IGNORED

Andreas Weimann - Now Confirmed - 3 Year Deal

Red Army 75

23 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

So the only place where anybody has actually said that Weimann would be a direct replacement for Bobby is the highly reliable Evening Post.

Well done for questioning the intentions of BCFC based entirely on speculation , price and before the bigger picture is available. 

I said if, I didn't straight up say it. If it is the truth then I would have to question their choices. Is it just solely money based progress or are we actually going to have a go? Not something the club has done a lot so I dont know why I expect any different.

42 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

He isn’t a striker 

But he's touted as a direct replacement for Reid, who I think isn't a striker though who all and sundry appear to think is.

He's ubiquitously described as a forward/winger so what part of that fails to make him a striker?

34 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

The Weimann who is 26 so a year older than Bobby Reid but has over 110 games at championship level to add to over his 110 at premier league level? 

Bobby Reid had a great season for sure and I wouldn’t expect Weimann to match the season we just saw but as a like for like replacement running off the shoulder of defenders and pressing then that is a hell of a replacement. May or may not work out if he did arrive but exactly the type of signing people cry out for

As a leading striker I do not see Weimann as a good enough replacement. Everyone wants to see progress right? With players improving or a top class player coming into replace him. I like Weimann and his work ethic but as a out and out striker I am not wholly impressed. 

Experience is important but it just feels like sometimes that we are a last resort for players who don't get game time at their clubs at the moment.

37 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

The Weimann who is 26 so a year older than Bobby Reid but has over 110 games at championship level to add to over his 110 at premier league level? 

Bobby Reid had a great season for sure and I wouldn’t expect Weimann to match the season we just saw but as a like for like replacement running off the shoulder of defenders and pressing then that is a hell of a replacement. May or may not work out if he did arrive but exactly the type of signing people cry out for

Many have certainly demanded we sign Championship players. When we do, inevitably they will be said to be the wrong ones.:shifty:

1 minute ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

As a leading striker I do not see Weimann as a good enough replacement. Everyone wants to see progress right? With players improving or a top class player coming into replace him. I like Weimann and his work ethic but as a out and out striker I am not wholly impressed. 

Experience is important but it just feels like sometimes that we are a last resort for players who don't get game time at their clubs at the moment.

Weiman is exactly the kind of player our club is geared up to take; not wanted by a bigger club; good experience and has quality. Like it or not players like mariot are unlikely to decide to play for us when bigger fish are lurking. Weiman is a direct replacement for reid; clever; quick and a work horse. I'm a critic of Johnson's but credit too him for good coaching of Reid and turning him into a decent goalscorer; who's to say he couldn't do the same with weiman. 

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Many have certainly demanded we sign Championship players. When we do, inevitably they will be said to be the wrong ones.:shifty:

Or seemingly very similar ones in the cases of Watkins and Weimann.

Unless LJ has a different role in mind for Weimann to replace JB as proposed by @Ska Junkie above

2 minutes ago, Cider red said:

Weiman is exactly the kind of player our club is geared up to take; not wanted by a bigger club; good experience and has quality. Like it or not players like mariot are unlikely to decide to play for us when bigger fish are lurking. Weiman is a direct replacement for reid; clever; quick and a work horse. I'm a critic of Johnson's but credit too him for good coaching of Reid and turning him into a decent goalscorer; who's to say he couldn't do the same with weiman. 

Just feels like penny pinching to me Cider red. Running and work ethic only gets you so far. Bobby always had the attributes to be a danger up the top of the pitch.

I hate that argument. If the club would sell themselves a bit better and pushed the boat out, the Gayles, Grays and Marriott's would see the project but it just seems like Lansdown is saving money to me at the moment.

Is what it is, if he comes in I'll be 100% behind the guy always but if it is as a replacement for our top scorer then we are low down our list of top targets available.

14 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

But he's touted as a direct replacement for Reid, who I think isn't a striker though who all and sundry appear to think is.

He's ubiquitously described as a forward/winger so what part of that fails to make him a striker?

He’s more of a wide man, attacking midfielder rather than a out and out striker. A striker is a number 9 type of player , he definitly isn’t that. 

1 hour ago, JustinCider said:

1 in 4 goal ratio for Villa, Derby, and Watford. Seems good value for £2M; and played 14 times for Austria, so he must have something about him.

