IGNORED

Adam Webster - Now signed

BessexRED

Interesting comments from Ipswich fans

Unbelievable really. He's been probably the most promising player we've had over the past couple of years.. But on the other hand a decent profit. Personally I'd keep him and build a defence around him. 

I'm in two minds about this one. Webster is clearly a technically proficient player, but he is very injury-prone and I think his form is more inconsistent than some supporters believe. £5m would be a good bit of business, but £3.5m (potentially rising to £8m) which is now being reported is a little harder to swallow considering we bought him for £700,000 odd plus trading in Clarke. 

I agree that the fee has to be reinvested, otherwise we won't be able to compete. As for Webster, the number appearances for us (because of his injury problems) makes me think we might come out of this deal better off - 25 games out of 46 last season, 23 games out of 46 in the one before.

The info I have is that the medical team were very involved with this deal (more and earlier than normal). A fairly large chunk of the transfer fee is based around the injury history and how much he ends up playing. So assuming he is a success and stays relatively free of injury, the initial fee is actually higher than it looks as some of the add-ons are simply based on him just playing games this season.

4 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

The info I have is that the medical team were very involved with this deal (more and earlier than normal). A fairly large chunk of the transfer fee is based around the injury history and how much he ends up playing. So assuming he is a success and stays relatively free of injury, the initial fee is actually higher than it looks as some of the add-ons are simply based on him just playing games this season.

Thats interesting, and sensible if true.

Good source?

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Showing signs of ambition is subjective. I would say the signing of a 23 year old ball playing centre back to replace a 28 going on 29 year old, old fashioned centre half is a sign of ambition. Boro’s signing of Paddy McNair may be an indication of their ambition, but is that so in signing Flint if they end up selling Ben Gibson?

Let's see if we're ambitious enough to replace the goals we've lost in 24hours...what is it..30 'odd ??

We shall see.

I've been so wrapped up ranting and raving about the departures that I totally missed this. Reading around, it looks like we've landed a quality player, providing he keeps clear of injuries. 

Though I'm still far from placated given the outgoings, maybe this summer will turn out alright after all. If we can sign Marriott and a few others then who knows. At least, if nothing else, it looks like we do have something approaching a plan. I think? 

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

Let's see if we're ambitious enough to replace the goals we've lost in 24hours...what is it..30 'odd ??

We shall see.

It would be a good idea to significantly reduce the number of goals we concede, something the defenders we have sold or are about to sell presumably had some shared responsibility for.

We don’t know yet that the goals are not already at the club. Bobby’s 19 goals last season came as a direct result of a change of role that none of us foresaw. Regardless of what anyone thinks of LJ this change for Bobby was inspired. Previously, in his CM role you wouldn’t have bet on him to hit the proverbial barn door. Maybe there is another change on the horizon for one of the first team squad, and before anyone says lightning doesn’t strike twice, it frequently does. Alternatively, we may get more goals from fit again Duric, Diediou and Taylor, or one of our kids if given the chance. If we buy another striker great, but I’m not going to despair if we don’t. 

As for Flint’s goals, perhaps Baker will chip in with more or Webster prove he’s a goal threat. Pisano looks like he’s got a goal or two in him, which may happen if he stays fit. 

3 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

We don’t know yet that the goals are not already at the club. Bobby’s 19 goals last season came as a direct result of a change of role that none of us foresaw. Regardless of what anyone thinks of LJ this change for Bobby was inspired. Previously, in his CM role you wouldn’t have bet on him to hit the proverbial barn door. Maybe there is another change on the horizon for one of the first team squad, and before anyone says lightning doesn’t strike twice, it frequently does. Alternatively, we may get more goals from fit again Duric, Diediou and Taylor, or one of our kids if given the chance. If we buy another striker great, but I’m not going to despair if we don’t. 

As for Flint’s goals, perhaps Baker will chip in with more or Webster prove he’s a goal threat. Pisano looks like he’s got a goal or two in him, which may happen if he stays fit. 

I think you might be right regarding  Baker and a few more players chipping in, I seem rememeber a current player saying in a interview or on the radio that Flint would always want the ball and did get angry if it isnt sent his way. Which to be fair Flint scored enough to ask for it in set peices but maybe we will see more other players score from set plays.

