IGNORED

Ashamed to be a Bristol City fan

Superjack

I'd honestly chill out a bit mate. Only time I've been ashamed to be a City fan was for a few minutes when we were 4-0 down at Trumpton. Never been ashamed of our fans mind, no matter what! (and that includes nearly getting my head kicked off by our lot in Shrewsbury in a friendly fire incident!).. Red and Proud! Absolutely smashed and off my head right now so my thoughts are certainly being influenced by greater gods, personally got to respect those who think Bob is a snake as much as anyone who thinks of him as a hero. Don't make them less fans, don't make them better fans, don't make them better or worse. It's a bit like being ditched by a bird - people react different ways. Some get straight onto the tinder and have the time of their lives, others cry themselves to sleep, others go bloody mental. A move like this will always set a cat among the swallons. 

43 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Anyone giving Bobby abuse are just idiots as far as I'm concerned. We will always have idiot fans, just like every club does. As for flint, if we didn't have a brilliant replacement lined up then maybe we don't sell for 7. As it turns out, we've done bloody well to make money and end up with Webster instead. 

Time will tell how good Webster is, but from what I’ve heard/read sounds promising. As for Flint, what is he 29? We’d have to replace him soon anyway, so £7m and a final big payday for him makes sense.

7 hours ago, Superjack said:

So Bobby Reid is a 'snake'. 

After spending his whole career with us. Putting in the effort to try and make something of himself. And then he gets his season in the sun and his big break. And we get £10m for a one season wonder. What a snake. 

Meanwhile, the best centre back in the country outside the prem goes for half the price. He is not a snake though. Nor is an Icelandic bit part player because he is great at engaging with fans on social media.

Flint should have gone for £15m minimum. But hey, let's ignore that like the suits want us to and call Bobby Reid a snake. 

Ffs. Wake up people. 

(Waiting for the abuse from those that only read the title...) 

Regarding the 'snake' part; two things to consider because you can't really compare Reid with Flints situation.

1 - Reid was a home grown Bristol City lad. Flint isn't.

2 - Flint didn't move to one of our rivals. Reid did.

This for some, might also be the reasons why people are not happy with Reid.

For the record, I haven't slated Reid's move (it was clear earlier in the year that he had no interest in staying here) or Flint's move.

9 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Regarding the 'snake' part; two things to consider because you can't really compare Reid with Flints situation.

1 - Reid was a home grown Bristol City lad. Flint isn't.

2 - Flint didn't move to one of our rivals. Reid did.

This for some, might also be the reasons why people are not happy with Reid.

For the record, I haven't slated Reid's move (it was clear earlier in the year that he had no interest in staying here) or Flint's move.

Wrong way round. Flint did sign for one of our rivals and Bobby didn’t. Boro are our rivals being in the same division. I may not like it, but Cardiff are not our rivals being now in the Prem. 

6 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Wrong way round. Flint did sign for one of our rivals and Bobby didn’t. Boro are our rivals being in the same division. I may not like it, but Cardiff are not our rivals being now in the Prem. 

You can’t just magic away the rivalry because they’re in a different league. How many Rovers fans were happy Taylor came to us instead of - say - Peterborough? 

I don’t begrudge Bobby a move to a higher tier. But I can’t find it in me to wish him well there. Your best player signing for your biggest rival - in this generation at least - is not something that people are going to be ok with. 

As funny as it was when the shoe was on the other foot and we nabbed Taylor, I’d have found it utterly bizarre if they were OK with it. 

6 hours ago, Big C said:

But each of the last four seasons have been better than the previous one

Very valid but as I’ve said elsewhere on many occasions that’s not the point for me. 

We were on the brink. Second. 20 points on Millwall. Had beaten Man Utd and for several minutes were beating City.

On telly more often than Eastenders and had national interest.

Along comes a transfer window and we show our intent by signing the likes of Diony and Kent and the other one.

Is it any wonder those who had got us into that position were turned off and starting looking around and are now leaving?

Who can blame them? I don’t and wish them well.

Most know who I blame. The ***** in the suits.

1 minute ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Very valid but as I’ve said elsewhere on many occasions that’s not the point for me. 

We were on the brink. Second. 20 points on Millwall. Had beaten Man Utd and for several minutes were beating City.

Along comes a transfer window and we show our intent by signing the likes of Diony and Kent and the other one.

Is it any wonder those who had got us into that position were turned off and starting looking around and are now leaving?

Some fair points - no doubting that Jan was a disaster - but how many clubs went out and signed a player in Jan that really gave them that push over the line? 

Mitrovic - yes - but completely unrealistic target for us. 

Grabban made his mark but ultimately Villa failed.

Cardiff signed Madine and went up in spite of that not because of it. 

