IGNORED

Andreas Weimann - Now Confirmed - 3 Year Deal

Red Army 75

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

So if this is true then once again we’ve snuck in and done our business almost completely off the radar. Good job. 

It's a consistent theme isn't it (assuming like you said this is true).

I like it. Let this forum guess, speculate, moan etc and the club go about it's business in private. Keeps other clubs out of our business too maybe which is always nice.

Given we likely have a 20 goal a season striker in Diedhiou given how much he missed I wonder if Weimann would be brought in to match Bobby's defensive work rate we've lost, in that he's not a main striker as Diedhiou would be, it also then doesn't mean Diedhiou has to up his work rate off the ball as we saw he tired quicker when he had to. 

15 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Ok- so which part of their actions have proved that they are genuinely not interested in reaching the PL.? I can give plenty of evidence to the contrary but as you are sick of the board - I'd be wasting my time. People come on here and may already have a completely polarised view which they really don't want to retract whatever evidence to the contrary. Also, people pick up speculation or a piece of a jigsaw and say- 'I knew it was shit all along and that proves it'.

You could always wait and see how our transfer business and team developes or join in the " well, if Bobby Reid plays up top then it's clear that the manager is clueless ,we're destined for relegation and the club has no offing ambition. Then join in the chorus of Bobby Reid is irreplaceable as a striker , has been sold at a ridiculous profit and this club has no effing ambition.

In terms of being honest- just exactly who do you think wouldn't complain if SL came out and said "ok guys- we are where we are and pretty much that's as far as it's going to go"?

They should be interested but quality of players shows their ambition. £2m signings of strikers who are probably not up to standard does not show me their intention of getting there.

Bobby had always shown quality even in midfield to be a top class player and Weimann has not shown the consistent qualities to make it as a forward at several clubs.

I certainly wouldn't complain if they were honest with how they were going about their business. Don't say you're going for the Premier league and keeping the fans in tow every year with your pre season interviews and post season speeches if you're not going to go for it.

Would rather be known as a progressive club from the top and not one that says one and does another.

6 hours ago, chinapig said:

I don't see him as a winger in the old fashioned, orthodox sense. More all purpose, like Watkins as you imply, though with more pace.

We seem to be gathering players of that sort, if you take Paterson, O'Dowda and presumably Adelakun into account.

Not a direct replacement for Bobby I think, though he does have the work rate.

Some version of 4-3-3 does seem likely as you say.

If LJ wants to play a pressing game then Weimann and Watkins both fit the criteria. Both got good engines and get up and down the pitch 

1 minute ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

They should be interested but quality of players shows their ambition. £2m signings of strikers who are probably not up to standard does not show me their intention of getting there.

Bobby had always shown quality even in midfield to be a top class player and Weimann has not shown the consistent qualities to make it as a forward at several clubs.

I certainly wouldn't complain if they were honest with how they were going about their business. Don't say you're going for the Premier league and keeping the fans in tow every year with your pre season interviews and post season speeches if you're not going to go for it.

Would rather be known as a progressive club from the top and not one that says one and does another.

They have been honest about it to be fair. 

To be fair to you they talk too much and get caught out. Last game of the season Lansdown saying he hopes we push playoffs. 2 months later we are down 3 of our 15 best players and likely to be 4. Now I like the players coming in or rumoured to be but losing that core and bringing in new players is bound to have some growing pains. I wish they’d shut up about ambitions. Of course we want premier league football but could still be 2-3 years before we can proper compete for the top players many crave. Until then we have to take smaller financial risks on lesser fancied players and turn them into stars. 

17 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Derby forum reckon he's gone.

Fella over there saying Weimann always reminded him of an over excited puppy that had been on the 'fruit pastilles !

General concensus seems 'good work ethic with dubious end product/quality........in Lee's own image??

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

To be fair to you they talk too much and get caught out. Last game of the season Lansdown saying he hopes we push playoffs. 2 months later we are down 3 of our 15 best players and likely to be 4. Now I like the players coming in or rumoured to be but losing that core and bringing in new players is bound to have some growing pains. I wish they’d shut up about ambitions. Of course we want premier league football but could still be 2-3 years before we can proper compete for the top players many crave. Until then we have to take smaller financial risks on lesser fancied players and turn them into stars. 

I take your point and my preferred approach is to under promise and over deliver.

Having said that, if the club did not talk about their ambitions they would be be accused of lacking ambition!

