IGNORED

Andreas Weimann - Now Confirmed - 3 Year Deal

Red Army 75

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Sorry this is IMO a collective 'they', SL was obviously not happy and has pretty much said as much in his corporate way, MA has said sweet FA but has smiled a lot and LJ should have warned SL and MA about the dangers of not meeting the expectations of our better more consistent players and pushed harder.

It was quite obvious that as our play off chances evaporated during a relegation type run that the once together squad was disintegrating and bickering had suddenly crept in, it did not look like a happy camp at all, I made mention at the time in our game away at Middlesborough when there was a lengthy stoppage for the injury to Bamford, Flint stayed with Bamford because he was concerned, the rest of the squad stood around the halfway line in little cliques chatting, the injury came at a time when we were under the cosh and it would have been ideal time for LJ to call his players to the side line to tweak a few things or to keep the players warm and stretched but no for nigh on 12 minutes other than one or two players taking a drink they stood around chatting.

It's always a collective thing of course, though we don't know if LJ did as you suggest or not, and I don't absolve anybody of responsibility.

The curious thing about LJ is that he both intervenes too much, with arguably too many tactical changes, and not enough, as you describe. Over thinking things perhaps as modern coaches can.

I do think Ashton is the key man though - and he is LJ's boss - and that he intervenes too much in football side. He seems to act as both CEO and DoF, but maybe he is being reined in.

All rune reading as I say, I may be well wide of the mark.

32 minutes ago, westonred said:

He looks good when playing up front

Can finish with both feet, tap in's and from distance; finds space and doesn't mind going for the 50/50's. Admittedly only based on a YouTube video, but what's not to like for only £2M?

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

They have been honest about it to be fair. 

To be fair to you they talk too much and get caught out. Last game of the season Lansdown saying he hopes we push playoffs. 2 months later we are down 3 of our 15 best players and likely to be 4. Now I like the players coming in or rumoured to be but losing that core and bringing in new players is bound to have some growing pains. I wish they’d shut up about ambitions. Of course we want premier league football but could still be 2-3 years before we can proper compete for the top players many crave. Until then we have to take smaller financial risks on lesser fancied players and turn them into stars. 

Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

And some of the comments on here sum that up. 

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I would have agreed with you right up until the January window and now I am not sure exactly what they do want, it was an unmitigated disaster and left many fans wondering why we never attempted to build on the success of the first half of the season and made do with playing players out of position and bringing back injured players far too early, we may never have that sort of opportunity again and we blew it and I am quite sure that the disastrous January was a deciding factor in Flint and Reid abandoning ship realising that they were treading water at BCFC.

It didn't need massive investment but it needed quality investment and at a time when our stock was flying high and players would have wanted to come and we blew it and I for one would like to know why.

OMG not the January transfer window again. Can’t we give it a rest. Do we truly know if we didn’t try for better targets only to find them unattainable. If we got it badly wrong so be It, let’s move on. We are not the first and won’t be the last club to cock up a transfer window. There is not a football club on the planet who gets their recruitment policy right every time. 

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I would have agreed with you right up until the January window and now I am not sure exactly what they do want, it was an unmitigated disaster and left many fans wondering why we never attempted to build on the success of the first half of the season and made do with playing players out of position and bringing back injured players far too early, we may never have that sort of opportunity again and we blew it and I am quite sure that the disastrous January was a deciding factor in Flint and Reid abandoning ship realising that they were treading water at BCFC.

It didn't need massive investment but it needed quality investment and at a time when our stock was flying high and players would have wanted to come and we blew it and I for one would like to know why.

That could very well be the simple answer but the blow up for a second year in a row tells me it's much more complicated than that. 

How about this as a possible and feasible picture of the inner workings of players minds. 

Flint gets regular pay increases because he is more driven by money than anything else. Several posters have hinted on this being itk information. The others who are left from Cotts eleven keep pressuring for increases or festering because they're not getting any. 

The core of the side lose focus on the job in hand and as we all know, there are very fine lines between success and failure in a Championship football club. 

And of course others come in on better terms. Bobby Reid is probably the best example of that simply because until last season, he was never sure of his place in the starting eleven. 

2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

OMG not the January transfer window again. Can’t we give it a rest. Do we truly know if we didn’t try for better targets only to find them unattainable. If we got it badly wrong so be It, let’s move on. We are not the first and won’t be the last club to cock up a transfer window. There is not a football club on the planet who gets their recruitment policy right every time. 

Of course it’s still very much a valid discussion because a) it was a major factor in ******* up a great season b) the knock on effect regarding 2 of our most consistent players leaving and c) to be honest the last 12 months transfer dealings have been poor and that’s 2 January’s.

6 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

That could very well be the simple answer but the blow up for a second year in a row tells me it's much more complicated than that. 

How about this as a possible and feasible picture of the inner workings of players minds. 

Flint gets regular pay increases because he is more driven by money than anything else. Several posters have hinted on this being itk information. The others who are left from Cotts eleven keep pressuring for increases or festering because they're not getting any. 

