IGNORED

Andreas Weimann - Now Confirmed - 3 Year Deal

Red Army 75

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

What possible part of SL’s approach to investing in City suggests that he is “saving money”..?! 

Stadium aside, but in terms of playing quality. How are Bristol City going to improve if they sell their best players consistently and not bring in similar quality. 

Selling the top players for good money which is fabulous business but trying to skate through and sign players for a third or a fifth of the price screams business and maybe not SL's priority to me. It's just the way I see it at the end of the day.

13 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

What possible part of SL’s approach to investing in City suggests that he is “saving money”..?! 

I'm not so sure, given maybe 50 seasons he may get his money back.

These things take time. :whistle:

18 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Utterly flabbergasted that anyone would select Pisano in the team! 

Absolute liability and stretches the entire team when he’s on the pitch. 

Opinions mate, opinions.  I like a fit-Pisano, although as things stand i’d Be tempted to start with BW at RB for our first game (caveat - who knows who might come in and who might leave)

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Some of if was a bit misleading at the CF spot as he had 6 goals in 4 games in u23s for Villa at one point. So I did break it down to just his goals in starts as many appearances were as a sub and you never know the context of those(defending a lead or going for a goal etc).

Like I asked though, could it be possible he is too good to leave out but possibly just not as prolific to be a lone striker? Think Villa and Derby generally used 1 up top and with his work rate pushed out wide to accomodate him. Think in a 2 he has real potential to shine and could be proper motivation for him to make the position his finally. 

Being mischievous, the 127 goals scored by Bobby Reid in 78 starts for the academy as a striker, might have been behind the thought that he could be a striker.  Okay I made the numbers up, but Bobby played a significant portion of his youth football as a striker. :laughcont:

Its also rare to have 2 x 20 goal strikers in tandem.  If Diedhiou was one of them, he might want someone off of him prepared to run his nuts off and be happy to play the minor role.

I think we are in agreement that he has reasonable stats as a striker.

3 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

But we've just signed Watkins for that role, haven't we? I've heard we might be looking to play him at the back and if that's what he's happy to do and WeeLee thinks he can make work then perhaps its worth a go. The issue for me was if, as suggested, we are looking to sign him to play upfront ( where we're woefully short) then he simply isn't good enough.

He is proven to be around abouts a 15 goals a season striker, from his games played as Centre Forward, so on what basis can you you say “he simply isn’t good enough”..?!

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

He is proven to be around abouts a 15 goals a season striker, from his games played as Centre Forward, so on what basis can you you say “he simply isn’t good enough”..?!

I'm clearly looking at the wrong player. In my Rothmans Wiemann had never scored more than 7 league goals in a season (12/13) usually notches 4 or 5 and has had a few zeros in between. Looks like the only time he ever notched double figures was the same season when he bagged 4 in the league cup ( of which we should not be interested.) 

At this stage of the summer it is not unusual for 

a) Outgoings to outweigh incomings and

b) Otib to resemble the Titanic with panic everywhere.

Analysing how we will fare compared with last season is therefore mostly guesswork.

This time last year anyone suggesting Bobby would replace Tammy would have been sectioned.

Add to this that LJ made clear at the end of the season I believe that replacements would not always be like-for-like replacements, so arguably sell a striker and replace with a wide-man thereby moving over previous wide-man/men (Patterson/COD/Brownhill).

The early indications suggest that what LJ does want (understandably based on post-xmas form) is more depth to be able to keep the high-press effective over 90 minutes and a whole season. Achieve that and we have a chance of a decent season and a continued improvement season-on-season.

23 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

I'm clearly looking at the wrong player. In my Rothmans Wiemann had never scored more than 7 league goals in a season (12/13) usually notches 4 or 5 and has had a few zeros in between. Looks like the only time he ever notched double figures was the same season when he bagged 4 in the league cup ( of which we should not be interested.) 

I clearly said “based on the games that he’s played as Centre Forward” 17 goals in 52 games. 

25 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Fair play for still having a Rothmans in the age of Wikipedia. Used to love those books!

13 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

At the moment, who else is right back? 

Hopefully by August he won’t be but we will wait and see.

I’d prefer Bailey Wright at RB all day long, but I absolutely hope we sign a RB. 

