IGNORED

Team for next season

Finley_Smith10

19 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Pugh

Pugh. Barney Mcgrew. Cuthbert. Dibble.

& Grubb for sure.

Great team, the only problem is they might be called away during the game to put out a fire, or rescue a cat. Do we have enough subs of their quality to cover them? I don't think so!

14 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

It looks like the midfield players can easily interchange with the back four and the front two if the game dictates too.

This could be a goer - I do have reservations about your choice of keeper though (unless we`re playing rush goalies)

Fair enough..Fielding in goal. But I’m keeping the flat Pack four.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ah, you had to go to Italy....I’ve lost touch since CM97 Italia version :P

I agree with all you say, it makes a lot of sense.  The only thing that I’d counter with is where it restricts who marks who.

My example was Flint and Magnússon v Blackburn in 16/17.  Perfect R&L combo in theory.

However Sam Gallagher made sure for every dead ball he stood in the left channel (between Mags and our LB - probably Bryan).  Their keeper kicked everything down that channel and although Mags stood up well to the physical challenge, Gallagher won lots of flicks (luckily to no-one) and occasionally strong enough to get it on his chest.

I couldn’t help thinking that had we been more versatile, Flint could’ve came over and took on the challenge of the aerial stuff.  Who knows, Gallagher might end of thinking Flint’s gonna follow me, I might as way stay Central, and we win the mini-battle.

Another potential problem is that where one plays right and one plays left, CBs become too keen to pass-on a player to their partner, when sometimes you’d be better staying with him.  Hogan at Brentford was magnificent at being marked by Flint, but as he moved into Mags’s zone, Flint would pass him on.  However Hogan would then change him run back towards Flint, and no-one would be marking him.  I think he had about 4 one-on-ones in 20 minutes that night.

Agreed.

Perhaps in your example though it was a case of HM being the obviously weaker partner in the duo and AF being unwilling to do what he perceived to be HM's dirty work. It wouldn't surprise me knowing what we know about Flint's psyche.

Good post though.

It will be interesting to see who gets captaincy this season, if its Bailey then i can see him possibly being preferred to Baker especially after all his injury niggles last season.

I don't know, hes not old enough to be a Louis Carey statesman captain who is happy to be backup but a steady head in the dressing room. I know the fans prefer Baker but LJ will have a tough decision as CB isn't a great position for rotation unless one gets a long injury.

Fielding                                                

Pisano                                                         Webster                                                            Baker                                           Kelly               

Pack

Brownhill                                                         New  £15m captain

Watkins                                                                                                                                                                                   ODowda

Fammy                                                                                  

In my mind  this team would be good enough to get us into the play offs. What we have been missing is a ball winning ball playing captain.

For £15 m im sure we can find this man. Why waste money on other positions while we have youngsters who can play a part in our progress.

We could also loan in a couple of players to cover our short falls.                                             

33 minutes ago, kelbcfc said:

Fielding                                                

Pisano                                                         Webster                                                            Baker                                           Kelly               

Pack

Brownhill                                                         New  £15m captain

Watkins                                                                                                                                                                                   ODowda

Fammy                                                                                  

In my mind  this team would be good enough to get us into the play offs. What we have been missing is a ball winning ball playing captain.

For £15 m im sure we can find this man. Why waste money on other positions while we have youngsters who can play a part in our progress.

We could also loan in a couple of players to cover our short falls.                                             

Korey Smith is a ball winning, ball playing captain.

On 30/06/2018 at 11:24, JBFC II said:

If Bryan and pack do go I'd like to see this... 

Fielding

Vyner Webster Baker kelly

Watkins Brownhill Smith COD Elliasson 

Diedhiou

Lots of energy there, new keeper needed and if Joe does go a new left back plus new centre mid as well which would allow odowda to go out wide

No Diedhiou for six weeks?

4 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

.........,,,,... fielding...,....,...

pisano....baker....webster......kelly

......................Pack.....................

....,,Brownhill ...........     O’Dowda

watkins ..........Diedhiou........Weimann

Weimann is apparently wasted on the wing, I'd also put korey Smith in for O'dowda to be honest

On 30/06/2018 at 16:42, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Pugh

Pugh. Barney Mcgrew. Cuthbert. Dibble.

& Grubb for sure.

Think I would move Dibble into midfield Cuthbert to LWB, Mcgrew to LCB and recruit Muffin the mule as CB. I have heard he has a big kick and is two footed

What Id Love to see us line-up like next season.

Ward (Liverpool).

Aina (Chelsea - Loan), Webster, Baker, Kelly .

Brownhill, Pack, Lod (Panathanikos).

Adelakun/Weimann, Marriott/Diedhiou, O'Dowda 

All relative. But would give us more physicality and pace, better counter-attacking.

Biggest improvement would be distribution from the back in such a scenario as Wards kicking iirc was superb.

Archived