denmark defender at WC. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I just prefer a mixed approach tbh- what works works. Clearly our recent ventures abroad have not necessarily paid off though.

@GrahamC Brentford sign foreign players you know.. Scandinavian? Think they even have a Denmark defender at WC. 

Brentford also don’t have an academy or youth side, but a B team who play friendlies abroad and players they buy for the future send them on loan

43 minutes ago, Harry said:

The answer to your question is yes. Control has been wrestled from Ashton and his blinkered belief in his supercomputer. 

I was told back in May that conversations had been had about LJ getting more control and that the Swedish ‘experiment’ was effectively over. 

The supercomputer seems to be bugged in evaluating the attributes of the Swedish 7-aside league and weight against the Champ.  The French computation used to be used in Anger(s), but swapped Operating System to (pine)Apple Mac OS when we signed Diony.

Out of interest do you wonder whether Brexit and future Work Permits might becoming a factor?

No problem with foreign players as long as they're the likes of kodjia and diedhiou. Obvious talent and experienced but with a price tag while still being cheaper (much better value too) than equavilant English players. Less 'punts' and 'ones for the future' and more like this please!

Otherwise we should stick to English leagues for those brought in for a few years time.

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That was why I described it as a hybrid with fewer Scandinavians..

Archived