IGNORED

Goodbye Bobby Reid - signed for Cardiff now official

JasonM88

52 minutes ago, RedM said:

This is exactly right. The players are bailing out of the project as they haven’t got faith in it anymore. Started with the January business and festered throughout the remaining games. Came to a head at one of the Easter games, Brentford and now we see the results.

Fair enough RedM, but if true, I'm pleased that their going and we pick up good cash. 

Dont want em here if their hearts not in it 

everyone is replaceable and I believe we need a turnover of players to kick on

8 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I’d worry about who MA and LJ will conjure up..... 

admittedly there have been some reasonable signings: Baker, Taylor, O’Dowda, Famara...

but you could have a dream 11 like this:

Giefer

pisano

moore

hegeler

Magnússon

kent

walsh

o’neill

eliasson

diony

engvall

The signing strike rate needs to get much much better.

hopefully some signings are already in the bag (before clubs realise how much money we have generated).

when all else fails there is hope, hope that LJ can sell MA`s recruits to the fans or the very feint hope that he cannot and runs out of excuses by next March and leaves. :fingerscrossed:

£10m?  For a player that we would have quite happily let go for nothing at the start of last season, because he was "too lightweight" for midfield?  A player who cost us nothing?

I don't care whose money it is, that's a deal and a half.

From a fans' point of view, it's horrible. An academy product, Bristol born and bred, grown up wearing our shirt leaving for one of our biggest rivals - gut-wrenching. However, £10m for a player who has had one good goalscoring season? Can we really turn that down? No. But Cardiff? Agh!

From Bobby's point of view, it's logical. Yes, he came through our academy and was born in Bristol but he doesn't support the club. He's a Liverpool fan. Moving to Cardiff he can still live in Bristol, he'll get a massive pay rise and he'll get to live his dream of playing in the Premier League and at Anfield.

Will he succeed? Who cares? (If he moves to Cardiff)

All the best, Bobby? Nah.

14 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I’d worry about who MA and LJ will conjure up..... 

admittedly there have been some reasonable signings: Baker, Taylor, O’Dowda, Famara...

but you could have a dream 11 like this:

Giefer

pisano

moore

hegeler

Magnússon

kent

walsh

o’neill

eliasson

diony

engvall

The signing strike rate needs to get much much better.

hopefully some signings are already in the bag (before clubs realise how much money we have generated).

I'm a bit upset that we never got to see the Engvall / Diony  partnership!

1 hour ago, Olé said:

1. It's £2m more than the £8m that others were offering - I'd be prepared to swallow that if it wasn't coming from a club who has routinely spunked that sort of difference on Engvall. Or Eliasson. Or Moore.

This is what has been worrying me about our recruitment as well. Our "big" signings (e.g. Diedhiou) seem to have been ok and taking a punt on the likes of Taylor and Hegeler for a couple of hundred thousand seems reasonable. However, we seem to have wasted  money on players who have individually cost us £1 million plus - not a huge amount for some clubs but I'd say a significant sum for us. 

27 minutes ago, phantom said:

Interesting it's the last of Cott's promotion winning team

Have new signings struggled to gel with this core of players, or maybe these players are not paid as well as those being brought in around them?

Korey Smith, Marlon Pack, Frankie Fielding?

On your second point, this is a very interesting question. We've consistently depended on the longer standing players from that campaign even recently, and the core of the team until this week had still been that group that Cotterill forged, not LJ.

Notwithstanding the obvious deals this summer, I would hate to think LJ or MA see it as a mission to transition completely from that old team as it's been them that were the better players, and I would be particularly alarmed if LJ sees this as the way to create "his team" because:

a) he was insisting a year ago when things were going well that this was already his team (and certainly after 30 odd players you'd hope so)

b) the fact we haven't built a NEW nucleus/core of the team, is down to LJ, who consistently signs younger/malleable players because they're easier to manage, despite this meaning they're also not leaders or personalities in the dressing room who'd conceivably create a new nucleus or social group

So while I would love to know what incompatibility has existed between that original core and other players, I think the real issue is LJ's.