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I clearly said “based on the games that he’s played as Centre Forward” 17 goals in 52 games. 

FP for having access to such stats. Would have thought even Motty would struggle to know where a player was deployed in each fixture.

2 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

FP for having access to such stats. Would have thought even Motty would struggle to know where a player was deployed in each fixture.

It’s clearly posted further up this thread. 

Surely you have access to such stats before proclaiming that “he’s simply not good enough”..?! 

6 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

I posted the stats because my gut feeling was that Weimann has been deployed in all three positions across the frontline and was interested to see whether there was a trend based on where he played.  Watching a YouTube of him showed that he was often the runner off of Benteke.

Stats only tell us so much, and only give an indication of what he might do should he sign for us.  Transfermarkt is much better than Wikipedia and is much better than Rothmans (personally I preferred the Football League Review annual publications - much more detail).

All about opinions, and I wouldn’t write off someone like Weimann....I think he’s a player in the market that we are playing in.

I don’t rate Watkins (from what i’ve seen), but I wouldn’t write him off too.  City might be his type of team.

2 hours ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

I said if, I didn't straight up say it. If it is the truth then I would have to question their choices. Is it just solely money based progress or are we actually going to have a go? Not something the club has done a lot so I dont know why I expect any different.

So the new stadium, the increasingly regular signings/ bids of £5m ++ , the development of the Academy and training facilities are lost on you as is the fact that FFP is being managed as is our sustainability?

Fine, if it's the truth that we are planning to merge with the gas and play at UWE then I'm out. I'm sure I read that somewhere.

You strike me as having accused the cake as not having risen 1 minute after it's gone into the oven.

11 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

All his stats are on the previous page . Played most of his career wide left/right Hence the lack of goals but 52 games up front 17 goals which isn’t bad . 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I posted the stats because my gut feeling was that Weimann has been deployed in all three positions across the frontline and was interested to see whether there was a trend based on where he played.  Watching a YouTube of him showed that he was often the runner off of Benteke.

Stats only tell us so much, and only give an indication of what he might do should he sign for us.  Transfermarkt is much better than Wikipedia and is much better than Rothmans (personally I preferred the Football League Review annual publications - much more detail).

All about opinions, and I wouldn’t write off someone like Weimann....I think he’s a player in the market that we are playing in.

I don’t rate Watkins (from what i’ve seen), but I wouldn’t write him off too.  City might be his type of team.

Worth taking into account his entire Villa career was in The Prem, any goal tally at that level can probably be multiplied by between 1.5 or 2 to compare it with a Championship standard.

I really hope there is something in this, though do wonder how we can fit him, Watkins, Adelakun (?), alongside O’Dowda, Paterson etc..

4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

All his stats are on the previous page . Played most of his career wide left/right Hence the lack of goals but 52 games up front 17 goals which isn’t bad . 

Says in a previous post that 6 goals from 4 games are from U23 football at Villa, so 11 goals from 48 up front which is relatively okay.

7 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

So the new stadium, the increasingly regular signings/ bids of £5m ++ , the development of the Academy and training facilities are lost on you as is the fact that FFP is being managed as is our sustainability?

Fine, if it's the truth that we are planning to merge with the gas and play at UWE then I'm out. I'm sure I read that somewhere.

You strike me as having accused the cake as not having risen 1 minute after it's gone into the oven.

Sustainability is what we all want. But im sick of the board and the management saying we are pushing for the Premier League when their actions show different. It's been happening for years. It is the hope that kills you! 

If they were honest and set realistic expectations and did that then there would be no complaints.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Worth taking into account his entire Villa career was in The Prem, any goal tally at that level can probably be multiplied by between 1.5 or 2 to compare it with a Championship standard.

I really hope there is something in this, though do wonder how we can fit him, Watkins, Adelakun (?), alongside O’Dowda, Paterson etc..

Think O’Dowda might play deeper in a midfield 3, playing a Hourihane / Cairney type role.  But just trying to second guess at the mo.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Possibly if you want to maintain a high energy style and avoid burn out you need some interchangeable players?

In part through rotation but also, to use rugby union parlance, having starters and finishers.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Think O’Dowda might play deeper in a midfield 3, playing a Hourihane / Cairney type role.  But just trying to second guess at the mo.

