IGNORED

Goodbye Bobby Reid - signed for Cardiff now official

JasonM88

2 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

So you are all in favour of us becoming a factory outfit for the stars, then? as long as it works and brings in money you've no issue on us not keeping people that could get us in the PL and stay there?

I’m not going to stress too much about it on 27th June, no..!

If come August/September, we haven’t signed capable replacements, then I’ll agree with you. 

6 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

No one thinks we won’t bring in replacements , hopefully our fun starts soon and it’s incomings not outgoings 

I agree however the real concern has to be around the quality of those replacements.

If , as looks likely, Bob goes and is then followed by Joe, that is 3 guaranteed starters that need to be replaced.

I have little faith that we will recruit at the same level of quality nor will we spend the money needed to do so.

It is also a concern that these players would appear to want to leave, yes money will be a factor but equally ambition, and I strongly suspect they see their personal ambitions as more likely to be met elsewhere. 

IF that is the case, and I am mostly certainly not ITK , that would be of much greater concern.

The next few weeks will tell us a lot about the clubs true level of ambition.

13 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Transfer fee Outlay on Mags, Flint & Bobby = £2million

Transfer fee Income on Mags, Flint & Bobby =£20million  

Yes, let’s shoot the bloke who in charge of business dealings..! 

Except we didn't buy Bobby and Ashton didn't buy Flint. He recouped his money on Mags and he recouped it on Tomlin. That's all he's done.

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Tell you what, if we don’t sign replacements, THEN I’ll look you in the eye and tell you I’m not happy. 

Exactly let’s see what comes in now , we certainly have a war chest , I do think though that if Bobby goes as well today then Johnson / Ashton had to speak to the press to explain and give an idea of plans to bring players in etc  , and that needs to be quick , might help in that there back in tomorrow 

17 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

£10m for a player who with respect has had one good season and with only a year left on contract, great business I think.  Yeh never want to see players go but this gives hope to younger players in academy and we have survived the last 3 seasons selling our top striker, this is somewhere the recruitment has worked

This.

I’d be more annoyed if we had witnessed a repeat of the Maynard situation with Bobby going for peanuts in January. 

Shows we’re learning by our mistakes if anything. 

52 minutes ago, Keepers Ball said:

If this happens then it goes to show how much the club thinks of its own fans. 

That rivalry with Cardiff and yet Lansdown and Co are happy to go with it? And Reid himself?

Sorry but a complete kick in the teeth as far as I'm concerned

Money talks mate.. rivalries aside and a geographical one at that. With a year left on a contract and not a proven goalscorer at championship level, 10mil is an incredible amount of money. If you put your heart aside I think you'll agree.

31 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

@JonLansdown via Twitter - 38 secs ago

#AnnounceDiony :ph34r:

FFS has he actually posted that. I really don't think our Vice Chairman should be making a cheap joke out of what amounted to an appalling signing that significantly impacted upon our season. I know he's "young" but that is immature beyond belief. Someone give him a shirt to draw on or something.

Good business if it happens. 

You can question who we have bought in recent years but based on rumoured targets we have learned a lesson. Adelakun, Marriott, Webster, Clarke, Adomah, Watkins. There are still bargains out there and we seem to be trying to find them in this country this summer. Hopefully we can be a bit optimistic this time around though this is probably the last chance they will get before it gets ugly

Just now, Olé said:

FFS has he actually posted that. I really don't think our Vice Chairman should be making a cheap joke out of what amounted to an appalling signing that significantly impacted upon our season. I know he's "young" but that is immature beyond belief. Someone give him a shirt to draw on or something.

He hasn't.

So he's not making any such cheap jokes. But obviously he's fair game for a childish jibe.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Except we didn't buy Bobby and Ashton didn't buy Flint. He recouped his money on Mags and he recouped it on Tomlin. That's all he's done.

Agree with you from start to finish with a player. But to get up to £10m for Reid with a year left on his contract, and £11m plus addons for Kodjia last year shows we aren’t pushovers when it comes to selling. Ashton does take some credit for that, as much as he is criticised for the Scandinavian purchases.

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

he's not allowed pens...

• Admin
1 minute ago, Hampshire reds said:

20 million. maybe 8 or 9 for Bryan. we should be able to get some real quality in with all this money. the question i ask is lee the right man to spend it. 

No evidence up to now that him or Ashton can be trusted to sign any real quality that will improve our team

Remember that this is the same Mark Ashton that said it was always best to "do your business early and don't let anyone leave unless you've got a replacement to come in for them"

5 minutes ago, Olé said:

He didn’t really post that!

2 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

20 million. maybe 8 or 9 for Bryan. we should be able to get some real quality in with all this money. the question i ask is lee the right man to spend it. 

Answers to the quiz can be found at the bottom of the page.

oN ˙∀

43 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

I agree that replacing the goals is not easy, but we have been managing it year on year for a while now.

Abraham, Kodjia, Wilbraham and Baldock were our previous top scorers (all with 20 goals or upwards) and each has been replaced. 

I'm not saying it will be easy, but it is possible. 

Also, Diedhiou's rate of scoring was better last season than Reid's, so if he is fit all season that may help. We will need others to chip in of course.

Diedhiou will have a 6 game rest don’t forget, we could be lagging behind and not catch up all season. Or we could find another partnership flourishing? 

1 minute ago, Red Army 87 said:

Agree with you from start to finish with a player. But to get up to £10m for Reid with a year left on his contract, and £11m plus addons for Kodjia last year shows we aren’t pushovers when it comes to selling. Ashton does take some credit for that, as much as he is criticised for the Scandinavian purchases.

