IGNORED

Did we even offer Bobby a new contract?

redordead1

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Yes we did but BR turned it down, knowing that to progress his career and bank balance he'd have to move on.

Now he's  increased his wedge very considerably and has a chance of playing in the PL.

Who can blame him? 

Apparently quite a lot of people! Idiots!

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Yes we did but BR turned it down, knowing that to progress his career and bank balance he'd have to move on.

Now he's  increased his wedge very considerably and has a chance of playing in the PL.

Who can blame him? 

Seeing the number of people attacking him on twitter and instgram quiet a lot - some of our fans are real pieces of shit.

Agree the abuse directed at him is uncalled for it’s not his fault that we don’t seem to have the ambition to reach the premiership, yes of course I’m not happy he’s gone to Cardiff but I don’t begrudge him taking his chance at the premiership 

We offered him a ******* lot of money and he turned it down.

Aden Flint was more loyal. He agreed the contract in part to protect the club.

Joe Bryan didn't. "One of our own". Wish we'd stop singing that.

There are many things that the club gets horribly wrong but there is no way that they did not try to get Bobby on a new contract.

Simply from a financial view it would be madness not to.

As for the abuse he is getting from 'supporters ' utterly vile uneducated idiots!

For what it's worth I wish both Bobby and Aden all the best - except when they play us.

8 hours ago, Fiale said:

Seeing the number of people attacking him on twitter and instgram quiet a lot - some of our fans are real pieces of shit.

Most teams have a set of supporters exactly the same, I can understand people being upset but being so vitriolic( is that a made up word) I don't understand) it's not like 20-30 years ago when you had that loyalty and let's face it if you get offered 2-3 times or more to leave your job how many people will say no????  

9 hours ago, BarnzFM said:

Several times apparently to him and JB

This is what annoys me about the whole ‘lack of ambition’ comments. You cannot keep players here that don’t want to be here. When their head is elsewhere it’s Ski Sunday all the way. 

Once Bryan goes we’re probably talking £25m for three who don’t want to be here, so provided it’s reinvested with care - the biggest unknown - it’s good business all round.

The sort of player we’re linked with this window gives me confidence about lessons learned from previous recruitment failings. 

7 hours ago, stokes7 said:

Agree the abuse directed at him is uncalled for it’s not his fault that we don’t seem to have the ambition to reach the premiership, yes of course I’m not happy he’s gone to Cardiff but I don’t begrudge him taking his chance at the premiership 

same old same old rubbish

We sign a 23yr old defender for £5m and are trying to get a £6.5m striker and this seems like no ambition?

5 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

We sign a 23yr old defender for £5m and are trying to get a £6.5m striker and this seems like no ambition?

Some people haven’t got the patience to wait for the club to grow to that stage. It has to be now, even if we’re not ready.

8 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

We offered him a ******* lot of money and he turned it down.

Aden Flint was more loyal. He agreed the contract in part to protect the club.

Joe Bryan didn't. "One of our own". Wish we'd stop singing that.

Joe's been here since he was 8 and played hundreds of games for us. 

There comes a time where a player needs to move on to progress his career and its obvious that nows the time for both Joe and Bobby to do that. It's not about loyalty its about players needing to play at the best level they can, which won't happen with us 

9 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Joe's been here since he was 8 and played hundreds of games for us. 

There comes a time where a player needs to move on to progress his career and its obvious that nows the time for both Joe and Bobby to do that. It's not about loyalty its about players needing to play at the best level they can, which won't happen with us 

Could sign a new contract first though so we maximise the fee. We stuck by BR through lean times and developed him and then one good season and he’s off to one of our main rivals. Bad optics. 

2 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Could sign a new contract first though so we maximise the fee. We stuck by BR through lean times and developed him and then one good season and he’s off to one of our main rivals. Bad optics. 