Bit of a no win in fact.

He doesn’t fit Lampard’s plans, they want to sell / get rid of, therefore his price goes down.  We’ve snuck in allegedly and if true, it is a good price for a player who’s played considerable games in the top flight, and is an international to boot.

Top class?  Define it.  At best most people thought he had skill, but those people probably thought mid-table Champ at best.  Top class assumes Prem, and without his conversion to striker, as much as I liked Bobby in midfield, he was very, very unlikely to get there.

The aim of SL is Premier League, but he won’t bankrupt us doing it.  If spending £50-60m guaranteed Prem, he’d give it like a shot.  The returns for getting there are vast.  The risk of not getting there is no football club.  City fans most of all should recognise what happened historically.  There is also the bit that we are not fashionable.  Mitrovic given the choice of Fulham or us on the same loan deal?  What would you do (honestly)?  And that’s before you add in the London factor, the Jokanovic factor, etc.

We are progressing, staying still is hard at this level.

Of course there are many things I would change, but there has to be some realism too.

If in the summer of 2020 (2 years time) we are still selling our best players and don’t already have their replacements in place, then we’ve not progressed enough.  We are trying to find replacements on the cheap to some extent because we cannot bring in the equivalent of Aden Flint of Middlesbrough.  It’s tough being a City fan

10 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yes, pretty much what i’m Saying too.

Yes, they talk too much :grr:

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I'm just sick of the false promises. I know they want to show the fans that they are making a go at a Premier League push but their actions say otherwise.

It's talk to get more season card holders and spending less on playing staff. But a marquee signing can certainly help that too which I dont think will happen.

Its just of my personal opinion that I'd rather the club be honest with their stance on where they want the club to go and I can't see their pathway to do that at this moment in time, but there still is time for them to change that. Mind you it feels like I'm saying that every season.

Reading Derby forum, most appreciate his hard work and many a bit miffed he could leave as he was always first choice. Also a few posts mentioning him never playing his proper position as a central striker. Also Villa fans informed them he should score quite a bit at our level as a striker. Would be a very positive signing based on what I read there. Seems about 60/40 in favour of him staying there but no one was harsh about him. Good worker sometimes lacking end product. Can be worked on and confidence always plays a part. 

I'm just sick of the false promises. I know they want to show the fans that they are making a go at a Premier League push but their actions say otherwise.

It's talk to get more season card holders and spending less on playing staff. But a marquee signing can certainly help that too which I dont think will happen.

Its just of my personal opinion that I'd rather the club be honest with their stance on where they want the club to go and I can't see their pathway to do that at this moment in time, but there still is time for them to change that. Mind you it feels like I'm saying that every season.

You definitely have a good point. Just feel there is always a impatience to get to the premier league by fans of champiomship clubs. It does feel like it will get tougher every seasom but it feels that way for 90% of the clubs in the division. 

The club have said they will sell assets at peak value. This only started a few seasons ago. So the ambition for me is selling fewer key players going forward. This was an odd window because of the Reid emergence. Expected nothing from him then all of a sudden is a 15m player(if he had a longer contract). The good news is that money is usually reinvested into the club. 

They just need to not say premier league so often. Every club in the division has the same ambitions so doesn’t always need to be said. That is where the club go wrong plus like I said about SL saying he hopes we make playoffs this upcoming season when everyone knew Bryan, Reid and Flint were likely to go with clouds over players like Pack, Smith, Mags and Pato being in their final years. Should use more terms like add quality and depth to the side. 

1 hour ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Sustainability is what we all want. But im sick of the board and the management saying we are pushing for the Premier League when their actions show different. It's been happening for years. It is the hope that kills you! 

If they were honest and set realistic expectations and did that then there would be no complaints.

What do you expect them to say? We don't want promotion, just solid mid table security? 

Of course they want promotion but almost certainly when we are more ready and able to hold our own up there. Rather than promotion by vastly overspending on unsustainable wages which would mean when if we return to the Championship at the end of first season up, we'd be candidates for the asylum. 

We have the opportunity to build so that it's sustainable if and when it happens. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Think O’Dowda might play deeper in a midfield 3, playing a Hourihane / Cairney type role.  But just trying to second guess at the mo.