I think Famara with an injury free season has it in his locker to replace the majority of Bobs goals even with his delayed start to the season.  If we can find a second striker to chip in with 13/14 goals we’d be no worse off.  Flints goals could be a miss but if the defence turns out to be stronger, ships 7/8 goals less it may not be a problem.  It’s not much fun losing the likes of Flint, Reid and Maggs and possibly Bryan but it might free up the cash to bring in five or six £3-4 million players, good enough to start in the first team and definitely good enough to improve the squad.  It may even keep Steve happy by edging us towards sustainability (because it must be very stressful spending a much smaller percentage of your disposable  income on Bristol City than I do each season *joking). I’ve not much faith in our recruitment but happy to see what the squad looks like when the window shuts.  Get it right and there’s a few new hero’s to cheer,  get in wrong and we’re going to be in a lot of trouble.

• Admin

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/33882/evans-webster-fee-will-be-reinvested

Blues owner Marcus Evans says the fee received from Bristol City for defender Adam Webster will be reinvested back into the squad and has revealed that that new manager Paul Hurst already has several targets as in mind he looks to rebuild for the season ahead.

“We didn’t want to lose Adam but it was very clear that the move appealed to him,” he told the club site.

“I thought long and hard before agreeing to the move and we haven’t let Adam go without receiving a significant fee and that will be reinvested into the playing squad.

“Paul has already identified a number of targets in various positions as we look to strengthen the squad for the season ahead and the challenge is now on to secure those players.”

Webster has moved to the Robins for an initial £3.5 million fee, which could rise to as much as £8 million after top-ups.

These include appearance milestones which should see the figure quickly reach £4 million as well as other clauses, including one relating to the Robins reaching the Premier League, while the Blues would also get a cut of the profit on any future sale.

Portsmouth, Webster’s former club, are due 20 per cent of the profit Town have made on the deal agreed when he moved to Portman Road in the summer of 2016.

Webster cost the Blues £700,000 plus Matt Clarke, who is believed to have been valued at £50,000. Pompey will receive an initial £550,000 and a fifth of the ongoing top-ups.

It seems likely that a significant proportion of the cash the Blues receive up front will be available to Hurst to spend on fees, while some will almost certainly go towards wages as well as other payments relating to signings.

Not sure if anyone else has posted this but just seen his first interview and it's cracked me up!

Interviewer: "And you've been at Ipswich now for 2 years, but was it a difficult decision to leave Portman Road?"

Webster: "Naaah I don't think so"

Brilliant:clapping:welcome Adam!

On 29/06/2018 at 11:02, phantom said:

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/33882/evans-webster-fee-will-be-reinvested

Blues owner Marcus Evans says the fee received from Bristol City for defender Adam Webster will be reinvested back into the squad and has revealed that that new manager Paul Hurst already has several targets as in mind he looks to rebuild for the season ahead.

“We didn’t want to lose Adam but it was very clear that the move appealed to him,” he told the club site.

“I thought long and hard before agreeing to the move and we haven’t let Adam go without receiving a significant fee and that will be reinvested into the playing squad.

“Paul has already identified a number of targets in various positions as we look to strengthen the squad for the season ahead and the challenge is now on to secure those players.”

Webster has moved to the Robins for an initial £3.5 million fee, which could rise to as much as £8 million after top-ups.

These include appearance milestones which should see the figure quickly reach £4 million as well as other clauses, including one relating to the Robins reaching the Premier League, while the Blues would also get a cut of the profit on any future sale.

Portsmouth, Webster’s former club, are due 20 per cent of the profit Town have made on the deal agreed when he moved to Portman Road in the summer of 2016.

Webster cost the Blues £700,000 plus Matt Clarke, who is believed to have been valued at £50,000. Pompey will receive an initial £550,000 and a fifth of the ongoing top-ups.

It seems likely that a significant proportion of the cash the Blues receive up front will be available to Hurst to spend on fees, while some will almost certainly go towards wages as well as other payments relating to signings.

Bargain.

34 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Yep and BessexRed might be regretting his OP!

Just a bit.... :laugh:

In fairness I never denied he was a good player, he was but I was after a bit more steel as we've been so soft in recent years and squandered so many winning positions when it's mattered.

The issue has been addressed though, can't remember us even conceding a late goal this season.

2 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Just a bit.... :laugh:

In fairness I never denied he was a good player, he was but I was after a bit more steel as we've been so soft in recent years and squandered so many winning positions when it's mattered.

The issue has been addressed though, can't remember us even conceding a late goal this season.

Only once have we conceded in the last 15 minutes all season!

Archived