I would love to see that rather than limit him to the wing as for me he is the most exciting prospect we have.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Transfermarkt is much better than Wikipedia and is much better than Rothmans (personally I preferred the Football League Review annual publications - much more detail).

Never heard of the site before and interested given they've such level of detail as to how and where they source their stats? I see it's an Axel Springer company ( Bild, yeah that's a repository for the truth,)  but no detail as to whether it's nominally based on starting position or end match reportd? Not sure either way then how that helps to demonstrate what a player might do when played where? Prior to last season on the very rare occasion Reid pushed forward he was shown to be useless, confounded by his actual showing last term. Either way if we're in the market for a striker I'm expecting it to be someone far more capable than Weimann, but then City need to splash the cash if they're serious in that endeavour.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Could Brownhill and O’Dowda play in a 2 together? Do they have enough defensive instincts? Could they play in a 3 with Smith or Pack behind them? Possibly more likely. Wouldn’t be mad if we tried it. One thing they do both have is the workrate to be better defensively. 

2 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Never heard of the site before and interested given they've such level of detail as to how and where they source their stats? I see it's an Axel Springer company ( Bild, yeah that's a repository for the truth,)  but no detail as to whether it's nominally based on starting position or end match reportd? Not sure either way then how that helps to demonstrate what a player might do when played where? Prior to last season on the very rare occasion Reid pushed forward he was shown to be useless, confounded by his actual showing last term. Either way if we're in the market for a striker I'm expecting it to be someone far more capable than Weimann, but then City need to splash the cash if they're serious in that endeavour.

Useful site whatever it’s source. Player positions are based on starting positions, so of course are interpretable.

I do remember Reid playing pretty much alongside Kodjia v MK Dons in our first season back up and he looked really good before he faded.  That added fitness he’s done at B2A has done wonders for him.

At the end of the day, All our views are subjective and biased from the opinions we’ve formed.

9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Could Brownhill and O’Dowda play in a 2 together? Do they have enough defensive instincts? Could they play in a 3 with Smith or Pack behind them? Possibly more likely. Wouldn’t be mad if we tried it. One thing they do both have is the workrate to be better defensively. 

The COD left, Smith or Pack in the middle, Brownhill on right of a narrow 3 has some merits.

Its where I would’ve played Joe Bryan this season

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Useful site whatever it’s source. Player positions are based on starting positions, so of course are interpretable.

I do remember Reid playing pretty much alongside Kodjia v MK Dons in our first season back up and he looked really good before he faded.  That added fitness he’s done at B2A has done wonders for him.

At the end of the day, All our views are subjective and biased from the opinions we’ve formed.

Reid’s been working with them for years, so not sure it’s had as much impact as people think in isolation.

What’s possibly more likely is that he matured physically. With that came extra strength and stamina that he didn’t have previously. 

After reading this thread I have learnt that...

We are after Weimann.

We aren't after Weimann.

Weimann will be Bobby's replacement.

Weimann won't be Bobby's replacement.

Weimann could by Joe's replacement.

We can't afford Weimann's wages.

Weimann has an awful goal record.

Weimann has a good goal record.

Thank you OTIB for the useful information.

17 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Sustainability is what we all want. But im sick of the board and the management saying we are pushing for the Premier League when their actions show different. It's been happening for years. It is the hope that kills you! 

If they were honest and set realistic expectations and did that then there would be no complaints.

Ok- so which part of their actions have proved that they are genuinely not interested in reaching the PL.? I can give plenty of evidence to the contrary but as you are sick of the board - I'd be wasting my time. People come on here and may already have a completely polarised view which they really don't want to retract whatever evidence to the contrary. Also, people pick up speculation or a piece of a jigsaw and say- 'I knew it was shit all along and that proves it'.

You could always wait and see how our transfer business and team developes or join in the " well, if Bobby Reid plays up top then it's clear that the manager is clueless ,we're destined for relegation and the club has no offing ambition. Then join in the chorus of Bobby Reid is irreplaceable as a striker , has been sold at a ridiculous profit and this club has no effing ambition.

In terms of being honest- just exactly who do you think wouldn't complain if SL came out and said "ok guys- we are where we are and pretty much that's as far as it's going to go"?

Archived