Think you will be right. He plays that role for rep. Ireland, if we go 4-3-3

With the signings of Watkins and weimann indicates to me we are going to go with a front three. They are both more wide forwards rather than wingers.

just depends whether we will go 4-3-3 or 3-4-3. 3 at the back seems to becoming back into fashion again.

might be reading too much into it but johnsons quote the other day when Webster signed was “he’s signed to play alongside our current centre backs”. Is that a hint at wright, Webster, baker. 

12 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

What do you expect them to say? We don't want promotion, just solid mid table security? 

Of course they want promotion but almost certainly when we are more ready and able to hold our own up there. Rather than promotion by vastly overspending on unsustainable wages which would mean when if we return to the Championship at the end of first season up, we'd be candidates for the asylum. 

We have the opportunity to build so that it's sustainable if and when it happens. 

I would have agreed with you right up until the January window and now I am not sure exactly what they do want, it was an unmitigated disaster and left many fans wondering why we never attempted to build on the success of the first half of the season and made do with playing players out of position and bringing back injured players far too early, we may never have that sort of opportunity again and we blew it and I am quite sure that the disastrous January was a deciding factor in Flint and Reid abandoning ship realising that they were treading water at BCFC.

It didn't need massive investment but it needed quality investment and at a time when our stock was flying high and players would have wanted to come and we blew it and I for one would like to know why.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I would have agreed with you right up until the January window and now I am not sure exactly what they do want, it was an unmitigated disaster and left many fans wondering why we never attempted to build on the success of the first half of the season and made do with playing players out of position and bringing back injured players far too early, we may never have that sort of opportunity again and we blew it and I am quite sure that the disastrous January was a deciding factor in Flint and Reid abandoning ship realising that they were treading water at BCFC.

It didn't need massive investment but it needed quality investment and at a time when our stock was flying high and players would have wanted to come and we blew it and I for one would like to know why.

An entirely understandable view re January, though for 'they' read Ashton I feel. His intervention was at best ham fisted and as much behind the scenes as in public I strongly suspect.

I'm sure that LJ was told from the top he had to start realising some of the value in the squad but in return has secured more authority over recruitment. Hence the signing of Championship players.

I'm reading the runes of course but it seems to fit the events at least.

17 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Spot on.

This talk of 'being ready' is nonsense, no club that gets promoted to the PL is ready unless they have been there previously and were only in the Championship for a couple of seasons.

In any case being ready doesn't fit with the plan of selling players whenever there is an acceptable bid - it is a flawed philosophy that ultimately will not work.

What happens if we are flying by December? Will we invest in January, will we gamble ? 

Or, if we got the right offers would we sell?

I have little doubt that January's activity was a key factor in Bobby and Aden leaving and probably Joe.

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

An entirely understandable view re January, though for 'they' read Ashton I feel. His intervention was at best ham fisted and as much behind the scenes as in public I strongly suspect.

I'm sure that LJ was told from the top he had to start realising some of the value in the squad but in return has secured more authority over recruitment. Hence the signing of Championship players.

I'm reading the runes of course but it seems to fit the events at least.

Sorry this is IMO a collective 'they', SL was obviously not happy and has pretty much said as much in his corporate way, MA has said sweet FA but has smiled a lot and LJ should have warned SL and MA about the dangers of not meeting the expectations of our better more consistent players and pushed harder.

It was quite obvious that as our play off chances evaporated during a relegation type run that the once together squad was disintegrating and bickering had suddenly crept in, it did not look like a happy camp at all, I made mention at the time in our game away at Middlesborough when there was a lengthy stoppage for the injury to Bamford, Flint stayed with Bamford because he was concerned, the rest of the squad stood around the halfway line in little cliques chatting, the injury came at a time when we were under the cosh and it would have been ideal time for LJ to call his players to the side line to tweak a few things or to keep the players warm and stretched but no for nigh on 12 minutes other than one or two players taking a drink they stood around chatting.

3 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Spot on.

This talk of 'being ready' is nonsense, no club that gets promoted to the PL is ready unless they have been there previously and were only in the Championship for a couple of seasons.

In any case being ready doesn't fit with the plan of selling players whenever there is an acceptable bid - it is a flawed philosophy that ultimately will not work.

What happens if we are flying by December? Will we invest in January, will we gamble ? 

Or, if we got the right offers would we sell?

I have little doubt that January's activity was a key factor in Bobby and Aden leaving and probably Joe.

Exactly did Cardiff look ready when we beat them? did they **** and they didn't look much better in the game in Cardiff.

Were Huddersfield ready the season before?

Archived