Are there two Andreas Wiemanns?

His leagues stats ( where it matters) are:

Villa 17 in 113

Watford 4 in 21

Derby 9 in 75

So lower Premium / upper Championship he's good for 5 - 6 goals a season should he be a regular starter. So if we are looking to play him upfront that simply isn't good enough.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Really isn't better than O'Dowda and probably not Watkins either. And if the Scunny winger is as good a player as his YouTube clips suggest, then he isn't as good as him either. He's a hard worker with no end product.

Team of hard workers better than a team of Tomlins any day of the week. I guess ultimately it depends on his role in the team and whether we see things that we can improve on with coaching. Bobby Reid had no end product before last season. 

17 minutes ago, Cider red said:

He didn't with Taylor, Woodrow, Diony or Djuric .

4 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Villa 17 in 113

Watford 4 in 21

Derby 9 in 75

So lower Premium / upper Championship he's good for 5 - 6 goals a season should he be a regular starter. So if we are looking to play him upfront that simply isn't good enough.

Except he's not a striker. Just because Bobby's recently departed doesn't mean he's seen as a direct replacement.

1 minute ago, BTRFTG said:

Villa 17 in 113

Watford 4 in 21

Derby 9 in 75

From what I have seen he does score goals at an on rate played centrally. Perhaps he is a victim of his own motor? The teams he has played for usually had better strikers so to get in the side was used on the wings. Perhaps a move that would allow him to play his favoured position and with a proper run would score goals. Personally I am all for it. We lacked quality depth last season and it killed us off. Weimann only improves us wherever he plays

Just looked at his stats, 5 goals and 6 assists in 34 games last season

For perspective we only had two players that assisted more in our whole squad last season (one of whom is now gone), and only three who scored more. Two of them were strikers, and two of them are also gone.

Weimann didn't play at all as a striker for Derby, so his offensive contribution was as good as the best we have who aren't strikers.

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He didn't with Taylor, Woodrow, Diony or Djuric .

How many of those have had a consistent run of starts? Besides, the players they’ve been competing with have included Abraham, Diedhiou and Reid.  If you don’t play you can’t score.

For one; I rate Djuric very highly, but he’s had a terrible time with injuries. I feel like people have forgotten about him a bit, could be a very important player.

9 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

With COD, Watkins, Patto, Adelakun and Elliasson already on board, I don't see where Wiemann would fit into the side unless as Noggers says, it's a change of role.

We certainly seem to be top heavy with potential wide men.

Only following your lead Ska - maybe even a change of role for Watkins instead?

Perhaps the backroom/stats boys at AG have flagged up the suitability of a change of role for either of these players to the head coach - as they did with Bobby, of course - and LJ has decided to act on it in the same way?

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

With COD, Watkins, Patto, Adelakun and Elliasson already on board, I don't see where Wiemann would fit into the side unless as Noggers says, it's a change of role.

We certainly seem to be top heavy with potential wide men.

His numbers centrally aren’t bad when broken down. 9 goals in 23 starts centrally for him in various senior competitions via transfermarkt. On the face of it looks like 1:4 as a striker but many 5-15 min cameos. Imagine if I broke it down per minute wouldn’t be too shabby. Suggests to me that he could get 12 or so in a full season. That is not so bad for someone who wouldn’t be our main goal scorer. 

So I ask this, if he can initiate the press in the same fashion as Reid and add 12 goals and some link up play, would that not be acceptable? Considering we have strengthened our wing options and central midfield(by default of Brownhill moving back) I don’t think it is a horrible trade off. Believe he is actually faster than Bobby Reid too so may even add some extra benefits. Imo if this is true it is to replace Bobby and would be shrewd. 

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Only following your lead Ska - maybe even a change of role for Watkins instead?

Perhaps the backroom/stats boys at AG have flagged up a the suitability of a change of role for either of these players to the head coach - as they did with Bobby, of course - and LJ has decided to act on it in the same way?

Totally appreciated Noggers. Pure guesswork on my part but, surely, there are too many attacking midfielders now, unless someone is leaving (hopefully not COD).

As you say, maybe LJ has another 'change of role' planned for at least one of them.