Not sure what giving predetermined measures of alcohol from a large bottle has got to do with it

7 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Thats a fair point but there is very little loyalty in football nowadays, players look to gain as much money as possible and play in the highest level they can and unfortunately Bobby has seen this as his best opportunity to do so

12 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Maybe we just weren't offering him enough money. Cardiff are supposedly quadrupling his wages.. At a guess I reckon he's on around 6k per week.. Knowing us, I doubt we'd have offered him 24,000.

I imagine that all of the supposedly interested teams (WBA, Derby, Cardiff) would've paid that though, his agent would've known that and advised his client to get the contract he's worth.

16 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Personally, I don’t think we’d have got any more for Bobby had he signed a new contract.  I think too many people make too much of the last year stuff.  All summer I’ve said I thought he was worth £8-10m.  I only saw his value going down right at the end of the window, not this early in the summer.  Of course once that line is reached, then totally agree his value goes down unless he’s playing the field, e.g. several clubs want him.  As soon as the window closes, then yes, he price plummets.

I think his price reflects what an amazing season he had, but also it was a 25 year old having his first stellar season, maybe his only one.  Getting him to sign a new 3 year deal I don’t think would’ve made other clubs pay anymore. It may have made a City able to say ‘no’, but if Bobby had signed a deal purely to protect City, he wouldn’t have wanted them to turn down a big offer.

I’m sure Bobby has said I want to play in the Prem.  City have said we’d like you to stay, but to no avail.  City will inform Bobby’s agent that if someone stumps up £9m-10m, we will let Bobby talk to them.  The agent might think this is too high, but what can he do other than ask Bobby to Down tools all season.  He’s not gonna be marketable then is he.  A one-season wonder who’s thrown his toys out of the pram.  I don’t think he is a One season wonder, nor do I think he’d do a Barahino.

I think we got the best price for him in this window....irrespective of contract situation.

Had no-one hit the the magic figure by the end of the window....then we start to see different scenarios.

Does he wind down his contract?

• but still bang 20 goals, and goes for zilch (we are gutted)
  • have a mare, and no-one wants him

Does he sign a new deal?

• bang in 20 and increases his value, no longer a one-season wonder, goes for £15m end of 18/19
  • have a mare and we have a highly paid player on our books....but he’s a local boy so that’s fine (sarcastic)

etc.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Maybe we just weren't offering him enough money. Cardiff are supposedly quadrupling his wages.. At a guess I reckon he's on around 6k per week.. Knowing us, I doubt we'd have offered him 24,000.

I imagine that all of the supposedly interested teams (WBA, Derby, Cardiff) would've paid that though, his agent would've known that and advised his client to get the contract he's worth.

I reckon Bobby is on £3k here, (at most £4k).  He signed this deal in summer 2016, when he was hardly in a good bargaining position. Quadrupling it would be £12k.  I reckon we will have offered £12-15k per week.  Cardiff will have offered him more than that without thinking.  All imho. 

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Even with January, which a lot of people keep presenting as evidence of a lack of ambition in the transfer market, we signed an up and coming player from a Premier league club, loaned in a winger from a Champion's League club and loaned with a view to buy a striker who had made a big money move a few months earlier. Don't get me wrong - one of those players hasn't made an impact and the other two turned out to be rubbish in hindsight but they were poor signings rather than unambitious ones. 

I think Bobby got lucky that Cardiff got promoted and he could still live at home or visit regularly which seems very important to him. Who knows Carrdiff may only be up there a year so he took a chance when his stock was high and jumped, getting the Premiership football he craved at a convenient location. The wage increase is of course a nice bonus.

We couldn’t pay Bobby top money, after only one good season did he really warrant that, leapfrogging other and become the club’s top earner? Other players would feel aggrieved if someone suddenly was earning significantly more than them surely? 

What if Cardiff hadn’t of gone up, he wouldn’t have considered them I doubt. What were his options to stay local ish then, Bournemouth, Fulham or Wolves maybe. He got lucky, and maybe so did we. (£) Who knows he might never have a season like that again.

1 minute ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

@Robbored have been looking for where this was on the official site, not sure I can believe it otherwise

You need to listen to interviews from MA and LJ and they both confirmed that BR had an improved offer on the table awaiting his signature.

Archived