IGNORED

Goodbye Bobby Reid - signed for Cardiff now official

JasonM88

1 hour ago, Spike said:

For all the people attacking him for doing the Ayatollah he's no longer our player, he has to appeal to the fans of the club he plays for and being as many of them are loving this picture it's obviously working. If you quit one job to go to a rival company you wouldn;t walk in and be like "screw you guys, I'm not doing that, it'll upset my previous employer" and risk being hated by everyone at your new job. 
The club got £10m for him, he could have gone for £500k and we would have been happy this time last year so let's not play the victim or abuse the guy. He worked hard this season and now he's been given a platform to perform at the highest level of English football. If next year a club offers £30m for him after a great first season and he moves again would you still hate him knowing we got a nice sell on clause in place?

Honestly, Bobby got his fair share of abuse here when he wasn't performing, now he takes his opportunity to move up in his career and suddenly everyone is acting like he was our hero, he only got that status this season.

Yes it's a bloody bitter pill to swallow where he's gone but I honestly don't see many, if any, other Premier League clubs offering what Cardiff did so the way I see it is he's no longer our player, he can have a bluebird tattoo for all I care but he's earned that chance and he's got the club a nice wedge of cash to reinvest, now my only concern is can I trust Ashton and Johnson to reinvest it well...

^This

Just now, BlueDredd said:

If he's scored 19 goals, and had 7 assists in a 46 game season, how does that calculate to 1 in 5?... He scored on average 2.42 goals for you in every 5 games, and 1.5 assists in every 10 games.

You've definitely got a great deal out of this.. But it easily has the potential to be a great deal for both parties.

I actually think you've bought quite well this window. Josh Murphy and Reid will adapt very well to the Prem in my opinion. If you give Reid game time, and play him in a similar role to what he's played here - I think he could be really useful for you.

Playing in the Prem obviously you won't expect much possession, and this will suit Reid. He'll harry and press defences and make opportunities out of that. Needs a big battering ram of a partner though to be most effective, Zohore would probably be ideal for that assuming he starts for you.

I've liked Murphy for a long time and also think he'll adapt. Cunningham will be a useful addition too, niggly little player but a good left back.

A nice message, and I wish him well. 

Obviously, it's not great that he went to Cardiff, but they were the only ones willing (or stupid enough) to spend £10m on a player with a year left on their contract. 

What was quite telling is that he moved to Cardiff for the Premier League. It's understandable, but it does raise the questions of why he was willing to do this now, instead of waiting to see if Bristol City can push on. He's young enough to have one more major move in him, so it's not a matter of time running out. For me, this is the biggest question that LJ and co need to answer. Can you guarantee that we progress, or do our players need to move on to taste success?

1 hour ago, Jacki said:

I’m struggling to remember an outgoing transfer that’s pissed me off more than this one. 

Thet grovelling video makes out he’s moving to a Premier League giant.... how depressing it is that we’ve fallen so far behind Cardiff in just a matter of months. And all that nonsense about loving the club, on the same day that he’s doing the Ayatollah! You couldn’t make it up. 

As I said yesterday, I totally get the commercial side of all this and £10m for a lad who was worth peanuts this time last year does make financial sense. But that doesn’t mean I have to like it. 

MA and LJ had better deliver top class replacements after this mass exodus of our best players because it could get poisonous pretty quickly if they don’t. 

I don’t normally get too excited either way about the comings and goings at BCFC but this one has really pissed me off. Sad times. 

Exactly my thoughts and the best post by far on this thread. Especially the highlighted part.

In January SL, LJ and MA let the fans down in a remarkable fashion and our season limped from challenging for 2nd place or the play offs into 22 games of relegationesque form and for me that is bordering on the unforgivable and players like Flint, Reid and Bryan must have realised then that they were treading water and destined to get nowhere at BCFC listening to the corporate bullshit and the seemingly making do with playing players out of position and piss poor tactics and team selection and substitutions during that period.

At one stage we were told that we had no leaders by LJ and 2 weeks later he gave another interview praising the character of his squad, it's utter bullshit.

Last season was a great chance in oh so many ways and it was thrown away by a lousy January window, because of our cup run and huge TV exposure and pundits blowing smoke up our arses, January should have been a breeze attracting players of quality and not the dross we ended up with.

We as fans should be entitled to some kind of honest explanation as to why January ended up so ****** up and our season disintegrated into such a disaster and not the usual corporate bullshit we get offered year by year.

I share your pain and I await another season of 2 halves, a great run followed by long seemingly never ending poor streak or of course vice versa and of course the usual amount of excuses.

# with all this money to spend surely it's about time to sign another Scandinavian to put into the AG BDSM humiliation dungeon?