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

Totally appreciated Noggers. Pure guesswork on my part but, surely, there are too many attacking midfielders now, unless someone is leaving (hopefully not COD).

As you say, maybe LJ has another 'change of role' planned for at least one of them.

I don't know how likely it is but it's certainly possible, and not unheard of elsewhere - for instance if JB goes I don't expect his new club to play him in the same role that LJ has (inexplicably, imo.) decided is his most effective.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't know how likely it is but it's certainly possible, and not unheard of elsewhere - for instance if JB goes I don't expect his new club to play him in the same role that LJ has (inexplicably, imo.) decided is his most effective.

Spot on, JB is a better wing back / left sided midfielder than he is a LB in my humble opinion. No doubt, his new employer will utilise him there rather than as a full back.

Backing up Joe here:

1DA4E99D-52CA-4361-9B28-DA4ADC598439.jpeg.8c4e6b855554355cb4baefeba2303cb0.jpeg

This type of player is the kind of market we should be trying to operate in.  He has a number of qualities that will be beneficial to us.  At £2m it sounds the right kind of move....and further re-inforce many of our thoughts that we are going to some form of 433.

Of course this might be a crap rumour.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Backing up Joe here:

This type of player is the kind of market we should be trying to operate in.  He has a number of qualities that will be beneficial to us.  At £2m it sounds the right kind of move....and further re-inforce many of our thoughts that we are going to some form of 433.

Exactly this; with weiman; watkins; possibly Scunthorpe lad; odowda and pato it looks like we will be going for quick players who can interchange; hopefully moving away from the rigid 4 4 2!

3 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Always quite liked Weimann. Surprised to see he’s only 26.

We seem to be gathering more players with English experience, and nabbing them from other clubs in our league. Change of transfer strategy for sure, wonder what’s influenced it? Is LJ having more influence? Has the current setup been told it has to focus more on short term outcomes? Interesting season to come, that’s for sure.

Would be interested to see a 4-4-1-1:

...........................New GK

Pisano.......Wright......Webster......Kelly

Watkins........Pack......Smith.....O’Dowda

........................Weimann

...........................Diedhiou 

Rotate in Brownhill, Baker, Pato, Duric and Taylor. Looks a fairly strong squad to me. This is based on Bryan and Fielding going. If we lose Pack or Smith then we need our own version of William Carvalho- someone who does the unseen, tidy stuff alongside whichever of Pack/Smith remains.

Edit: Forgot Adelakun! Wonder if he rotates with Watkins on the wing. Also, could his twin Bakinson be the Carvalho type player?

Utterly flabbergasted that anyone would select Pisano in the team! 

Absolute liability and stretches the entire team when he’s on the pitch. 

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Backing up Joe here:

You Sir have a habit of providing evidence to support your opinions. Please stop, it's not fair on the rest of us and I wouldn't want to have to bring the Mods into it*.

* it is against forum rules isn't it?

;):laughcont:

46 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Just feels like penny pinching to me Cider red. Running and work ethic only gets you so far. Bobby always had the attributes to be a danger up the top of the pitch.

I hate that argument. If the club would sell themselves a bit better and pushed the boat out, the Gayles, Grays and Marriott's would see the project but it just seems like Lansdown is saving money to me at the moment.

Is what it is, if he comes in I'll be 100% behind the guy always but if it is as a replacement for our top scorer then we are low down our list of top targets available.

What possible part of SL’s approach to investing in City suggests that he is “saving money”..?! 

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Backing up Joe here:

Some of if was a bit misleading at the CF spot as he had 6 goals in 4 games in u23s for Villa at one point. So I did break it down to just his goals in starts as many appearances were as a sub and you never know the context of those(defending a lead or going for a goal etc).

Like I asked though, could it be possible he is too good to leave out but possibly just not as prolific to be a lone striker? Think Villa and Derby generally used 1 up top and with his work rate pushed out wide to accomodate him. Think in a 2 he has real potential to shine and could be proper motivation for him to make the position his finally. 

But we've just signed Watkins for that role, haven't we? I've heard we might be looking to play him at the back and if that's what he's happy to do and WeeLee thinks he can make work then perhaps its worth a go. The issue for me was if, as suggested, we are looking to sign him to play upfront ( where we're woefully short) then he simply isn't good enough.

Archived