6 minutes ago, ROSEBUD RED said:

Fair enough RedM, but if true, I'm pleased that their going and we pick up good cash. 

Dont want em here if their hearts not in it 

everyone is replaceable and I believe we need a turnover of players to kick on

Yes it seems odd to me that players allegedly downed tools. If true it doesn't say much for their professionalism or pride in their performance.

If only I could sulk and let my boss carry the can. ;)

4 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

£10m?  For a player that we would have quite happily let go for nothing at the start of last season, because he was "too lightweight" for midfield?  A player who cost us nothing?

I don't care whose money it is, that's a deal and a half.

I get the sentiment but you can also look at it from the other extreme view, £10m for a player who has finished the season as our top goalscorer scoring 9 goals and assisting 7, years spent getting him to where he is from the academy...

I've got no issue with him going for £10m, nor to Cardiff but I can understand his value and why many would expect more. How many English players scored more than 15 goals in the Championship last season and more importantly how much would they go for?

Great move for Bobby and much deserved after a great season. Whether it’s to Cardiff or Man Utd the lure of PL football is enough for anyone. 

Also think a massive shoutout to LJ who had made a player whose value was circa 250k this time last year dramatically increase and gain the club 10m. 

Hoping we find a suitable replacement but it certainly isn’t doom and gloom seeing as we have 20m+ to spend now

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

You run the risk of being this season's winner of the 'Bobby Reid will never score goals' award there Graham. ;):thumbsup:

Based on 3 goals in 32 Championship games I’ll take that “risk”.

2 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Great move for Bobby and much deserved after a great season. Whether it’s to Cardiff or Man Utd the lure of PL football is enough for anyone. 

Also think a massive shoutout to LJ who had made a player whose value was circa 250k this time last year dramatically increase and gain the club 10m. 

Hoping we find a suitable replacement but it certainly isn’t doom and gloom seeing as we have 20m+ to spend now

Lets see how and if it is spent.

There is every chance that will be a complete fxxk up!

1 hour ago, Always Ashton Red said:

I haven't once said its not a good deal for him or the club. I am merely stating that a City boy who has been with us for a very long time leaving us to join one of if not the worst rivals we have under possibly the most hated manager of us. My opinion... as a fan... :yawn:

I don’t hate Warnock, I know plenty of Bristol City fans who admire him as a person and for his record....don’t fall for the media persona and hype...

1 minute ago, Bs4Red said:

1. Forum rules forbid giving LJ credit.:whistle2:

2. We will not spend all the money we raise from sales, it would defeat the object.

3. Marriott is highly possible as we can meet the valuation and still be £4-5m to the good.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Whilst I agree you can actually apply this to Southampton and their business deals but look how that has ended for them.... relegation because they just didn't have the quality left to compete. It's good to turn a profit but you still need the quality in the squad.

Southampton didn’t get relegated...they are a premier league club....

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

State of these people saying Taylor is Reid’s replacement.

He’s a League One player.

Agree that he won’t and can’t be a direct replacement for Bob (and have said so already today elsewhere) however MT is better than League 1 I think and his all round performances I believe have shown that so far. Think he’ll get better as well and continue to prove a valuable squad player. It’s not just the goals but his all round work rate and abbrasivensss. All imo of course!

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

1. Forum rules forbid giving LJ credit.:whistle2:

2. We will not spend all the money we raise from sales, it would defeat the object.

3. Marriott is highly possible as we can meet the valuation and still be £4-5m to the good.

Haha my bad I forgot no credit is allowed. 

My money point was that it is there. We certainly won’t spend anywhere near 10m+ but with Bryan also on his way I guess that’s more money.

Dont think Marriot would be a bad signing 

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Based on 3 goals in 32 Championship games I’ll take that “risk”.

I was being tongue in cheek of course, hence the emojis.

Never say never though, he will be in the frame if he gets a full pre-season in as LJ rates him.

I believe that we will sign a replacement for Bobby though.

Archived