IGNORED

Andreas Weimann - Now Confirmed - 3 Year Deal

Red Army 75

Just not feeling this one tbh. I understand his versatility across the whole of the front line but I don’t think he is going to be the guy to replace the goals bobby gave us last year.

also with vydra now seemingly close to his move to Leeds it does feel that derby will pick up Marriott. Which suggests that surely we must have another striking target in mind.

could be another interesting week.

There are quite a few on here that want us to buy Championship players, but the reality is that we will not in the market for the highest quality examples. If we buy it will be players like Wiemann who has attributes that suit us, or Webster with a dubious health record but potential. 

Unfortunately that will give the nah sayers the chance to trawl through the comments from fans of the selling club's, finding the most negative items they can.

19 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

There are quite a few on here that want us to buy Championship players, but the reality is that we will not in the market for the highest quality examples. If we buy it will be players like Wiemann who has attributes that suit us, or Webster with a dubious health record but potential. 

Unfortunately that will give the nah sayers the chance to trawl through the comments from fans of the selling club's, finding the most negative items they can.

Weimann played 42 times in the league for Derby last season. The Derby who made playoffs. We would be signing a starter from a playoff team with over 100 games at championship and premier league level who is only 26 years old. Also played for his country. Contributed 11 goals being played in a less favoured position. This is literally the type of signing this forum says we should be after but when the name comes out there are still moaners. I will never understand. If you wrote a description of him and left out his name and used playoff team instead of Derby I think everyone would be more for it. Weird

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Weimann played 42 times in the league for Derby last season. The Derby who made playoffs. We would be signing a starter from a playoff team with over 100 games at championship and premier league level who is only 26 years old. Also played for his country. Contributed 11 goals being played in a less favoured position. This is literally the type of signing this forum says we should be after but when the name comes out there are still moaners. I will never understand. If you wrote a description of him and left out his name and used playoff team instead of Derby whilst saying a likely fee of £7 millionI think everyone would be more for it. Weird

It appears to be the fickle nature of fans that  the price tag plays a disproportionately large part as to whether a signing is exciting or not. If we picked Weimann up on a free then there would be an outpouring of righteous indignation that yet again the Board had gone for the 'cheap option and no ambition'.

I have no problem if we sign Weiman......except if Derby replace him with Tammy (as reported). If that occurs then I'd be concerned; a) because if Tammy is available surely we should be in for him given his time here, and b) it would feel like we were part-funding our competition to upgrade to better quality than us. Tammy would have significantly more impact in the Champ than Weiman and thats a loss for us in terms of competing with Derby and others.

Now if we sign Weiman and Marriott, perhaps thats a different matter.

Still prefer Tammy mind!

1 minute ago, Devereux said:

I have no problem if we sign Weiman......except if Derby replace him with Tammy (as reported). If that occurs then I'd be concerned; a) because if Tammy is available surely we should be in for him given his time here, and b) it would feel like we were part-funding our competition to upgrade to better quality than us. Tammy would have significantly more impact in the Champ than Weiman and thats a loss for us in terms of competing with Derby and others.

Still prefer Tammy mind!

who will chelsea want to help out more, ex chelsea legend Frank Lampard or Bristol City 

8 minutes ago, Devereux said:

Still prefer Tammy mind!

6 minutes ago, Devereux said:

Still prefer Tammy mind!

Abraham is on a big contract Derby and also pay more than us. They also have Lampard as their manager now so I think they'll always have an advantage with Chelsea loans. Chelsea would probably view a move to us as a real backwards step, but might see a move to Derby as a move to a club who should be challenging at the top of the league with a Chelsea legend as manager.

I can see why they'd send him there over somewhere like here personally.

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Strange how we see things differently. I think he'd really improve us. Played in better sides than ours for arguably all of his career including Prem and international experience. I'd actually say signing someone like him would be a bit of a coup for us. 

In terms of pedigree and high level experience, add in the fact that he's not a player who's 35 looking for a final contract, I'm not sure realistically how much better than this we could attract. I expect him to be a first team player, not a squad player.

Who would you rather see us sign instead?