He takes some credit, and he is an improvement, and we were useless in this department previously. However, let's be honest values are largely dictated by the market which has gone mad in the last 2/3 years.

As you say 'start to finish' with a players value messrs O'Driscoll and Cotterill look like they have rather healthy bank balances. Same can't be said for messrs Johnson and Ashton at the moment, and the signs don't look great...

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He’s still in charge of things now. It’s hardly his fault he wasn’t here when we signed some of our players. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, RonWalker said:

For City... £10m is a lot of money. It’s difficult to turn that down, as that’s probably above his market value and we will lose him for zilch in a year. We don’t know if he’s asked to leave

Trouble is £10m won't be that in our pocket - probably just over half that with various clauses bumping it up - like Cardiff staying in the Prem

As for him wanting to leave . . . .well he had a new contract on the table for many months and didn't sign, hardly the sign of someone intending to stay

9 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Care to say what your great conspiracy is rather than what appears to be some nudge, nudge, wink, wink type words? 

In the simplest terms, he has shown more ambition to put himself in a position of authority over the league than he has done to keep Bristol City in the position to repeat the first half of last season or improve on it.

Unless I see or hear him speak up about it mentioning how he would commit himself to both roles, i have nothing to change my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Exactly let’s see what comes in now , we certainly have a war chest , I do think though that if Bobby goes as well today then Johnson / Ashton had to speak to the press to explain and give an idea of plans to bring players in etc  , and that needs to be quick , might help in that there back in tomorrow 

I don’t see the point in doing a press conference when there’s nothing meaningful to report. 

I’m sure they are working on it and I only really want to hear from them when there’s any real news. 

10 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I agree however the real concern has to be around the quality of those replacements.

If , as looks likely, Bob goes and is then followed by Joe, that is 3 guaranteed starters that need to be replaced.

I have little faith that we will recruit at the same level of quality nor will we spend the money needed to do so.

It is also a concern that these players would appear to want to leave, yes money will be a factor but equally ambition, and I strongly suspect they see their personal ambitions as more likely to be met elsewhere. 

IF that is the case, and I am mostly certainly not ITK , that would be of much greater concern.

The next few weeks will tell us a lot about the clubs true level of ambition.

This is exactly right. The players are bailing out of the project as they haven’t got faith in it anymore. Started with the January business and festered throughout the remaining games. Came to a head at one of the Easter games, Brentford and now we see the results.

Lets face it, as much as we love these guys as the spine of our team, they were not good enough to get us in the playoffs and were not not nearly good enough for the automatics. Bobby excluded, the fact that they others effectively down tools at times in the second half of the season waiting for moves leaves a bitter taste, as there was still an awful lot to p[lay for.

IMHO £25M for Flint, Booby, Bryan, Mags and possibly Pack is excellent business.

If the money is wisely invested in 4/5 quality players of £4/5M each, then we could (and ****ing should!) well be in a much stronger position to make the top 6.

Like others on here tho, I'm not full convinced by our scouting team's prowess especially in the foreign market where we can be mugged right off as evidenced by Diony, Engvall, Hegeler etc....

Interesting time to be a city fan !!

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

I don’t see the point in doing a press conference when there’s nothing meaningful to report. 

I’m sure they are working on it and I only really want to hear from them when there’s any real news. 

This. Since when are we in the business of publicly announcing our plans? Most of our signings are completely out of the blue and only break moments before they’re formally announced. 

47 minutes ago, Keepers Ball said:

If this happens then it goes to show how much the club thinks of its own fans. 

That rivalry with Cardiff and yet Lansdown and Co are happy to go with it? And Reid himself?

Sorry but a complete kick in the teeth as far as I'm concerned

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but the club have said previously that every player has a market value and that there will be a greater turnover of players.

Gone are the days are paying high prices for players who will not have little or no sell on value.

It doesn't matter whether its Cardiff or Crystal Palace, they are Premier League clubs with money to spend and invest.

Bobby wants to improve and with this move [if its true] he gets to stay local, pick up a significant & potentially life changing contract and play against the likes of Manchester City every week, you can't stand in his way just because its Cardiff.

As for the board, they've been proved right and realised the potential of an Academy player, vindicating all of the investment made.

The trick is for the Board of Directors to maintain the focus and use the investment wisely so that not only do we stay at a competitive level as last season in the Championship but we improve and break in to the playoffs which has to be our aim next season.

I have to be candid and say unless we have a couple of A1 signings to replace the cornerstones leaving the club then we are in for a difficult year in an even more competitive environment. 

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

He’s still in charge of things now. It’s hardly his fault he wasn’t here when we signed some of our players. 

I didn't say it was! You were clearly making the connection between outlay and income in your post, when Ashton was not responsible for the transfer outlay. That is all I am pointing out. To get a true feel of his worth we need to see how his investments turn out imo...

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

No evidence up to now that him or Ashton can be trusted to sign any real quality that will improve our team

Remember that this is the same Mark Ashton that said it was always best to "do your business early and don't let anyone leave unless you've got a replacement to come in for them"

Difficult balance. We may have the replacements lined up, but don’t want to announce as we play into the buying teams hands. If we announce Marriott for example, Cardiff will say, we know you’re happy to sell Reid now, so tell you what the price is now £8m.

works both ways with buying a player as well, as using Marriott again, Peterborough could push the price up knowing we have £10m in the bank.

im hoping (and praying a bit) that we have already agreed deals for incoming and are just waiting for the sales to complete before announcing.

Archived