IGNORED

Adam Webster - Now signed

BessexRED

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Doesn’t he have a pretty horrendous track record with injuries?

Sorry but the last few days have been awful for the club. Indeed a Horrendous 6 months. Showed no real ambition in January & now paying the price in the form of a fire sale of all our best players. 

Found this, pretty serious injuries to be honest but that can happen to any player, it's all about how he heels.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/adam-webster/verletzungen/spieler/212847

24 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Sorry but the last few days have been awful for the club. Indeed a Horrendous 6 months. Showed no real ambition in January & now paying the price in the form of a fire sale of all our best players. 

The players on the pitch are the ones who should take responsibility 

We had a full strength squad for the last few months so no excuses. Move them on for a profit and go again with fresh blood who will take responsibility 

31 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Image result for overreaction gif

57 minutes ago, petehinton said:

A fire sale is what Villa are facing. We are not selling because we are in a financial crisis but in part to avoid the same fate.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

So we've sold Flint and replaced him with an injury prone like-for-like? Doesn;t sound too appealing 

I’m definitely not reading he’s like for like. Quite cultured is how Webster is being described. 

As much as I love Flinty, cultured he ain’t.  

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Wright play a lot at RB, unless Pisano gets back to the level he was pre-injury. 

I can imagine that happening, but I hope it doesn’t. When playing at RB Wright always looked liked a central defender filling in as a  RB due to injuries. He never looked like a natural full back. If the club wants to push for promotion, which I’m not sure it does, then square pegs in round holes just won’t do. 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Is it a fire sale if we are getting good fees for them? It has been a rough few months but it was pretty inevitable we would lose a few players. The injury thing is a concern for sure but selling a 29 year old for 7m and buying a 23 year old for half the fee with scope to be better than the man you sold is surely a positive?

Think we need to be creative to be succesful with our funds. Like having a really good CB pairing even if we have to rest them 10-12 games. Then having good enough back up to win you games against some of the lesser teams. A Webster Baker pairing could be a top pairing with Wright amd Hegeler or even another signing like Clarke could get the job done for a 46 game season

I can't think of many promoted teams who rotated there centre back pairing.

6 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

I can't think of many promoted teams who rotated there centre back pairing.

I know it is against the grain but don’t see why it can’t be done. Especially at the pace we started the season. Either have a big squad and rotate or small squad and hope you don’t get too many injuries or suspensions. We currently have a large squad and it should be used. Also, Baker and seemingly Webster are going to miss games and rotating will happen so may as well prevent the injuries and keep them at their best. 

2 hours ago, hodge said:

Image result for overreaction gif

Best gif response I’ve had for a while btw. Great work.  

I’ll rephrase - the core, and most reliable players we’ve had, over the last few seasons are poised to leave. Not signed by the current regime. Flint was one of those. Reid is so pivotal to everything we were building. 

I don’t trust the current board & management to spend this money wisely. If we hadn’t had loaned Diony in January - we could’ve been going out and spending over half of Bobby’s fee on him..... 

3 hours ago, KeepUpLino said:

God bloody help us

Please elaborate

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

I can imagine that happening, but I hope it doesn’t. When playing at RB Wright always looked liked a central defender filling in as a  RB due to injuries. He never looked like a natural full back. If the club wants to push for promotion, which I’m not sure it does, then square pegs in round holes just won’t do. 

Playing devil’s advocate a bit.....it was ok playing Wright at RB in our best period of the season wasn’t it?  It depends what you want from your RB.  At that point we played 4 CBs, had a solid base, and actually allowed Smith and Pack a bit more license (Pack’s advanced position for Bryan’s goal, Smith’s goal both v Man Utd for example).  I agree, in the modern game more is expected of your full-backs with the ball, but more than one way to skin a cat.  We were solid as anything during that run of games.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

And nor would I it is the sort of ‘winging’ it unprofessional attitude that ****** up the 2nd half of last season.

Winging it?  For me that was playing Smith and Brownhill at RB, not Wright, who played a reasonable amount of games there.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Please elaborate

Playing devil’s advocate a bit.....it was ok playing Wright at RB in our best period of the season wasn’t it?  It depends what you want from your RB.  At that point we played 4 CBs, had a solid base, and actually allowed Smith and Pack a bit more license (Pack’s advanced position for Bryan’s goal, Smith’s goal both v Man Utd for example).  I agree, in the modern game more is expected of your full-backs with the ball, but more than one way to skin a cat.  We were solid as anything during that run of games.

Winging it?  For me that was playing Smith and Brownhill at RB, not Wright, who played a reasonable amount of games there.

Coincidentally, playing 4 centre backs has been the preferred Pulis method for years. He now has the potential to do that at Boro. ;)

It can indeed give you a solid base and if, as seems possible, we go for some variation of 4-3-3 with two wide men we might well use Wright and Kelly, centre backs by trade, as the full backs.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Please elaborate

Rather have Wright at RB than Pisano any day. He’s a train wreck. 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

I know it is against the grain but don’t see why it can’t be done. Especially at the pace we started the season. Either have a big squad and rotate or small squad and hope you don’t get too many injuries or suspensions. We currently have a large squad and it should be used. Also, Baker and seemingly Webster are going to miss games and rotating will happen so may as well prevent the injuries and keep them at their best. 

I may be wrong but do centre backs do that much running. It's not like playing in midfield!

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Pompey fan I know says he’s been following him closely since his move, and if he can stay fit he could be the best CB in the league and the reported fee is an absolute steal. 

Fingers crossed on the fitness front but encouraging to hear. 

Sounds like good business by us, looks as if we are trying to get major deals tied up the same day to avoid doubt and slip ups.

reid out tomorrow with new striker in wouldn’t be a surprise.

1 minute ago, Red Army 87 said:

Sounds like good business by us, looks as if we are trying to get major deals tied up the same day to avoid doubt and slip ups.

reid out tomorrow with new striker in wouldn’t be a surprise.

I’m guessing everything with Webster was all done bar the shouting before we let the Flint deal go through. 

Still going to be a sickener to see Reid at Cardiff. But be pleased with Marriott, if we get him, the fact that posh fans rate him higher than Assombalonga and Gayle is very encouraging. 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I’m guessing everything with Webster was all done bar the shouting before we let the Flint deal go through. 

Still going to be a sickener to see Reid at Cardiff. But be pleased with Marriott, if we get him, the fact that posh fans rate him higher than Assombalonga and Gayle is very encouraging. 

Yeah I hope we get the Marriott deal over the line 

Archived