IGNORED

Team for next season

Finley_Smith10

As it currently stands, for 1st game:

Fielding

Wright, Webster, Baker, Bryan (:whistle:)

Brownhill, Pack, Smith

Watkins, Taylor, O’Dowda

Subs: O’Leary, Pisano, Kelly, Hegeler, Djúric, Eliasson, Paterson

Those not getting changed:

Vyner, Moore, Walsh, Bakinson, Morrell, Hinds, McCoulsky

Those not available:

Diedhiou

11 hours ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

At this moment in time what dyou think is our strongest line up atm? Mine is

Fielding

Pisano Webster Baker Kelly

COD Smith Pack Brownhill Paterson

Fammy

Bryan replacing Pato if stays but highly unlikely imo 

Certainly not with Pisano..!

If Bryan and pack do go I'd like to see this... 

Fielding

Vyner Webster Baker kelly

Watkins Brownhill Smith COD Elliasson 

Diedhiou

Lots of energy there, new keeper needed and if Joe does go a new left back plus new centre mid as well which would allow odowda to go out wide

4 hours ago, JBFC II said:

If Bryan and pack do go I'd like to see this... 

Fielding

Vyner Webster Baker kelly

Watkins Brownhill Smith COD Elliasson 

Diedhiou

Lots of energy there, new keeper needed and if Joe does go a new left back plus new centre mid as well which would allow odowda to go out wide

I sincerely hope not. Without disrespecting those players you have mentioned that team has got relegation battle written all over it.

38 minutes ago, bris red said:

I sincerely hope not. Without disrespecting those players you have mentioned that team has got relegation battle written all over it.

I'd agree but at the minute that's the best I can think of, depending on whether pack and joe stay. 

A few additional signings and that's a mid table team though in my opinion

17 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

So - I think it was mentioned that Webster is left footed is that correct? In which case it seems like him next to Baker might not be an ideal combo?

He's very much two footed. Predominantly a lefty but he can use both.

Even then it can be helpful for pressing. There have been plenty of quality defensive pairings who were both left footed.

2 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Pugh

Pugh. Barney Mcgrew. Cuthbert. Dibble.

& Grubb for sure.

Not sure if Grubb is good enough. Also if both Pugh brothers are in the team and we re-sign the Rougier twins does that mean we break a world record for the number of siblings in the starting eleven?

I'd move away from 442

fielding

RCB - Wright

CB - Webster

LCB - Baker

RWB - O'Dowda

LWB - Bryan 

CM - Brownhill 

CM - Pack

CM - Smith 

ST - Taylor

ST - Diedhiou 

I'd expect a new striker so Taylor there for now out of who we have, could have put Paterson in a free role with Diedhiou. Think O'Dowda could play wing back, definitely willing to put a defensive shift in. Think Vyner would slot in well instead of Wright if we give him exposure over time. The players involved can also switch to a 442 if needed without a sub being made. 

Think Joe will definitely be off just matter of when. Likewise Pack appears to be going to.Fammy has 6 match ban.

With above in mind think we need as a minimum  2 fullbacks.Central midfielder who can create goals and hit set pieces,experienced would be good.

Finally quality centre forward with proven record.

With the cash we have generated 4 players is not out of reach even if we have to pay high for a centre forward.

16 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

He's very much two footed. Predominantly a lefty but he can use both.

Even then it can be helpful for pressing. There have been plenty of quality defensive pairings who were both left footed.

Like who?  I can’t think of any off the top of my head.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Like who?  I can’t think of any off the top of my head.

Materazzi and Samuel. Chiellini and Romagnoli.

It's about splitting the pitch in two isn't it, one of the main reasons people are desperate for a R and L next to each other. Passing lanes are opened up more when you've got a lefty and a righty next to each other. The other issue you get with, for example a lefty at RCB is you're dropping off with your right shoulder, so you have to be capable with your right anyway. Webster as far as I'm aware is two footed though.

IMO if you had Webster next to Baker the team would need time to familiarize and get used to the angles of passing that two left foot dominant centre backs would create. There'd have to be minimal rotation which is obviously not ideal with both of their injury histories.

24 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

It's about splitting the pitch in two isn't it, one of the main reasons people are desperate for a R and L next to each other. Passing lanes are opened up more when you've got a lefty and a righty next to each other. The other issue you get with, for example a lefty at RCB is you're dropping off with your right shoulder, so you have to be capable with your right anyway. Webster as far as I'm aware is two footed though.

IMO if you had Webster next to Baker the team would need time to familiarize and get used to the angles of passing that two left foot dominant centre backs would create. There'd have to be minimal rotation which is obviously not ideal with both of their injury histories.

Which makes you wonder why, if you are looking to replace a RCB, you go out and buy a leftie?

Yes I expect you can 'get round it', but when you know EXACTLY what position you are filling why not buy someone who is a perfect for it. Just sounds a bit like creating a problem before you start.

Unless Wright plays with one of Baker/Webster?

2 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Yes. The midfield will press as a Pack.

It looks like the midfield players can easily interchange with the back four and the front two if the game dictates too.

This could be a goer - I do have reservations about your choice of keeper though (unless we`re playing rush goalies)

Just now, robin_unreliant said:

Which makes you wonder why, if you are looking to replace a RCB, you go out and buy a leftie?

Yes I expect you can 'get round it', but when you know EXACTLY what position you are filling why not buy someone who is a perfect for it. Just sounds a bit like creating a problem before you start.

Unless Wright plays with one of Baker/Webstsr?

I expect Webster will play next to Baker on the right simply by the virtue of him being relatively two footed.

Who knows if there was a ball playing, young, Championship experienced centre back of high ability and potential to improve, who was also right footed and available for around £5m? It's quite the criteria to fill.

20 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Ah, you had to go to Italy....I’ve lost touch since CM97 Italia version :P

I agree with all you say, it makes a lot of sense.  The only thing that I’d counter with is where it restricts who marks who.

My example was Flint and Magnússon v Blackburn in 16/17.  Perfect R&L combo in theory.

However Sam Gallagher made sure for every dead ball he stood in the left channel (between Mags and our LB - probably Bryan).  Their keeper kicked everything down that channel and although Mags stood up well to the physical challenge, Gallagher won lots of flicks (luckily to no-one) and occasionally strong enough to get it on his chest.

I couldn’t help thinking that had we been more versatile, Flint could’ve came over and took on the challenge of the aerial stuff.  Who knows, Gallagher might end of thinking Flint’s gonna follow me, I might as way stay Central, and we win the mini-battle.

Another potential problem is that where one plays right and one plays left, CBs become too keen to pass-on a player to their partner, when sometimes you’d be better staying with him.  Hogan at Brentford was magnificent at being marked by Flint, but as he moved into Mags’s zone, Flint would pass him on.  However Hogan would then change him run back towards Flint, and no-one would be marking him.  I think he had about 4 one-on-ones in 20 minutes that night.

Archived