IGNORED

Welcome Hakeeb Adelakun - Now signed

Buckeyed

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

But worried about his stamina though......... 

"It’s incredible to join Bristol City,” he continued. “My breath was taken away as soon as I walked into the stadium." 

:laugh:

At least he didn't say, "as soon as I was wheeled into the stadium"....

On 30/06/2018 at 00:51, downendcity said:

Some of us are at an age when we can't recognise our own families, so we've got no chance with the players!

I'm 72,  I have my Sister arriving here on July 12th, haven't set eyes on her for 30 years, perhaps we won't recognise each other when i meet her at the Airport, btw, she's 4 years older than me.

30 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

But worried about his stamina though......... 

"It’s incredible to join Bristol City,” he continued. “My breath was taken away as soon as I walked into the stadium." 

:laugh:

They obviously took him to the top of the Lansdown!  Enough to test anyones stamina!

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

I went to see my Doctor.

I told him " Doctor, I'm having a problem and maybe you can help. You see every morning at 7.30 I pee and then at 8.30  I have a bowel movement"

The Doctor replied " that's great Mr Downend, I hope I'm as a regular as you are when I get to your age. So, what's the problem?"

"I don't wake up till 9!"

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

So we get a player that Premier League sides tried to sign, as well as a number of other teams in the Championship.

But he's not good enough for you because you're ignorant of who one of the higher rated lower league youngsters is.

In fairness James

The same claim was made about Gustav and Eliasson 

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

In fairness James

The same claim was made about Gustav and Eliasson 

Fair point.

But Adelakun has played against City in the not distant past, whereas Engvall and Eliasson were actual unknowns to most of us (all bar the Swedes?).

He isn't moving across the continent to join us and has plenty of experience of English football (179 games at Scunny).

There's quite a lot of differences to signing Adelakun to signing Engvall.

7 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Third time lucky...

P.s Bob- I've noticed you may be getting the band back together in time for the new season- pity, I was beginning to enjoy your new solo career.

How exact do we expect our transfer business to be?

It would be wonderful if every transfer was a bang on success, but I'm pretty sure this is, and never will be  the case for any club. For every Flint or Fammy there will be an Engval or Tomlin and I suspect this has always been the case. 

The difference now is that we are dealing at a pricier ( for us) end of the market so when a transfer doesn't come off fans will doubtless pick up on the £1m or £2m  transfer fee, and all the more so as many fans want to pin as much as possible onto LJ or MA , or both of them!

The good news is that while Engval and Tomlin didn't work out as we hoped, we pretty well recouped the fees we paid for them  an this is one heck of an improvement on a few years ago when we lost money hand over fist shipping out failures on big wages.

16 minutes ago, downendcity said:

It would be wonderful if every transfer was a bang on success, but I'm pretty sure this is, and never will be  the case for any club. For every Flint or Fammy there will be an Engval or Tomlin and I suspect this has always been the case. 

The difference now is that we are dealing at a pricier ( for us) end of the market so when a transfer doesn't come off fans will doubtless pick up on the £1m or £2m  transfer fee, and all the more so as many fans want to pin as much as possible onto LJ or MA , or both of them!

The good news is that while Engval and Tomlin didn't work out as we hoped, we pretty well recouped the fees we paid for them  an this is one heck of an improvement on a few years ago when we lost money hand over fist shipping out failures on big wages.

The third time lucky was in answer to Bob: in irony and he'll get it.

Personally, I'm delighted with our transfer business both in and out.

You've obviously never read any of my posts in this respect.

11 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

The third time lucky was in answer to Bob: in irony and he'll get it.

Personally, I'm delighted with our transfer business both in and out.

You've obviously never read any of my posts in this respect.

My comment was more of a general one, rather than directed at your post. I apologise if I've missed your previous posts in this respect.

It's just that the third time lucky comment resonated with so many posts on here both  questioning our transfer business this summer, in light of losing Flint, Reid ( and probably Bryan) and critical comment about some of our apparently less than successful transfers into the club.

The club is evolving along the lines that SL has et out for the club's financial progress. Players like Flint, Reid and Bryan are very much the "old guard" from pre LJ, and my own feeling is that the antipathy many seem to have towards LJ/MA/the"club" means that they focus on these players leaving as a critical reflection on the management. There are sound reasons why those players would want to leave in order to further their careers both professionally and financially, and the club have done or will do the right thing from the club's pot of view if they ensure that we get the best fee when they do leave.

Like you, I am excited by some of the new players we are bringing n and the young players we are developing in house, but I also understand that there are many who make an instant judgement that they cannot be as good as those we are losing.

48 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Did we manage that on the Engval transfer ? I thought the fee was undisclosed.If we did recoup what was paid then that was a job well done.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Fair point.

But Adelakun has played against City in the not distant past, whereas Engvall and Eliasson were actual unknowns to most of us (all bar the Swedes?).

He isn't moving across the continent to join us and has plenty of experience of English football (179 games at Scunny).

There's quite a lot of differences to signing Adelakun to signing Engvall.

I agree

As a general rule glad we are shopping in  UK

Can’t say  I have any depth of knowledge about Adelakun but he sounds the right sort of signing for us / with the plan

As always, Football Manager is my reliable source. This is his profile. Seems to have some very lovely skills, especially pace and acceleration. His height could definitely be an advantage too. Can play right wing just like Weimann, which is interesting. If we sign Weimann too, suppose that could mean we're looking to play him more as a striker?

20180702172625_1.thumb.jpg.c2c980406d93a778405e513b70c7795e.jpg

16 minutes ago, Lympsham Red said:

As always, Football Manager is my reliable source. This is his profile. Seems to have some very lovely skills, especially pace and acceleration. His height could definitely be an advantage too. Can play right wing just like Weimann, which is interesting. If we sign Weimann too, suppose that could mean we're looking to play him more as a striker?

20180702172625_1.thumb.jpg.c2c980406d93a778405e513b70c7795e.jpg

Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole with that 8 Determination, 8 Teamwork 10 Work Rate combination :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

So we get a player that Premier League sides tried to sign, as well as a number of other teams in the Championship.

But he's not good enough for you because you're ignorant of who one of the higher rated lower league youngsters is.

I very much like the sound of Hakeeb, so I'd like this to be true, but I don't believe it for one minute.

If 'a host' of PL clubs - according to the writer on the OS - seriously wanted to sign Adelakun I've no doubt he'd have chosen one of them over City.

They'd have outbid us with ease and could have offered wages to blow City's contract offer out of the water.

LJ's welcoming spiel makes no mention at all of beating off all this PL competition for his signature, it just seems to be a headline and opening paragraph by the media bloke with no obvious foundation.

Attention grabbing headline, good PR if you take it at face value, and no doubt, like hosts of others, he has been scouted by top flight clubs, but the way it's presented on the OS is likely to be a huge exaggeration imo.

One of the guys I work with is a Scunthorpe fan, this is view,

he's inconsistent ever MOTM or you forget he's in the pitch, has a lot of pace and can beat a man, he felt his best point is his crossing and assists and set up a lot of goals last season, he has a goal in him but can miss a very easy chance

Sounds like he could be good but still needs some work

23 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

This is more like the sort of player we should be signing . Interesting to see how he develops and great he has so many league games played for a young lad .  Cost vs risk more in our market . 

You mean instead of Weimann? Just curious. We lacked real leadership and experience when it mattered last season and finished it miserably.

You need a mix of both! Watkins is also an experienced lad at this level. You could argue Webster is and he’s only 23!

I’m pleased to see we’re making these sort of signings, rather than the likes of Engvall, Hegeler, Giefer and Diony who were massive gambles. 

Archived