IGNORED

Goodbye Bobby Reid - signed for Cardiff now official

JasonM88

7 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Nope me neither. Bloke has one good season refuses to extend his contract and Colin offers 10m. What are you going to do if youre City. No brainier 

I don't care either, it's a good move for him, no point treading water with us for maybe a year or two, get yourself in the Prem quick as poss, good fee for City too. 

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yeh ‘whooshball’ - so many blinkered, bandwagon views on Cardiff...have a look at this from 34 secs in.....

Obviously they can play on the deck but it was hoofball when we went to theirs. 

Either way it's been effective for them and I can see Bobby working well running into the gaps off of a target man

8 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Obviously they can play on the deck but it was hoofball when we went to theirs. 

Either way it's been effective for them and I can see Bobby working well running into the gaps off of a target man

And our tactics were as much to blame that day don’t forget!

Outstanding business for City as he may 1. Prove a one season wonder like so many and

2. May well fail to make an impact in top flight.

Plus excellent business for himself whatever the outcome

So everyone happy and onwards City go.

Thought we would lose Bobby and he deserves a go at the prem, just a shame its going to Baadiff and a relegation battle. 

They may be getting all excited signing our top scorer, but perhaps look back a year and see what happened when Tammy went into the Prem on the back of a similar run and how well it went with Swansea, who were a much better team than Baadiff. Although I will say Bobby brings much more than just goals.

Would have been good to see what Bobby could have done in a settled mid table prem team

12 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Wondered if they might have been interested.

Ideal move for him if true, no need presumably to leave BS5, a decent fee which along with the Magnússon, Flint (& presumably Bryan?) money we now need to re-invest.

Think if he joins them though it answers the question as to how much of a fan he is..

Bit harsh Graham....not sure where BR has stated he is a City fan?

no brainier for him getting a shot at the prem. I wish him all the very best. I couldn’t care less it’s Cardiff either. I dislike them but they ain’t the g*s. It’s great business for us given he has a year left to run and has had one good season. In all honesty I’m not sure he’s up to the prem but we will see.

good luck bobby I say.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Cardiff don’t play whooshball. So many sucked into believing that.  They are physical, they play one / two touch stuff, not tiki-taka I accept, but they play forward every time they can, as quickly as possible and into their wide-men as much as possible.

So they play vertically? Which essentially is getting the ball forward into the opposition half as quickly as possible using the least amount of passes and hitting Zohore frequently with long balls. Cardiff out balls was hitting the centre forward not feet. Cardiff played the least amount of accurate passes in the championship, they had the worst passing accuracy and passed the ball less than anybody. Only Barnsley had a higher % of long balls played, but Barnsley did pass the ball more.

It might not be whoosh, but it was certainly whooshy.

I like Bobby and like his attitude, but he was a bit of a one season wonder with one year left on his contract. If we didn't cash in on him now, he could go for nothing next year.

I'm sorry to see him go and hope he is a great success in the future,, though I think he might struggle a bit in the prem. He certainly wont score 20 next season.

For Baadiff it is a decent gamble bearing in mind the money they will get as a result of promotion.

5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

So they play vertically? Which essentially is getting the ball forward into the opposition half as quickly as possible using the least amount of passes and hitting Zohore frequently with long balls. Cardiff out balls was hitting the centre forward not feet. Cardiff played the least amount of accurate passes in the championship, they had the worst passing accuracy and passed the ball less than anybody. Only Barnsley had a higher % of long balls played, but Barnsley did pass the ball more.

It might not be whoosh, but it was certainly whooshy.

Whooshy:P

Great left winger him!!!

Seriously though, don’t disagree, but it wasn’t everything up to Zahore....their use of early balls to Hoilett and Mendez-Laing (and Zahore) stretches the game, that in some way means the passes are longer,but not like aimless punts of John Beck / Dave Bassett team.  There was purpose to their passing, 1 x 20 yard pass rather that 10 x 5 yard passes back and forth to achieve the same 20 yards. 

Any stats on the two wingers above in terms of dribbles, crosses, completed crosses etc?  And his those compare to the rest of the Champ.

1 hour ago, Taylor10 said:

Bit harsh Graham....not sure where BR has stated he is a City fan?

no brainier for him getting a shot at the prem. I wish him all the very best. I couldn’t care less it’s Cardiff either. I dislike them but they ain’t the g*s. It’s great business for us given he has a year left to run and has had one good season. In all honesty I’m not sure he’s up to the prem but we will see.

good luck bobby I say.

My arse. Hope he's shit for them.

23 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

My arse. Hope he's shit for them.

Why is that? Just because it's Cardiff?

