IGNORED

Andreas Weimann - Now Confirmed - 3 Year Deal

Red Army 75

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

I actually think the process is working quite well, signing lots of potential and developing our own, you will get of chafe in the wheat. Now we have sold some of the wheat for good prices and seem to be looking to bring in some experience to complement the remaining wheat that is still developing. I certainly prefer this to the previous seasons of throwing around money and hoping some it lands on red when the wheel stops. It's never going to be quick enough for some, but that's the nature of any business plan.

And I agree totally with that view.

However it is does not explain the January disaster, we did not have to spend millions, although I did say at the time that with Flint, Reid and Bryan we had the opportunity to cover any money spent in January this summer.

And also believe that trying to claim that January was just a little blip, is just another excuse to add to the book. No more excuses.

Works incredibly hard, from what I’ve seen of him at Derby he tended to stay very wide in a 433. Not sure that really fits how we play, so looks like either a change of system for us, a change of role for Weimann or he’s not coming in to start.

I’d love to see us go to a 433. 

Fielding (ideally better replacement)

Pisano Baker Webster Bryan

Pack Smith [new attacking midfielder]

Weimann Diedhou/Marriot O’Dowda

But then again that’s just me who’s getting bored of 442!

3 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

However it is does not explain the January disaster, we did not have to spend millions, although I did say at the time that with Flint, Reid and Bryan we had the opportunity to cover any money spent in January this summer.

And also believe that trying to claim that January was just a little blip, is just another excuse to add to the book. No more excuses.

while it was a disaster in hindsight,

We did sign a promising winger on loan and a striker who cost 13 million on loan,

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Who knows? Players not prepared to move, clubs not willing to release them, the fixture congestion leading to the management being overstretched in their tasks? It could be a dozen of different factors. One thing is for sure, moaning about it, will not bring back that transfer window for us to try it again, so we move on and do better in this one and hopefully the next.

4 minutes ago, BarmyArmy said:

Works incredibly hard, from what I’ve seen of him at Derby he tended to stay very wide in a 433. Not sure that really fits how we play, so looks like either a change of system for us, a change of role for Weimann or he’s not coming in to start.

I can’t see any situation where Weimann comes to us as backup. Nailed on starter I’m sure. Change in system on the cards methinks. 

39 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It's not against league rules to have more than one goalscoring striker, lads.

Never said it was.

We don't need another prolific striker imo. It'd be great if we got one, but to say we "need" another prolific striker is an exaggeration 

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Who knows? Players not prepared to move, clubs not willing to release them, the fixture congestion leading to the management being overstretched in their tasks? It could be a dozen of different factors. One thing is for sure, moaning about it, will not bring back that transfer window for us to try it again, so we move on and do better in this one and hopefully the next.

We move on to the next excuse?

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Pete O'Rourke (I believe it's the real one) is saying on Twitter that he's having a medical now.

If it's the real one (I know there is a few fake versions of him on there) then this is true because he is very reliable.

He no longer has his blue tick so wasn't 100% sure but his handle on Twitter is @SportsPeteO if anyone wants to check.

Today’s papers also make it sound like a done deal at reportedly £2m.

Assuming Weimann deal is done (OS and all that!), then front 6 starting to look a bit like this (personal view)

RCM - Brownhill (Walsh)

CM - Smith / Pack (you choose!!!)

LCM - O’Dowda (assumes Bryan is leaving)

RF - Weimann (Paterson)

CF - Diedhiou (Taylor / Djúric)

LF - Watkins (Paterson / Eliasson)

Watkins and Weimann potential to swap.

The only real oddity for me is Pato in a 433.

Ok, who have I missed! :laughcont:

12 minutes ago, BarmyArmy said:

Would like to see that!

Advanced midfielder could be Paterson. O'Dowda would flourish centrally too.

New keeper/Fielding

New RB/Pisano  Webster/Wright Baker Bryan/Kelly

Pack/Brownhill Smith

Paterson/O'Dowda

Weimann/Watkins/Adelukun                               Weimann/O'Dowda

Marriott/Diedhiou

Djuric as a plan B

1 minute ago, ollywhyte said:

Would like to see that!

Advanced midfielder could be Paterson. O'Dowda would flourish centrally too.

New keeper/Fielding

New RB/Pisano  Webster/Wright Baker Bryan/Kelly

Pack/Brownhill Smith

Paterson/O'Dowda

Weimann/Watkins/Adelukun                               Weimann/O'Dowda

Marriott/Diedhiou

Djuric as a plan B

Yeah, could quite easily resort to 4231, which is what LJ payed a lot in 16/17.  Ta, hadn’t thought of that.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

People always say this and it has as much validity as wanting us to sign someone that played well against us once or twice (Ryan Kent).

Whether he was in a 'poor' Prem team or not doesn't really matter, it's still a far higher level than we have played at. He's also played for stronger Championship level teams than us. In short, he's consistently played at a higher level - including internationally, he's only 26 too.

This is a signing of real intent in my opinion. Unfortunately people seem to be falling into the trap of seeing him as a Reid 'replacement', the same way people wanted an Abraham 'replacement'. I think we're changing our style, and he's being bought in for that rather than as a direct replacement for Reid.

I disagree somewhat, if we signed some of the players that always played well against us we would be laughing, I remember Zaha always tore us apart, as did Grealish when he was on loan, as did Redmond, as did Freeman and Tomlin! I think it's an interesting benchmark on whether they are consistently good - even at a young age.