IMO there were problems brewing that went well beyond the January window. Injuries, loss of confidence, loss of hunger it would seem.

The Wolves capitulation was the catalyst for all that followed and we all knew it when that goal went in. That was before the window even opened. It doesn’t take much to completely eradicate confidence and that was the moment our season died. 

Having said that, you’d point to Sunderland, Leeds and Hull games as being key moments too. Especially the first two. Confidence/spirit draining moments that had ramifications well beyond just those fixtures. 

7 hours ago, Mendip City said:

The only shame here is that Bristol City can’t match the ambition of our better players and went out of their way to prove it in January.  

Do you mean can’t match their ambition or can’t match the amount of money other clubs can offer?  Personally I think football these days is 100% down to ££££££££, and if you don’t pay the players are off, it’s too easy to chuck the ambition thing out there to put the club down, when in reality we just can’t compete financially with other clubs.  

I’ve been watching City nearly 30 years and it’s been a rollercoaster, but players always have and always will leave at some point, and new players will come in, it is what it is, we take players from smaller clubs, bigger clubs take our players, that’s football.  Cardiff are currently a bigger (or richer) club in the sense that they are in the prem and have the cash, if I was Bobby I would have been there in a shot no question.

Yehthe Jan signings didn’t work, but we had no chance of getting some of the other players that got signed cause we can’t compete financially, nothing to do with ambition. I just can’t see what the logic is that SL doesn’t want us promoted, he’s just not willing to try and compete with clubs that have more cash

7 hours ago, pillred said:

I have been going down the gate for over 50 years and every season I think next year it will all be better, I'm still waiting as are all of you, don't know whether I will live long enough for all the promises to be fulfilled and it is frustrating seeing our best players go to other clubs, don’t know the answer but I will say one thing even my patience is running out.

I think us ‘lifers’ have different timescales set against our ambitions for the club - I’ve done over 40 years down there and you’ve notched a half century, there are others on here with similar and longer ‘sentences’ - it is frustrating to see our best players go and I think we do know the answer.

It isn’t a popular answer though because the younger guys n gals amongst our support have time to lap up the ‘one for the future’ strategy and seem prepared to wait and wait and wait for a shot at the big time again. Yep the championship ain’t the worst place to be and I enjoy it, but if our club seriously wanted a tilt at the big time we’d have got Warnock in as manager and we’d be looking forward to a premier league season right now with our best players still here, and the only ones leaving would have been the ones we didn’t think could hack it up there....

As I said, not a popular answer (on here at least) but it would have saved ‘your patience running out’ - and before the bleaters start the ‘Warnock is a crap premier league manager’ stuff, I’ve said it again and again, I’d have used him to get us out of this division in an upwards trajectory, that’s all, then look to appoint an experienced, proven guy to guide us through the premier league challenges and hopefully make gradual progress in the top tier that way.....NW knows how to promote teams, it’s as simple as that, he’s done it 8 times and he doesn’t pretend to be the long term answer to every ambitious club’s plans, but he is certainly a helluva good start point for setting you off on a journey.....

7 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Completely agree.... 

i wonder whether Bryan will get the same abuse when he goes for the exact same reasons  - there’s one obvious, very obvious difference between the two men.... feel free to join the dots. 

I hope you’re not suggesting what I think you are. Because that really would be utterly unfounded. 

43 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Sorry, should have been clearer. I wasn't referring to divisional rivals but club rivalry. 

8 hours ago, Superjack said:

Fair enough. Maybe he isn't. 

Maybe he is worth **** all. 

He is not worthy of abuse though. 

Neither is Bobby Reid. 

What did you expect? I don''t condone what was said, but I am not surprised, anymore so that Blue Dredd bigging it up on here. 

19 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I hope you’re not suggesting what I think you are. Because that really would be utterly unfounded. 

Exactly. The reason some people have the hump is because it's Cardiff and the terrible way we handled our fawning social media as if he was going to Barca, combined with a decent bit if shithousery by them to present him tapping his head in a gif. You can't compare that to Flint quietly sodding off to Boro.

People really don't need to insinuate it's to do with anything else.

I agree with the abuse on Reid moronic, Just because he has gone to Cardiff yet Taylor was a hero when he joined us from Rovers. I doubt it will work out for Reid but good luck to him in the future.

1 hour ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Small minded club. Have been throughout my lifetime. 

We do not believe we belong in the top flight.

8 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Completely agree.... 

i wonder whether Bryan will get the same abuse when he goes for the exact same reasons  - there’s one obvious, very obvious difference between the two men.... feel free to join the dots. 

That’s a pretty serious insinuation which is completely unfounded. The reason for the backlash is because it’s Cardiff. No more, no less. 

Poor form to suggest that tbh. 