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Weimann played 42 times in the league for Derby last season. The Derby who made playoffs. We would be signing a starter from a playoff team with over 100 games at championship and premier league level who is only 26 years old. Also played for his country. Contributed 11 goals being played in a less favoured position. This is literally the type of signing this forum says we should be after but when the name comes out there are still moaners. I will never understand. If you wrote a description of him and left out his name and used playoff team instead of Derby I think everyone would be more for it. Weird

Good counter arguments to what I see as a very ‘snobby’ bunch of fans / posters.  Probably be much happier if we paid £5-6m for him than £2m.

Not a Prem player some say?  He’s played 100 times....might not be the best Prem player but you don’t play 100 times at that level if you don’t have something about you.

Then left for Derby to spearhead their promotion.  It didn’t work out for Derby, but they’ve been there or thereabouts each season.  Does that make him a bad player or only a squad player here?  Ditto for your Bradley Johnson’s, your Butterworth’s, your Ince’s, your Bryson’s etc over that period.

We are after a guy who played 40+ games, starting 32 in a top 6 side.  We ought to be driving to Derby and picking him up.

He is exactly the “type’ of signing we should be excited by.

Oh and 14 caps for Austria, not a minnow either.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Good counter arguments to what I see as a very ‘snobby’ bunch of fans / posters.  Probably be much happier if we paid £5-6m for him than £2m.

Not a Prem player some say?  He’s played 100 times....might not be the best Prem player but you don’t play 100 times at that level if you don’t have something about you.

Then left for Derby to spearhead their promotion.  It didn’t work out for Derby, but they’ve been there or thereabouts each season.  Does that make him a bad player or only a squad player here?  Ditto for your Bradley Johnson’s, your Butterworth’s, your Ince’s, your Bryson’s etc over that period.

We are after a guy who played 40+ games, starting 32 in a top 6 side.  We ought to be driving to Derby and picking him up.

He is exactly the “type’ of signing we should be excited by.

Oh and 14 caps for Austria, not a minnow either.

Yes I think he's a very good signing. He won't be on a small wage either - pretty ambitious I'd say if anything. Not sure why people are turning their noses up.

I don't think he's a Reid replacement, I am pretty sure we're migrating towards a new formation and system that utilises wide players higher up the pitch more than we have been. Could be quite exciting to watch - we're clearly trying to recruit more pace and power into the side, both him and Watkins will chip in with goals too. Quite looking forward to it because I feel we've lacked genuine pace and power for ages.

Still prefer Tammy mind!

If Tammy was available to sign as a perm, then I think we’d pay our highest fee and wages to get him.  He’s not, it’ll be a loan, and I don’t think it’s right for us....might be the only one who thinks like that.

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Isn’t Tammy on £50,000 a week now? We need to move on. He’s not coming back!

Someone posted that it’s £25k pw, plus £25k per game??? 

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Happy enough with this signing but we need to bring in a more prolific striker as well given we've lost Reid and Flint.

Yes if we sign Weiman with Marriott, then I think we have done ok

13 minutes ago, Devereux said:

If the best case quotes fees of approx. 2m for AW and 5-6m for JM are correct, that would be seriously impressive considering we're getting around 10m for Reid.

Replacing Reid, who many would've sold last summer for 6 figures, with one experienced player with excellent pedigree (whilst only being 26) to play out wide and one very promising forward coming from Peterborough (with some of their fans saying he's better than Gayle and Assombalonga) would be brilliant business.

I appreciate that doesn't factor in wages, and Weimann in particular wouldn't be on a small wage, but we have recently got O'Neil and Flint off the wage bill and they would've been earning good money.

Be very very happy with this scenario and would be a great bit of business imho. As good as Weimann is, he can’t be Reid’s direct replacement - we need a goal scorer as well. But if Peterborough continue to mess around we need to start directing our interest elsewhere.  New players will need time to gel - especially with the turnover we are seeing - so we need to get our business done ASAP. 

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If the best case quotes fees of approx. 2m for AW and 5-6m for JM are correct, that would be seriously impressive considering we're getting around 10m for Reid.

Replacing Reid, who many would've sold last summer for 6 figures, with one experienced player with excellent pedigree (whilst only being 26) to play out wide and one very promising forward coming from Peterborough (with some of their fans saying he's better than Gayle and Assombalonga) would be brilliant business.