Also who ever saw Ryan Kent play well twice?

9 minutes ago, BarmyArmy said:

I would think it's better to think of a starting 11 plus subs that allows flexibility, depending on how a game pans out, the opposition sets up etc, rather than one system. In his first full season at City LJ used substitutes well to change games. Having players who can come on and change the way we are playing is surely the key, e.g. switching from a back four to three (or vice versa), pushing full backs up, playing a defensive midfielder to cover etc. I think players such as Brownhill, Paterson, O'Dowda, Watkins, Weimann could thrive. A back three worked the year we won promotion but Cotts didn't have the resources (or tactical nous?) to change it when it stopped working.

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

Because he decided to retire at the end of the season, Arsenal refunded half of the fee!  I can’t imagine that happening now. He was an England cricket and football international and finished his working life as a postman. I can’t imagine that happening now either. 

Money to be made as a postman, just ask Andy Llewelyn.

:yes:

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

Are you sure we paid 4K for him in 1955? 4K would've bought 2 semi detached houses back then so works out at about 400K in today's money. It seems a heck of a lot for a player who only played for 3 months with us before retiring.

As for mid season signings who helped us to promotion, there was that Scottish striker who played quite well for us when we were promoted under Joe Jordan. I have the name Ferguson in my mind, but I'm not sure. Think he was on loan from Hearts.

As far as I can check it was definitely £4000 paid. I think we expected him to continue with us.  As Pongo88 says above we reclaimed £2000 from Arsenal because he retired.  An excellent piece of work.

For all who like a quiz:- was Barry Meyer the last person to play football in Bristol (for both clubs) and cricket for Glos?  Will we ever again have such allrounders. I doubt it in the modern game. Was Botham the last to play professional football and cricket?

2 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

As far as I can check it was definitely £4000 paid. I think we expected him to continue with us.  As Pongo88 says above we reclaimed £2000 from Arsenal because he retired.  An excellent piece of work.

For all who like a quiz:- was Barry Meyer the last person to play football in Bristol (for both clubs) and cricket for Glos?  Will we ever again have such allrounders. I doubt it in the modern game. Was Botham the last to play professional football and cricket?

Didn't Phil Neale, ex Worcestershire skipper, play league football around the same time as Beefy as well? 

17 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I disagree somewhat, if we signed some of the players that always played well against us we would be laughing, I remember Zaha always tore us apart, as did Grealish when he was on loan, as did Redmond, as did Freeman and Tomlin! I think it's an interesting benchmark on whether they are consistently good - even at a young age.

Also who ever saw Ryan Kent play well twice?

I don't think it is at all really because it's such a tiny sample size. Most teams, when scouting someone, will watch them loads of times - and on video too - before going for them. Seeing them once or twice doesn't tell you nearly enough,

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don't think it is at all really because it's such a tiny sample size. Most teams, when scouting someone, will watch them loads of times - and on video too - before going for them. Seeing them once or twice doesn't tell you nearly enough,

Rory Fallon always scored and did well against us, didn't stop him from being shit,  

10 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

There were quite a few.

Rovers: Meyer, Ron Nicholls, Harold Jarman

City: Bobby Etheridge, David Smith, Arthur Milton

Atyeo played for Somerset Seconds. There must be others from the 1950's and 60's that I can't recall at this moment.

11 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Not quite the answer you’re looking for, but Viv Richards is the only person to play in cricket and football World Cups. For the West Indies at cricket and Antigua at football. He only played in the qualifying rounds for Antigua, but it’s still the World Cup 

18 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Didn't Phil Neale, ex Worcestershire skipper, play league football around the same time as Beefy as well? 

Yes, was he at Lincoln or somewhere like that?

Ogrizovic used to play for Shropshire in the Minor Counties.

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Not quite the answer you’re looking for, but Viv Richards is the only person to play in cricket and football World Cups. For the West Indies at cricket and Antigua at football. He only played in the qualifying rounds for Antigua, but it’s still the World Cup 

Yep, I knew that, good quiz question though!

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Assuming Weimann deal is done (OS and all that!), then front 6 starting to look a bit like this (personal view)

RCM - Brownhill (Walsh)

CM - Smith / Pack (you choose!!!)

LCM - O’Dowda (assumes Bryan is leaving)

RF - Weimann (Paterson)

CF - Diedhiou (Taylor / Djúric)

LF - Watkins (Paterson / Eliasson)

Watkins and Weimann potential to swap.

The only real oddity for me is Pato in a 433.

Ok, who have I missed! :laughcont:

Adelukun?

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, was he at Lincoln or somewhere like that?

Ogrizovic used to play for Shropshire in the Minor Counties.

Yep, I knew that, good quiz question though!

In tbe 70s Jimmy Cumbes played in goal for Tranmere, WBA and Villa and county cricket for Lancashire, Surrey, Worcestershire and Warwickshire. 

On 01/07/2018 at 09:51, JBFC II said:

Derby are after Tammy as a replacement for vydra if he goes. Would like to see Weimann but if Tammy were to be available we have to be looking to get him in my opinion. Think for 2 million weimann would be a good buy though 

Tammy is really not a replacement for Vydra

• Admin

I haven’t read the whole 7 pages but for those questioning his goal record so far, how prolific was Bobby heading into last season? You can never rule things out, he sounds like a hard worker in the Bobby mould, the way we play may add 5 or 6 goals to his game which makes his return acceptable.

Archived