Edit:- Sorry Bobby, all the best you deserve your break because you earned it, even though it's at Cardiff and you made the correct the decision and last season must have convinced you of that.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

My point is that this deal is not something they should be publishing any more than necessary given that our biggest rival is laughing at us. Hard. Especially when it’s all caused by our own failing. Massive misread of the mood to be posting farewell montages and lengthy articles talking about how we'll all miss him. 

Can anyone point me to the articles where Rovers did the same when we signed Taylor? No because even those six fingered clowns knew how to read the mood of the fan base. 

Lets be honest they would probably laughing more at links to this forum seeing how salty everyone is being - claims of one of our own / 18 years at the club etc and yet hardly anyone thanking Bobby or wishing him luck. Yes it's Cardiff, but Bobby has been clear he wants to play at the top, and this may be his only/last chance. He's no longer a youngster, and this could be his chance, as well as setting him and his family up for life financially. Next season he could be playing against Man Utd/City, Arsenal, Liverpool etc personally i am pleased for the lad and other Academy players will have taken note as well. It's not we have had a plethora of City players ever going on to play at the top.

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Message on social media from Bobby

“I’ve got ambitions and aspirations I want to fulfil and one of those is the Premier League and I have an opportunity now to showcase my talent on the big stage.

“I want you to understand that for any other reason it wouldn’t have been that.

“It’s the Premier League and I may only get one opportunity to play there.

“I didn’t want to let that pass me and regret that in the future.”

“The past 18 years since I was seven I’ve been with Bristol City and I’ve loved every single minute of it.

“I’ve shared every single moment with you and the memories we’ve made will live with me forever so I want to thank all for that.

“I gave everything on and off the field for the club, fans may hate me and fans may still like me.

“You’re all entitled to your own opinions and however you feel I’ll still love the club and will still be looking out for the results and hopefully the club can progress in the future.”

“I just want any of the players in the academy that are watching now to really work hard because there is a pathway for you at the club.

“If you are really ambitious, grounded and willing to work hard you will make it to the first team and stay there for a long time.

“Everyone [at the academy] has really helped me out, Raphael Burke, David Horseman, Pete Coleman and a special mention to Roger Barton who helped me in my early days.”

The Robins fan favourite ended with a last message for the whole club: “I love the club and the fans and I will forever support them.”

Fair play, I hope he still keeps in contact and pops in to see the lads as it may give a little aspiration, one thing the club really needs instead of this constant rebuilding / treading water mentality we seem to have.

Anyway, Congratulations on your move Bobby, good luck.

1 hour ago, BlueDredd said:

If he's scored 19 goals, and had 7 assists in a 46 game season, how does that calculate to 1 in 5?... He scored on average 2.42 goals for you in every 5 games, and 1.5 assists in every 10 games.

You've definitely got a great deal out of this.. But it easily has the potential to be a great deal for both parties.

31 goals in 158 games for the club, calculates to roughly 1 in 5. 

Just now, JBFC II said:

31 goals in 158 games for the club, calculates to roughly 1 in 5. 

I can't see why you'd look beyond the latest season. His form & value aren't based on those other 112 games.

As he sits currently, his form is very close to 1 in 2.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

I'm also basically just going to repeat what I said yesterday.

If having him go to Cardiff and do the Ayatollah for an the extra £1 or £2m to the club is so important (and I agree it normally should be), I trust that SL will be reprimanding everyone who has wasted similar sums on Engvall, Eliasson, Moore, and Diony (at a guess also £1m+ in salary and loan fee).

Or put another way, if this was the West Brom / Derby bid with one of those above players as makeweight, it wouldn't be such a great deal everyone is making out. LJ and MA have seemed happy to write off that amount countless times already on their experiments, why suddenly get precious now?

Screw the additional £1m or so when it means we get humiliated as one of the finest products of our system goes to a rival team who were our peers just six months ago. LJ and MA have seemed happy to write that amount off countless times already on their experiments, why get precious now.

I'd have let him go to WBA for £8m, they'll be going back up soon enough. And before anyone says but we don't have to play Bobby Reid this way. A) We all know he'll be back here the season after next in a Cardiff shirt (unless boy wonder gets us relegated). B) Didn't seem to matter for Flint, did it?

This is nonsense mate, come on. You’re saying because we’ve been wasteful with money before, screw a bid even if its £2m higher than any others we’ve received.

i think when you’ve calmed down you’ll realise how ridiculous that idea is.

5 minutes ago, BlueDredd said:

I can't see why you'd look beyond the latest season. His form & value aren't based on those other 112 games.