Bobby Reid done himself no favours by refusing the new contract. Not that i condone the abuse he has been getting i just think he should of signed another contract and stayed and tried to replicate what he done last season. If he did then he would of bagged a lot more money for the club and arguably a lot bigger move for himself. Two good seasons in the championship would of seen a lot more clubs interested. That new contract could of easily had a clause in it saying he could leave at such a time and if he truly is the real deal then replicating what he did last season wouldn't of been a problem baring injuries.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think us ‘lifers’ have different timescales set against our ambitions for the club - I’ve done over 40 years down there and you’ve notched a half century, there are others on here with similar and longer ‘sentences’ - it is frustrating to see our best players go and I think we do know the answer.

It isn’t a popular answer though because the younger guys n gals amongst our support have time to lap up the ‘one for the future’ strategy and seem prepared to wait and wait and wait for a shot at the big time again. Yep the championship ain’t the worst place to be and I enjoy it, but if our club seriously wanted a tilt at the big time we’d have got Warnock in as manager and we’d be looking forward to a premier league season right now with our best players still here, and the only ones leaving would have been the ones we didn’t think could hack it up there....

As I said, not a popular answer (on here at least) but it would have saved ‘your patience running out’ - and before the bleaters start the ‘Warnock is a crap premier league manager’ stuff, I’ve said it again and again, I’d have used him to get us out of this division in an upwards trajectory, that’s all, then look to appoint an experienced, proven guy to guide us through the premier league challenges and hopefully make gradual progress in the top tier that way.....NW knows how to promote teams, it’s as simple as that, he’s done it 8 times and he doesn’t pretend to be the long term answer to every ambitious club’s plans, but he is certainly a helluva good start point for setting you off on a journey.....

On the nail. Another 50 year ‘lifer’ here, who has seen it all before.

It wasn’t about spending loads of money in January, it was about being smart. We weren’t, far from it. We took massive gambles on two high risk out-of-form, few games played in the season imports plus yet another ‘one for the future’ to add to the dozens we have already. At least spread your risk!

We should now spend a significant amount of our profits on a scouting network and a knowledgable and experienced head of scouting. We then should be able to at least match the scouting ability of the mighty Brentford, preventing the likes of Ollie Watkins going to them rather than us. A decent, experienced director of football wouldn’t go amiss either.

Lets start again but this time be a bit more professional about it and when the odds are significantly in our favour press the right buttons.

59 minutes ago, BS10 RED said:

Bobby Reid done himself no favours by refusing the new contract. Not that i condone the abuse he has been getting i just think he should of signed another contract and stayed and tried to replicate what he done last season. If he did then he would of bagged a lot more money for the club and arguably a lot bigger move for himself. Two good seasons in the championship would of seen a lot more clubs interested. That new contract could of easily had a clause in it saying he could leave at such a time and if he truly is the real deal then replicating what he did last season wouldn't of been a problem baring injuries.

Exactly. Bad njury in his first game of 18/19 for City and you could argue he’d missed his chance at the Prem. He made the right decision for Bobby Reid. Probably the right decision for Bristol City too. 

10 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Completely agree.... 

Matt Hill. Shaun Goater. Albert Adomah. 

Everyone is nearly where they were 50 yrs ago 1. Man City 2. Man U . The top 7 now we’re in the top 9 in 1968. We are still playing the same old regulars as we were in the old Division 2. Preston , Hull, Blackburn, QPR, Millwall, Middlesbrough, Ason Villa, Birmingham etc etc . Most teams gravitate to their normal place in the order of things. I would bet that Coventry, Portsmouth,Plymouth, Cardiff, Huddersfield and Brighton will all be back in championship within 5 years. 

It is possible to buck against the trend for a while as Bournemouth and Watford are doing , but it is very  difficult to do it in the long term (over decades) . Perhaps Palace have done it ( and Blackpool have gone the other way. 

Given the financial structure of the game this will inevitably continue.

I sometimes wonder why we all bother, but millions of us do and will continue to do so. We enjoy the ups (1976-80 in our case) and ride out the downs (1982-4). 

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

If you and I can see that makes you wonder why the club cant, as you say we just need to get there however that is and not keep palming us off with were building for the future, well the future should have been here by now and I cant be the only one getting a bit disillusioned.

4 hours ago, 054123 said:

Small minded club. Have been throughout my lifetime. 

We do not believe we belong in the top flight.

Absolutely correct.

If you truly believe in something, often you exceed others expectations and achieve it.

Huddersfield, the umpteenth ‘small’ club to overtake us, come to mind. 

City, on the other hand, constantly think and say they are a small fish in a big pond. Consequently, we remain skulking under the lily pads, afraid to venture out apart from an occasional sorte to a puddle where we become a big fish in a small puddle.

The biggest Club never to have played in the Premier League tells us all we want to know. 

Archived