IGNORED

England v Belgium what would you do?

daored

England v Belgium tonight both have qualified. Looks like both teams are going to make changes, would you ? Whoever finishes top potentially has a slightly easier looking run into semi finals. 

I would keep the back three , think they need game together.

Would play Alexander-Arnold and Rose as wingbacks , Dier instead of Henderson, Welbeck and Rashford for Sterling and Lingard. Would play Kane but only as got him as top goal scorer !!

Don’t like this concept of trying to engineer an ‘easy’ tie. People looking to the quarters and semis like we don’t have a last 16 side to play. 

Play your best team, win your games and make it a habit. Massively arrogant to expect a certain outcome based on certain fixtures when we have a history of bottling knock out football. 

1 minute ago, daored said:

Why second @Fordy62? Potential Brazil in QF 

No that’s if we win the group. If we come 2’d it’ll be Sweden or Switzerland in the QF but would still have to navigate a tricky last 16 game plus a semi final against (most likely) Spain or Croatia. 

It would be typical to try and engineer 2nd for the ‘easy’ route then go out to Sweden while Belgium hammer Brazil :laugh: 

Just now, BRISTOL86 said:

No that’s if we win the group. If we come 2’d it’ll be Sweden or Switzerland in the QF but would still have to navigate a tricky last 16 game plus a semi final against (most likely) Spain or Croatia. 

It would be typical to try and engineer 2nd for the ‘easy’ route then go out to Sweden while Belgium hammer Brazil :laugh: 

Don’t disagree but for me we win the group. Although I do think changes should be made , would certainly change the wing backs 

5 minutes ago, daored said:

Don’t disagree but for me we win the group. Although I do think changes should be made , would certainly change the wing backs 

Absolutely, I’d be going for a win personally tonight. Winning is a habit and I don’t want to be going into the last 16 having not won. 

I'd ring the changes but more a case of making sure it keeps everyone fresh, still play to win but should injuries come later in the tournament then we've given game time to as many players as possible already. 

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I'm still annoyed England didn't use a bit more intelligence and win only 5-0 Or 5-1 so we could get a draw v Belgium to keep 'momentum' and a great run in to the semis.

Anyone who looked at the results could see how it was panning out and so it has proven.

In fairness Kane wasn't trying to score that 6th goal!

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I'm still annoyed England didn't use a bit more intelligence and win only 5-0 Or 5-1 so we could get a draw v Belgium to keep 'momentum' and a great run in to the semis.

Anyone who looked at the results could see how it was panning out and so it has proven.

Pretty arrogant for England to think of it as an ‘easy’ run though. Ask Germany how easy their group is! 

The worst thing is a QF against Colombia or Senegal will be a stern test and is by no means a foregone conclusion, yet everyone’s talking like we’ve won it already. Trying to engineer what we do now based on thelikely opponent in a game which we may not even get to doesn’t sit too well with me. 

Not that it means too much in such an unpredictable tournament.. but some football stats boffin I follow on Twitter has calculated that if we win the group - we'd have a 20% chance of reaching a semi-final whereas if we finish second, that becomes a 54% chance.

Lots of variables of course but he's been incredibly accurate this World Cup.

32 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Don’t like this concept of trying to engineer an ‘easy’ tie. People looking to the quarters and semis like we don’t have a last 16 side to play. 

Play your best team, win your games and make it a habit. Massively arrogant to expect a certain outcome based on certain fixtures when we have a history of bottling knock out football. 

Should totally go for the win. I don't see an issue with us doing that by utilising the squad and maybe leaving out those players already on yellows

Leave out those with yellow cards but otherwise put out the strongest side and go for it. Winning breeds confidence and i have not seen any team this tournament that England should be concerned about.  Trying to engineer a result is utter b....cks. This World Cup is far too unpredictable to suggest there are ‘easier’ routes. 

I am for big changes and try and let as many players as possible have a run out and experience playing in the world cup. Not to try and engineer 2nd place, but if we need those players to step in during the later stages, at least they will have game time. If we lose with a different team, then oh well we made major changes, if you go full strength and lose to maybe a weakened Belgium team then that could really damage confidence

I've seen a lot of optimism about England's chances after the first two matches. That's fair enough because on the whole I think they've played quite well. I don't think they should be worried about the 'harder' side of the draw. If they get smashed by Belgium tonight the same press that are pontificating about how great they are will turn and suddenly whoever they meet in the next round will seem like a much more difficult game. Just keep winning matches, I haven't seen much for them to be afraid of so far.

32 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I don't see a Swedish QF as an easy prospect.. remind me when we last beat them

Obviously history is irrelevant really anyway, but:

Sweden have never beaten England in a major tournament (World Cup or Euros).

England beat Sweden the last time the two nations met in a major tournament. 3-2 in 2012.

46 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Sweden isn’t it?

Mind you we've only beaten Sweden twice in our last 15 attempts in 90 mins (2W 8D 5L). In fact we have a slightly better record against Brazil over the same period!  (3W 7D 5L) . Always thought our record against them was a bit shit, forever a pain in the backside to play against, didn't realise it was just that shit though.  

Some people seem to be a bit worried about England's record against Sweden should they go down to Belgium tonight but I think that Sweden - Switzerland is one of the closer ties in the last 16. I'd say that it's pretty much 50/50.

The Swedes have played better in the tournament so far but both progressed from tough groups and I think the Swiss have lost one game in 24 or something like that. England have won 16 of 24 meetings with the Swiss and haven't lost to them since 1981. Switzerland also lost their only ever World Cup penalty shootout 3-0.

8 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Some people seem to be a bit worried about England's record against Sweden should they go down to Belgium tonight but I think that Sweden - Switzerland is one of the closer ties in the last 16. I'd say that it's pretty much 50/50.

The Swedes have played better in the tournament so far but both progressed from tough groups and I think the Swiss have lost one game in 24 or something like that. England have won 16 of 24 meetings with the Swiss and haven't lost to them since 1981. Switzerland also lost their only ever World Cup penalty shootout 3-0.

I'm not worried but I guess I don't see Sweden much easier than Brazil.  As crazy as it sounds maybe our style would suit better against Brazil. 

Archived