It shows that he could very easily be a one season wonder. Hope he isn't and he gets regular prem football with you and then maybe someone else if you go down but as a transfer this is a big risk for you looking beyond his one decent season

7 minutes ago, BlueDredd said:

I’d ignore the bitterness Dredd

Not sure how many goals he will find but he is as good as it gets in his fitness and work rate and closing down / pressing - a defenders nightmare in many respects

But he has quick feet and technique and much more than just a workhorse - He may not be a prolific scorer (He may get a few more than we think) but he’s a solid signing IMHO and NW will know exactly what he’s buying  and why and how he will use him

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Exactly my thoughts and the best post by far on this thread. Especially the highlighted part.

In January SL, LJ and MA let the fans down in a remarkable fashion and our season limped from challenging for 2nd place or the play offs into 22 games of relegationesque form and for me that is bordering on the unforgivable and players like Flint, Reid and Bryan must have realised then that they were treading water and destined to get nowhere at BCFC listening to the corporate bullshit and the seemingly making do with playing players out of position and piss poor tactics and team selection and substitutions during that period.

At one stage we were told that we had no leaders by LJ and 2 weeks later he gave another interview praising the character of his squad, it's utter bullshit.

Last season was a great chance in oh so many ways and it was thrown away by a lousy January window, because of our cup run and huge TV exposure and pundits blowing smoke up our arses, January should have been a breeze attracting players of quality and not the dross we ended up with.

We as fans should be entitled to some kind of honest explanation as to why January ended up so ****** up and our season disintegrated into such a disaster and not the usual corporate bullshit we get offered year by year.

I share your pain and I await another season of 2 halves, a great run followed by long seemingly never ending poor streak or of course vice versa and of course the usual amount of excuses.

# with all this money to spend surely it's about time to sign another Scandinavian to put into the AG BDSM humiliation dungeon?

Edit:- Sorry Bobby, all the best you deserve your break because you earned it, even though it's at Cardiff and you made the correct the decision and last season must have convinced you of that.

Spot on Edmond. And do much more eloquently put. My rants tend to focus on the ****** at the top - cue yawning by many :)

So BR has gone to Cardiff. His departure and that of Flint tells me all I need to know about ambition. 

They felt better off elsewhere. Even Cardiff and Middlesbrough. ******* hell.....

One season and we get 10 mil .fair enough leave but no need for the gif.what a **** .just remember Bob you still have to live and will be seen around no doubt.wouldnt piss on you if you was on fire after that giff. Least flint went with dignity! Remember you ain't proven yet one season and you think your god's gift go **** urself

Just now, Vil1 said:

One season and we get 10 mil .fair enough leave but no need for the gif.what a **** .just remember Bob you still have to live and will be seen around no doubt.wouldnt piss on you if you was on fire after that giff. Least flint went with dignity! Remember you ain't proven yet one season and you think your god's gift go **** urself

Jesus christ

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not sure how many goals he will find but he is as good as it gets in his fitness and work rate and closing down / pressing - a defenders nightmare in many respects

But he has quick feet and technique and much more than just a workhorse - He may not be a prolific scorer (He may get a few more than we think) but he’s a solid signing IMHO and NW will know exactly what he’s buying  and why and how he will use him

Indeed, he has a strong technique.

Clearly technical ability, pressing ability too- the excellence of the team when it was Paterson behind him, triggering the press as he did. Strong all round game IMO- 7 assists as well as his 19 goals last season, and an assist is as good as a goal arguably.

5 minutes ago, Vil1 said:

How nice...

Bobby before this season was only potential and did get given a fair go by a few managers... Last summer I still saw potential but to be frank wouldnt of be suprised to see him released...  So to think we have made 10 million on this guy is quite a statement.   No other manager tried putting him upfront and saw he had potential to be a great stiker... So people may moan at the club but Look at Kelly now coming through and possibly vyner too. Sadly we are victims are own sucess .... and until we make the step up.. we wont be able to keep hold of them no matter how long their contract is.

It is typical that he has signed for cardiff and for Colin but at least we wont play against next season him unlike flint, I will definetly be following his progress next season..... it shall be interesting if he played alot or just as a plan B.

good luck to him. Shame the board's ambition doesn't match that of the talent we've produced. Can't blame him for seeking a better payday, even if it is with Cardiff. Anyone who turns down the chance to score a nice earner, in whatever field of work, is a complete mug. 

I just hope we use the money generated from these sales wisely and push on forward - unfortunately, I'll be surprised if we do. 

Christ, so deflating to see our big players moving on, especially after all the hype about how everything was in place to really step up the next level. 

Kinda' questioning what the point of rebuilding AG was given the ambition we're showing. 

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

From what I've seen, he's a brilliant player at Championship level and is more than deserving of his chance.

Unless you've bought Harry Kane, or Sergio Aguero then there isn't a signing that's not a potential risk

Archived