I don't really care that much where he's gone. If he does well at Cardiff and gets another big move, we'd get more money through a sell on clause.

It's in our interest for him to do well there, just as it is for Flint at Middlesbrough.

The brilliant news is that Tomlin is not part of the deal.

Looking from a fan's perspective, I'm not sure if I would think that £10 whole million spent on a player with one outstanding season only is anything other than risky.

This face does not look bovvered.

If ANYONE  had said this time last year that our very own Bobby would leave for £10 million within a year they would have been laughed off the forum.

The role LJ has played in this gives me a bit more confidence albeit only a bit.

6 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Why is that? Just because it's Cardiff?

I don't really care that much where he's gone. If he does well at Cardiff and gets another big move, we'd get more money through a sell on clause.

It's in our interest for him to do well there, just as it is for Flint at Middlesbrough.

Yeah, because it's Cardiff.

I won't wish him every success in his new venture because it's the same as wishing Cardiff success in the Premier League.

If he does well but Cardiff don't I'd be delighted mind. 

15 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Looking from a fan's perspective, I'm not sure if I would think that £10 whole million spent on a player with one outstanding season only is anything other than risky.

If ANYONE  had said this time last year that our very own Bobby would leave for £10 million within a year they would have been laughed off the forum.

The role LJ has played in this gives me a bit more confidence albeit only a bit.

Remember the derision when LJ said Reid could be a £5m player?

Turns out he is a £10m player. So LJ got it wrong again. ;)

9 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Remember the derision when LJ said Reid could be a £5m player?

Turns out he is a £10m player. So LJ got it wrong again. ;)

Hell he’d be 12-15m with 2 more years on his contract instead of 1

Also imagine if LJ’s comments all doubled. We’d be in europe this year

31 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I remember LJ saying 'if Reid adds goals to his game he'd be a 5m player' and people laughed at that! - That quote doesn't get dragged up as often as ones which paint LJ in a bad light though..

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I remember LJ saying 'if Reid adds goals to his game he'd be a 5m player' and people laughed at that! - That quote doesn't get dragged up as often as ones which paint LJ in a bad light though..

A broken clock is right twice a day. His nostradamus predictions dont help us when we can barely get a win for months at a time.

1 minute ago, simon uk said:

A broken clock is right twice a day. His nostradamus predictions dont help us when we can barely get a win for months at a time.

A pretty big call to make at the time though. He obviously saw something in Reid that many of our own fans, myself included, couldn't. 

It will be a very interesting season seeing how Bobby gets on.

I wish him all the best (individually not for his team) but am very much in the ‘has been well looked after over difficult years then jumps ship after one good season’ camp.

What will be interesting is whether the encouragement and support he obviously got from LJ in particular and the Bristol City ‘comfort blanket’ is taken away whether the newly emerged Bobby continues to shine in the Warnock world with all the accompanying pressures or whether the old Bobby re-emerges if things don’t go so well against Premier League defenders and where with a £10m price tag fans may not be so forgiving with him not being ‘one of their own’.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Whooshy:P

Great left winger him!!!

Seriously though, don’t disagree, but it wasn’t everything up to Zahore....their use of early balls to Hoilett and Mendez-Laing (and Zahore) stretches the game, that in some way means the passes are longer,but not like aimless punts of John Beck / Dave Bassett team.  There was purpose to their passing, 1 x 20 yard pass rather that 10 x 5 yard passes back and forth to achieve the same 20 yards. 

Any stats on the two wingers above in terms of dribbles, crosses, completed crosses etc?  And his those compare to the rest of the Champ.

Without wanting to sounding rude. Cardiff passes are long and frequent. 

image.png.de72c0f7838719e24cdaa586d268b1b0.png

Attached is Cardiff City passing map v Derby. It is lopsided. There is a lack of passing in the centre of the pitch because it is bypassed. It is a long passing team.

image.png.bb018b0ccefc231c0983823fa5ed2b7e.png

Here is Fulham's map v Millwall. A short passing team.

Both maps display different purposes. Cardiff go vertical looking to get a foothold in territory by frequent vertical (long/whooshes/targetted) penetration it is in line with Beck/Bassett and pomo only not as overt. Any team who lose the ball as frequently a Cardiff can only at times be punting it - Mr Warnock instructs them to. 

Fulham look to probe and move the opposition to gain that territory. Both are playing invasion football very very differently.

I started on a comparison matrix for Hoilett … Then gave up because my head was going to explode. Summary he is very good and near the top at assists and chances created.

19 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

A pretty big call to make at the time though. He obviously saw something in Reid that many of our own fans, myself included, couldn't. 

And then worked with him to deliver it. He doesn’t get much credit for that IMO. 

Archived