I appreciate that doesn't factor in wages, and Weimann in particular wouldn't be on a small wage, but we have recently got O'Neil and Flint off the wage bill and they would've been earning good money.

Best part of £2m off the wage bill, plus Mags and Bobby’s wages too....not forgetting Luke Steele either, nor Woodrow, Kent and Diony, who all took up last season’s budget.  I’ve ignored Garita and Golbourne even though I doubt MK were paying all his wages.

So we’ve trimmed the budget nicely.  Webster and Watkins won’t be eating up too much of a chunk of that, plus we’ve got £20m in funds from the transfers.

14 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Continually discussing the January transfer window doesn’t move us forward. The lack of success in January was not the only reason for our failure to make the play offs or secure promotion. The players who had been so successful in the first half of the season failed to reproduce that in the second half. Tiredness was a factor but again not the only reason. 

If mistakes were made, ok, let’s learn and move on. But let’s not pretend bringing in the right players in January is easy. The only January signing that made a truly telling difference was Fulham’s capture of Mitrovic. 

The discussion ends when there is an adequate explanation for the failure.

Nobody said it was easy, that's why MA and LJ are well paid it's their job and they failed. However last January should have been made easier by our success and we failed to cash in on it.

I see you chose to mention the players but not the manager in your reasoning?

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Happy enough with this signing but we need to bring in a more prolific striker as well given we've lost Reid and Flint.

We've already got a prolific striker.

Diédhiou.

14 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Continually discussing the January transfer window doesn’t move us forward. The lack of success in January was not the only reason for our failure to make the play offs or secure promotion. The players who had been so successful in the first half of the season failed to reproduce that in the second half. Tiredness was a factor but again not the only reason. 

If mistakes were made, ok, let’s learn and move on. But let’s not pretend bringing in the right players in January is easy. The only January signing that made a truly telling difference was Fulham’s capture of Mitrovic. 

As far as I can remember the only mid season signing we have made that gained us promotion in our final push was Arthur Milton in February 1955. We went up to the old second division that season and Milton duly retired from football.  He was a stylish winger who was fast, direct, and an excellent crosser of the ball.  I can see him still in my mind's eye hurtling down the wing.  The best I have seen at Ashton Gate and our only winger, I think, to have had an England cap, although of course when he was playing for Arsenal.  

PS We paid £4000 for him in 1955!  An investment well worth the cash!

Just now, Dullmoan Tone said:

Everyone is quoting his appearances record but how many did he start, I don't remember he ever played well against us (very small sample of games I admit)?

He was also part of a very poor Prem team.

I would hope there is much better available for our top wage offers.

People always say this and it has as much validity as wanting us to sign someone that played well against us once or twice (Ryan Kent).

Whether he was in a 'poor' Prem team or not doesn't really matter, it's still a far higher level than we have played at. He's also played for stronger Championship level teams than us. In short, he's consistently played at a higher level - including internationally, he's only 26 too.

This is a signing of real intent in my opinion. Unfortunately people seem to be falling into the trap of seeing him as a Reid 'replacement', the same way people wanted an Abraham 'replacement'. I think we're changing our style, and he's being bought in for that rather than as a direct replacement for Reid.

Just now, Monkeh said:

if it doesn't get overturned

Is this still ongoing?  I thought it was all done and it was only announced once we had done all the appeals. Interesting. Would be good if each player started the season with a clean slate, unless obvious bans for drugs or something. Yes the alleged spitting is disgusting and should be punished as we have all discussed, but maybe some sort of suspended sentence going into the new season, if players do anything again they are punished more harshly, eg one booking equals two etc. 

It must be hard if Diedhiou to get motivated to play when he knows he can’t. Preseason and before could be affected. He might not his place back easily if we are successful, or have more pressure on him once he comes back if we are already playing catch-up. 

Pete O'Rourke (I believe it's the real one) is saying on Twitter that he's having a medical now.

If it's the real one (I know there is a few fake versions of him on there) then this is true because he is very reliable.

He no longer has his blue tick so wasn't 100% sure but his handle on Twitter is @SportsPeteO if anyone wants to check.

Archived