The core of the side lose focus on the job in hand and as we all know, there are very fine lines between success and failure in a Championship football club. 

And of course others come in on better terms. Bobby Reid is probably the best example of that simply because until last season, he was never sure of his place in the starting eleven. 

And yet in games towards the end of last season 7 out of 11 starting players were at the club when LJ arrived.

We appear to be recruiting grafters which is great but as a Derby fan pointed out it when your best attribute as a forward is hard work then you know he probably lacks as an attacker, people will point to Reid but I hope we have room for some flair players.

2 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

We appear to be recruiting grafters which is great but as a Derby fan pointed out it when your best attribute as a forward is hard work then you know he probably lacks as an attacker, people will point to Reid but O hope we have room for some flair players.

I know it's only utube video,  but he looks more than a hard worker,  good finisher from the evidence,  not prolific,  but for attacking midfielder,  more goals than our current crop!

54 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Of course it’s still very much a valid discussion because a) it was a major factor in ******* up a great season b) the knock on effect regarding 2 of our most consistent players leaving and c) to be honest the last 12 months transfer dealings have been poor and that’s 2 January’s.

Continually discussing the January transfer window doesn’t move us forward. The lack of success in January was not the only reason for our failure to make the play offs or secure promotion. The players who had been so successful in the first half of the season failed to reproduce that in the second half. Tiredness was a factor but again not the only reason. 

If mistakes were made, ok, let’s learn and move on. But let’s not pretend bringing in the right players in January is easy. The only January signing that made a truly telling difference was Fulham’s capture of Mitrovic. 

7 minutes ago, SODS_LAW said:

This and Marriott would get me excited! Heard anything else about Marriott? Personally cant see it now. We’re just helping derby pay for him

Well we are the ones with the money in our hands so if Peterborough want the deal done and others aside from us are procrastinating then hopefully we are in the box seat. It all hangs on Vydra and if he is sold in the near future as Derby have to sell first

1 minute ago, INCRED said:

Well we are the ones with the money in our hands so if Peterborough want the deal done and others aside from us are procrastinating then hopefully we are in the box seat. It all hangs on Vydra and if he is sold in the near future as Derby have to sell first

Leeds close to agreeing fee for Vydra apparently. £11m which would make them favourites to sign Marriott. 

17 minutes ago, SODS_LAW said:

This and Marriott would get me excited! Heard anything else about Marriott? Personally cant see it now. We’re just helping derby pay for him

Not yet mate, Derby selling Vydra now so they may put up the cash but not been a bid accepted for him from either club yet as far as I'm aware.

17 minutes ago, SODS_LAW said:

Pretty much what I thought, saw a Twitter post saying Vydra not gone on pre season camp with Derby. Few posts saying £11-£12m to Leeds. 

7 minutes ago, Cider red said:

I don't think we will go for Marriott; think Johnson will look at what he did with Reid and believe Weiman can be as effective in a central role

I'd be inclined to agree, don't think we'll go for both. If we get another forward in addition to Weimann then I reckon it'll be Eisa from Cheltenham. 

I suspect both clubs have backed off with other targets lined up. It’s assumed that we will go for him now we have money but maybe both clubs refuse to be held to ransom and have made take it or leave it offers.

Maybe we were just getting used by Barry Fry to inflate the price. Anyway Derby rumoured to be interested in Tammy (helps with Weimann off the payroll) and we might concentrate on other alternatives and wait to see if the price comes down.

Do clubs like Peterborough get to the point when they gamble their way out of a sale and either have to drop the price or are left with a player that could have brought them some well needed income? I don't include Harry's derisory bid for both Aden and Joe in this.

21 minutes ago, Cider red said:

I don't think we will go for Marriott; think Johnson will look at what he did with Reid and believe Weiman can be as effective in a central role

Weiman is a winger / midfielder who can play forward , don’t think for one moment we won’t won’t sign at least one proper striker , Reid fee accepted with real replacement in mind, at present just 3 strikers , Taylor , Duric and the man with a six game ban 

1 minute ago, Cov 77 said:

Weiman is a winger / midfielder who can play forward , don’t think for one moment we won’t won’t sign at least one proper striker , Reid fee accepted with real replacement in mind, at present just 3 strikers , Taylor , Duric and the man with a six game ban 

As I'm sure your aware Reid was an attacking midfielder until last season; weiman has played in further forward role a lot of his career; at Villa I'm pretty sure he played more centrally. If we're going for a 4 3 3 with him; pato and one other; there is no reason it couldn't be interchangeable. 

2 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Was going to post the same. Surely we will be going for a striker 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I'm not so sure. Weimann is not a natural finisher like Reid or technically that good. If Diedhiou gets an injury then we seriously lack a goalscorer. Djuric isn't going to get many. I suppose Taylor has the potential to score goals, but has not yet managed to score many. I really think we need a Marriott or Eisa. Either of those I'd be happy with. 

Not necessarily disagreeing that mariot or someone of that ilk wouldn't be a good signing. Just don't think it will happen.

Archived