IGNORED

Kelly and Vyner

westred1

Just now, phantom said:

So give me an example @JamesBCFC when we have ever done this

You need to read what @RedM has written above

It's literally what we are doing right now.

Flint being Player A

Webster (or whoeved the  replacement is) is Player B

I can't give a previous example because it's a fairly recent strategy for us and it's taken until now for us to develop a players quality a significant amount.

Otherwise look at Brentford, they started doing this before we did and use a different identification method for finding players but the overall strategy is pretty similar.

Just now, phantom said:

But that's my point, we bring players in improve them then sell them. 

We need to be keeping these players otherwise we're not going to improve 

Yeah, lets keep a player who wont improve any further. Instead of signing someone who may not be the same quality at this moment in time, but in a season or two will be a better player.

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

To me what @JamesBCFChas written looks more like football manager/looks good on paper than what I wrote

Well no.

I was writing what the club are trying to do.

I'm not saying it is guarenteed to work every time, and there are several things that may prevent a player meeting the potential they are expected to reach.

It's also similar to what Brentford do, but they started doing it a good few years before us. Hasn't fared too badly for them.

The difference with us is we are probably able to spend a bit more money on these players to develop which means (in theory) players with a higher potential may be in our reach but beyond Brentfords.

28 minutes ago, phantom said:

But we as a club have improved since we brought these players in? We've improved as a club since we sold Kodjia for millions, we've improved since we let Abraham go. Players come and go all the time, at the moment we keep getting stronger. 

The only club that doesn't end up eventually selling their biggest asset is Real Madrid. Liverpool sold Coutinho and only got better as the season wore on. Tottenham sold Bale, restructured the club and are now in an infinitely better position. It's nowhere near as simple as "this guy was good for us, if we lose him we'll be bad".

25 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Well no.

I was writing what the club are trying to do.

I'm not saying it is guarenteed to work every time, and there are several things that may prevent a player meeting the potential they are expected to reach.

It's also similar to what Brentford do, but they started doing it a good few years before us. Hasn't fared too badly for them.

The difference with us is we are probably able to spend a bit more money on these players to develop which means (in theory) players with a higher potential may be in our reach but beyond Brentfords.

The last time I looked Brentford were still in the Championship.

3 hours ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Bulletproof logic. We took Flint from mediocre League 1 player to top end Championship player, at a point where he'll barely get better, probably worse, and sold him for good money. We took Bobby Reid from struggling League 2 midfielder to one of the top scorers in the Championship, and sold him for huge money.

We made Bobby, simple.

5 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

You say that like it's a bad thing. They're a comfortable, structured side. All the sides that go up to the Premier League either have that good club structure or stupid money.

5 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

But they werent when they started using this.

They were also a side who would usually struggle if they did get a Championship season, they are pretty well established now.

1 minute ago, Luxo Jr. said:

You say that like it's a bad thing. They're a comfortable, structured side. All the sides that go up to the Premier League either have that good club structure or stupid money.

Exactly this.

Previous times in the Championship Brentford have been a side that struggles for a year or two before being relegated.

Using their strategy that they are currently they were comfortably promoted from League 1 and been top half Championship every season since.

• Admin
14 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

But we as a club have improved since we brought these players in? We've improved as a club since we sold Kodjia for millions, we've improved since we let Abraham go. Players come and go all the time, at the moment we keep getting stronger. 

Would you honestly say we are a better team today than the day we got promoted under Cotts?

3 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

You are using completely flawed logic, perhaps deliberately.

Player A gets sold.

Player B is signed with a higher potential ability than Player A

After a few seasons Player B is sold

Player C is signed with a higher potential ability than Player B.

It is about improving the squad over time in a sustainable way, rather than mimicing Aston Villa or Derby.

Glad to see you are digging still @JamesBCFC at @phantom

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Absolutely, without a question.

Easily and even with flint reid bryan and Magnússon gone and discounting webster still a better side than our first season up. Sometimes need to take a step back to take 2-3 forward

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Would you honestly say we are a better team today than the day we got promoted under Cotts?

Are you kidding? As much as I was a fan of Wilbraham, Diedhiou is better. We have exciting young players like O Dowda and Brownhill, our flair player (Paterson) is far better than JET, and better than Freeman too, I personally prefer Pisano to Mark Little, Djuric is a better striker than Agard, Taylor is a better back-up striker to Wes Burns, Baker is a better centre back than any of the ones we had when we were promoted (Ayling, Williams, even close to Flint).

It's also not a fair comparison when we've let two of our biggest players go and have had about 2 hours to start replacing them. I think Webster has every chance to be better than Flint, we could very well bring in Marriott, an exciting talent, and we look to be bringing in more quick, attacking players.

Obviously we need to recruit more, but this is just how football works. Your players do really well, a bigger club wants them, you regroup, you attract better quality players yourself, you progress.

The Cotterill season was great, but we are leaps and bounds ahead, no matter how negative you may feel right now.

5 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Glad to see you are digging still @JamesBCFC at @phantom

Not making a dig.

I disagree and outlined why.

Saying someone is using flawed logic isnt a dig when literally pointing out the truth.

I have respect for Phantom and even had a pint with him at a match, that doesn't mean I have to agree with him on everything.

Your obsession with me is odd though, I'll politely ask you now to keep your stalking of me to on here.

3 hours ago, Super said:

Let's be honest we aren't going to be getting to the Prem anytime soon. Flint obviously thinks Boro have a better chance than us and offered him a lot more money. No brainer really.

i agree with this  Flint also isnt getting any younger....  shall be interesting to see where City end up compared to Boro.

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Yes we are twice the team we were back then,

we’ve improved season upon season 

Its not even close.

Even the players who are still here are vastly improved on their quality compared to when we were promoted.

Add in the fact that we can actually fill the subs bench too!

1 minute ago, westred1 said:

Anywaaaaay, do we sign an experienced LB to compete with Kelly or another youngster (I.e. what was rumoured in McQueen)?

Vyner is heading out on loan. A good loan too.

Highly experienced 'stop gap' for me, player who'll fill his spot in the squad when he's not 100% fit.

Experienced pro who he can learn from directly and be influenced mentally would be ideal. How realistic it is that we'll find a mythical, superb pro, old left back willing to come here on reasonable wages, I don't know.

19 hours ago, westred1 said:

Anywaaaaay, do we sign an experienced LB to compete with Kelly or another youngster (I.e. what was rumoured in McQueen)?

Vyner is heading out on loan. A good loan too.

Signing any left back that isn't going to be backup to Kelly would be a big mistake. 

What makes it a good loan?

23 hours ago, phantom said:

I think there’s a slightly different option that we’re not quite seeing, we may never in fact.

Just take the the simple £s of Flint and Webster because it suits my argument / the maths!

Flint £7m (and I know there is money to Swindon - i’m Ignoring that!)

Webster £3.5m who we hope will be better than Flint.

What we should be doing us either buying another Webster with the £3.5m left over, so that when Webster 1 goes for £10 in 3 seasons, Webster 2 is still here.

Rather than just following the A, B, C model mentioned, we need to adopt A buys 2xB, B buys 2xC (4Cin total).  It’s got to be progressive or it don’t ever improve you.

Archived